Author Topic: Tools for Writers  (Read 40619 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for Writers
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Brandon Sanderson's Creative Writing course on I believe genre writing is being filmed and being made available on Youtube  for those writers who can't/don't want to take his classes at BYU: http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/home/
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
Just another note to sing the praises of Scrivener.  Pretty versatile and convenient once you get the hang of it.  No more lost gems of ideas or great snatches of dialogue, for one thing...

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts here so does Tools include books and workshops??

and Paynesgrey  on your coexist pic. I recognize them all except for the S and the i
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts here so does Tools include books and workshops??

and Paynesgrey  on your coexist pic. I recognize them all except for the S and the i

I believe there is another thread for books, but don't have a link handy.

To get you started:
On Writing by Stephen King
Techniques of the Selling Author by Dwight Swain
   (Jim's blog posts are the free 15-20 page condensed version)
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

Paynesgrey sig:

C - Deathstar
O, E - Enterprise - Constitution or Galaxy class, I can' tell.
X - x wing fighter or maybe a starfury from B5
I - sonic screwdriver from Dr Who
S - from the S in the Farscape logo.
T - Firefly / Serenity.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »

Thanks MClark

I wouldn't have recognized the S from Farscape, I've only seen one episode. And I don't recall ever seeing the sonic screwdriver up close like that. Oh well.

But I believe the Enterprise is the Original one. That is a standard drawing of it.

I believe there is another thread for books, but don't have a link handy.

To get you started:
On Writing by Stephen King
Techniques of the Selling Author by Dwight Swain
   (Jim's blog posts are the free 15-20 page condensed version)
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

Paynesgrey sig:

C - Deathstar
O, E - Enterprise - Constitution or Galaxy class, I can' tell.
X - x wing fighter or maybe a starfury from B5
I - sonic screwdriver from Dr Who
S - from the S in the Farscape logo.
T - Firefly / Serenity.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 03:07:06 AM »
Thanks MClark

I wouldn't have recognized the S from Farscape, I've only seen one episode. And I don't recall ever seeing the sonic screwdriver up close like that. Oh well.

But I believe the Enterprise is the Original one. That is a standard drawing of it.

The sonic screwdriver for the i has the Stargate as the dot.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 04:32:53 AM »
 ;D

Back on the topic of Tools For Writers...

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/

I'd like to suggest everyone read (or re-read) Jim's livejournal on writing.  I know everyone has a different style, different thought process, etc...

But I've found that what he says works.

I'd read the entries as they came out, and hadn't given them much thought until I started working on a totally original story recently.  And I sat down again and sloooowly read them over, thought about my work, the things that just didn't feel right (write?), the bits that clomped instead of singing, or why this or that just didn't carry the weight I wanted it to.  And there was much palm unto the face, and much speaking of "Oh, shit!  That's what's missing!" 

Those livejournal entries have given me a great deal of food for thought, and tools for analyzing (and correcting) some of the more blatant rough spots in my project.  Things were wrong, or maybe just not quite right, but I didn't know what I was missing. 

Give it a read.  Think about what the man's saying, and think about the things in your work that are giving you trouble.  You fix even one rough patch, one bit that didn't sing the story in your head, and you'll find your motivation surge like a fat man's cholesterol at oktoberfest.  Or the 4th of July.  Or Thanksgiving.  Or whatever holiday involves nommy food people who don't want to die shouldn't eat.

You get the picture. 

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
I've printed 'em out and keep 'em in a binder for easy reference. Reminds me, I should add the one from Nov. It's also what gave me the idea to make this--

Although I haven't updated the cards in a really long time. That's still from the first craptacular draft. Probably update it once I finish this draft-easy to move things around and find the subplots, then.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
  • Donald Morgan's Demented Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:16 AM »
On Compelling Realities:

I have often been called a 'knowledgeable' person, because if I don't know something, I dig into it. However, there is a fine line between being 'knowledgeable' and being educated. Many times I have hit walls creating a believable reality due to the fact I have lived a very sheltered (not easy, mind you) existence. I have spent most of my life in a rural Wyoming area.

So my question is; if a writer is ignorant of certain facts, where does one go to make their realities as believable as possible? What resources do writers who don't know use to know? One of the things I like about Dresden is that Mr. Butcher sets a very convincing background in Chicagoland. He conveys a myriad of nuanced details that gives you the distinct impression he's spent a lot of time there. How can I write, say, a murder mystery in New York, if I've never been there before? And have it ring of the nuanced information Mr. butcher presents in Chicago to provide the best read for the audience; particularly those living in Chicago who are in the know. So say, if I try to say the Adirondacks has Redwoods, and they don't, then anyone reading my work in New York knows I've never been there before. (I'm not working on this, but it's a scenario.)

Obviously, one can use field guides for much of the fauna and foliage, but what about actually seeing and knowing the place? What about street locations and buildings associated with them? (I assure you Google Maps isn't the best option; I googled our town and the images are over a decade old. :O)

In other words; what resources have helped many of you when faced with this sometimes seemingly insurmountable dilemmas? 

