Author Topic: BOARD POLICY: NO STORY IDEAS  (Read 33911 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
BOARD POLICY: NO STORY IDEAS
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:38 PM »
We're lucky enough to have one of the series creators on our boards and looking in on this forum from time to time.  However, for legal reasons, he can't look at any threads that contain story ideas.  In fact, if they're there, it may be cause for him to have to leave and not come back.

We don't want that!

So, as of now, I'm making it a policy for this board that story ideas for the TV series should NOT be posted here.  If you do want to make such discussion, have it over on the McAnallys board, so it can be safely kept away from the eyes of the TV folk!

Best,

Fred
(The Guy In Charge)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline HeWhoWalksBehind

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: BOARD POLICY: NO STORY IDEAS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:14:50 PM »
aye aye sir!   ;)

Offline terroja

• Participant
  • Psycho Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »
Kay.
A man feared that he might find an assassin;
Another that he might find a victim.
One was more wise than the other.

Offline Star_Controller

• Conversationalist
  • Member of the Black Spathi Squadron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:11:26 AM »
As you say, so it shall be.
though as a question, what qualifies as a story idea? can we say "i wish we would see more of character X?" is it only specific plot things... i guess im asking, 'how vague would pass here?"  if we're severely blocked in what we can say, we might as well move 9/10ths the discussion over to to all-go board.  imho.  --Star Controller
Nine-tenths of the universe, in fact, is the paperwork.

"I will *hear* you." --Dak'kon

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »
As you say, so it shall be.
though as a question, what qualifies as a story idea? can we say "i wish we would see more of character X?" is it only specific plot things... i guess im asking, 'how vague would pass here?"  if we're severely blocked in what we can say, we might as well move 9/10ths the discussion over to to all-go board.  imho.  --Star Controller

Non-issue.  I can't exactly provide examples of what *would* be story ideas since, well, that'd violate things.  But you can say what you're asking if you can say. :)

Questions aren't story ideas.  Referring to the books or existing episodes aren't story ideas.  New material, "hey, I had this neat idea for a story" -- that's story ideas. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
  • Order of the Slightly Dented Denarius
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
I can't exactly provide examples of what *would* be story ideas since, well, that'd violate things.

I can: Storm Front.
This is not a .sig. It is a cabbage.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »
I can't exactly provide examples of what *would* be story ideas since, well, that'd violate things.

Except I implied that as an example of what is acceptable.  Like Robert Wolfe said, referencing ideas from the published books is okay.
Fred Hicks

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »

Except I implied that as an example of what is acceptable.  Like Robert Wolfe said, referencing ideas from the published books is okay.

I use the "What if" concept -- "What if Harry did X?" "What if Y happened to Harry?" "What if Murphy did Z and M happened to her?"

In short, if the idea can be framed as a "What if" question, then its a story idea and should not be posted......

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Chaos985

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
this should be a safe way provide an example, if not, delete it.

story idea: (type of thing you cant do.)

Darth vader needs to go searching for the children while hunting the few remaing jedi.

then he should have to run into trouble from rebling planets, thus running into the need to construct a weapon that can destroy planets.

Offline tomfoolry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »
How about soundtrack/song ideas? I was thinking about making a post regarding a song that is a perfect fit for one of the scenes in the books, and it seems like there would most likely be a similar scene at some point  in the series. It seems like this might fall in the same legal category, so I figured I would clear it here before posting.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 11:16:10 PM »
How about soundtrack/song ideas? I was thinking about making a post regarding a song that is a perfect fit for one of the scenes in the books, and it seems like there would most likely be a similar scene at some point  in the series. It seems like this might fall in the same legal category, so I figured I would clear it here before posting.

There's already a thread for soundtrack ideas.  Check it out here.

Offline tomfoolry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:20 PM »

There's already a thread for soundtrack ideas.  Check it out here.

Offline Naunett

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:43 PM »
LOL...I wouldn't even know a good story idea if it came up and bit me in the butt....Butcher does very well on his lonesome.

mezzosoprano

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
I think I may have put a story idea on the ask Robert Wolfe thread before I read this.  Maybe you should delete it?

mezzosoprano

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 05:54:14 PM »
never mind.  I just realized I could remove it myself and I did.