Author Topic: How will wealth and resources be handled?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How will wealth and resources be handled?
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
I've got one player who always like to be extremely wealthy - like Russian oil oligarch wealthy  ;D

How will it be handled in DFRPG?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: How will wealth and resources be handled?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »
Take the Resources skill as one of your apex skills and spend a few refresh on stunts that make your Resources skill even more swanky.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:56:33 AM »
Very nice!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:23 AM »
Here's a sampling of possible resources stunts, in fact:

Filthy Lucre: If it involves using money and other gifts in illegal or corrupt ways—bribery, mainly—you have a talent for making it work. Your dirty money travels farther, made frictionless by the greasy stain of it all. Gain a +2 to Resources whenever using it for illicit purposes.

Lush Lifestyle: Your wealth is well-established and robust, making you the man or woman who has everything. Normally, someone may be assumed to have an item that costs two steps less than his Resources without having to seek it out and buy it, assuming that it makes sense for him to have attained it previously. In your case, it’s any item equal to or less than your Resources.

Windfall: You’re occasionally able to tap into more Resources than usual, such as cashing out stocks or receiving a periodic disbursement from a trust fund. Once per adventure, you may spend a fate point to make a single Resources roll at +4.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:48:35 AM »
I really like those. You could do everything from a Marcone to "Old Money" types with those stunts.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:57:15 AM »
I really like those. You could do everything from a Marcone to "Old Money" types with those stunts.
Indeeed!
Fred Hicks

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:34 AM »
I saw on the art direction post that one of the Baltimore PCs had inherited a manor and estate. How would that be handled? Would you represent it with high resources and just write that in at character creation or is it like Diaspora/SBA where you have a stunt like Have a Thing?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
I saw on the art direction post that one of the Baltimore PCs had inherited a manor and estate. How would that be handled? Would you represent it with high resources and just write that in at character creation or is it like Diaspora/SBA where you have a stunt like Have a Thing?

Sometimes you don't even need to do that. The manor & estate in the Baltimore game is rife with its own problems (there are literal skeletons in the closets, as it were), so it's more a burden to Evan Montrose, its ostensible owner, than a benefit. :)

The benefits, yeah, I'd probably just cover with higher Resources.
Fred Hicks

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
What if I wanted an expensive item without having to put up a big score of Resources?

For example, my first character concept is a Scion of the Asgard, a great-great-etc grandchild of Thor Odin-son.
I'm imaging him as a biker type bad boy (think Sons of Anarchy), dead broke but he's got a sweet-ass Harley bike.

I was thinking of just taking it as an Aspect (Don't mess with my Hog).

Or how's 'bout Dean Winchester's Impala? 
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
Yeah, there's flexibility there. If you want to assert that you've got something, something particularly important to your character, an aspect is a pretty easy way of establishing that -- it essentially would reflect something true about your background, and in a way that couldn't be taken away from you.  Resources is more about acquiring things you don't yet have. :)
Fred Hicks