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
On Compelling Realities:

I have often been called a 'knowledgeable' person, because if I don't know something, I dig into it. However, there is a fine line between being 'knowledgeable' and being educated. Many times I have hit walls creating a believable reality due to the fact I have lived a very sheltered (not easy, mind you) existence. I have spent most of my life in a rural Wyoming area.

So my question is; if a writer is ignorant of certain facts, where does one go to make their realities as believable as possible? What resources do writers who don't know use to know? One of the things I like about Dresden is that Mr. Butcher sets a very convincing background in Chicagoland. He conveys a myriad of nuanced details that gives you the distinct impression he's spent a lot of time there. How can I write, say, a murder mystery in New York, if I've never been there before? And have it ring of the nuanced information Mr. butcher presents in Chicago to provide the best read for the audience; particularly those living in Chicago who are in the know. So say, if I try to say the Adirondacks has Redwoods, and they don't, then anyone reading my work in New York knows I've never been there before. (I'm not working on this, but it's a scenario.)

Obviously, one can use field guides for much of the fauna and foliage, but what about actually seeing and knowing the place? What about street locations and buildings associated with them? (I assure you Google Maps isn't the best option; I googled our town and the images are over a decade old. :O)

In other words; what resources have helped many of you when faced with this sometimes seemingly insurmountable dilemmas?

That is a good question. A novel I just finished revising takes place in Boulder, Colorado. I never been to Colorado much less Boulder. So I asked on a different writing forum I belong to and found someone who lives there who was dealing to share and put up with my questions. And since this is fiction I made up a few things. Like a certain Hotdog Palace and apartment complexes. But I put in real highways, clubs and such.  Another novel takes place where I live. So I am putting in places, roads, highways, ranch areas that are real. But I also included a couple of made up dance clubs. I know there a few here but I'm not involved with dance scene here or anywhere.

Laura Resnick has studied New York and put in a few things that are real but added an off broadway theater and local characters. 

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:43 AM »
I would think that an online forum like this one would be a gold mine for finding out about places you've never been. Some time back someone asked a question about a location, I believe it was a high rise in Hong Kong, and got several replies from people that knew the area. That is probably the best option. Contacting the Chamber of Commerce of a town orcity or the Department of Tourism if they are large enough might get you more information. Inevitably you are going to get something wrong if you are writing about somewhere that you don't know. If it's small enough and your story is good enough, most people are going to overlook it or even feel special that they noticed something that no one else did. Occasionally you will get a troll. I remember reading a comment from someone, I believe it was on Twitter although I don't remember for sure, that was outraged because Jim had written about the neighborhood that they lived in and they thought it was falsely negative. I think most people just ignored them as a troll.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »
I would think that an online forum like this one would be a gold mine for finding out about places you've never been. Some time back someone asked a question about a location, I believe it was a high rise in Hong Kong, and got several replies from people that knew the area. That is probably the best option. Contacting the Chamber of Commerce of a town orcity or the Department of Tourism if they are large enough might get you more information. Inevitably you are going to get something wrong if you are writing about somewhere that you don't know. If it's small enough and your story is good enough, most people are going to overlook it or even feel special that they noticed something that no one else did. Occasionally you will get a troll. I remember reading a comment from someone, I believe it was on Twitter although I don't remember for sure, that was outraged because Jim had written about the neighborhood that they lived in and they thought it was falsely negative. I think most people just ignored them as a troll.

M-m-mr. Butcher got something wrong?! QQ My dreams are shattered. LOL JK Yeah, some people just have way too much time on their hands to get ticked off over such small nuances like that. Sometimes it's even good for a laugh. My mom loves the Dick Van Dyke murder mystery, Diagnosis Murder.  We just started giggling when they proudly pronounced the Capital of Wyoming... Casper. XD The replies to this have been very helpful. (Y) Thanks guys!! (Other posters feel free to add more though, as I'm an insatiably curious beast, LOL)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
Occasionally you will get a troll. I remember reading a comment from someone, I believe it was on Twitter although I don't remember for sure, that was outraged because Jim had written about the neighborhood that they lived in and they thought it was falsely negative. I think most people just ignored them as a troll.

Of course Butcher gets Trolls, haven't you read his first story???

Clears throat and ducks.   :)

Anyway, I'm not sure if Butcher got that neighborhood wrong, it could be just one person's prejudice since they lived there.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
My point exactly.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:39 AM »
Next to Jim Butcher's Livejournal, I have found THE most invaluable writing resource around:

http://www.scribophile.com/

Here's how it works:

You critique other people's works to earn 'Karma'. When you have enough Karma, you post your own work (In segments if your work is over 3k words. Makes it easier to critique.) This necessitates everyone getting critiqued at least once, and usually more than that due to the spotlight system. It's free to join, and you have two slots to upload works, but if you pay the $9.00 a month for Premium, you can have unlimited slots. Either way works fine. (There are a few extra perks with Premium, but nothing you absolutely have to have. It just gives you more options for streamlining critiquer responses to get the most information out of them.)

I wish I had known about this back when I was submitting my writings. Awesome, AWESOME site!!