Author Topic: Adding a few Moderators?  (Read 11416 times)

Offline Seriphina

• Posty McPostington
  • Mouse in the House
    • View Profile
Adding a few Moderators?
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:18 AM »
Things seem to be getting a little heated in a couple different sections of the boards.  I've heard that some people are starting to delete their accounts because they feel as though their concerns are not being heard.

I'm wondering if perhaps the Moderators could just use a little more help, a couple new compatriots to help keep the peace, a few more eyes and "ears" as the case may be.  If for no other reason than to make the boards more enjoyable for you, as well as other posters.

Not saying that you aren't doing your jobs, because from what I can tell you are doing your best.  I just wondered if you might like some help to shoulder a little of the "burden".   ???

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a few Moderators?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
I just had this image of Jayne moderating...

"Don't hurt, just scare him."

"But pain is scarey."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
The primary help we require is for people to report the incidents using the convenient "report this post" button, not sit around imagining that for some reason our Moderator Sense will start tingling and we'll swoop in and save the day.  No number of moderators, small or large, will ever be perfect at the job without forum members on the ground reporting problems, just like a police force would stop fewer crimes if nobody ever called 911.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »
Take it from someone who used to moderate a forum that was deliberately slanted toward the less-than-polite:  After awhile, you stop being able to tell the mod sense tingle from the kind of tingle that needs a shot of penicillin to clear up.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

comprex

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
fter awhile, you stop being able to tell the mod sense tingle from the kind of tingle that needs a shot of penicillin to clear up.

I used to have a keyboard that was almost that nasty.  I had to throw it out when the keys started jamming.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
I just had this image of Jayne moderating...

"Don't hurt, just scare him."

"But pain Payne is scarey."

Fixed it for you
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
Fixed it for you

Why thank you!   ;D

Now, if somebody up and writes a "Ballad of Payne, The Snarker of Canton", then I shall run quite mad with power.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
Why thank you!   ;D

Now, if somebody up and writes a "Ballad of Payne, The Snarker of Canton", then I shall run quite mad with power.

Why wait? I already run quite mad without power.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
I've heard that some people are starting to delete their accounts because they feel as though their concerns are not being heard.

Not to be the hard ass here, but if people are doing this...  maybe they are taking the forum too seriously?  The Mods are all volunteers, and really don't have to ask how high....
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Jen'ari

• Posty McPostington
  • So be it, Jedi.
    • View Profile
    • TUMBLR (NSFW)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
Pumpkins are fruit....
Peace is a lie; there is only passion
-Through passion, I gain strength - Through strength, I gain power - Through power, I gain victory -
- Through victory, my chains are broken-
The Force shall set me free

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 12:43:56 AM »
Did you just squash the thread?
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Not to be the hard ass here, but if people are doing this...  maybe they are taking the forum too seriously?  The Mods are all volunteers, and really don't have to ask how high....

To delete accounts?  Probably.  To scale back to just lurking or leave without deleting the account?  Nope.  After someone's concerns are ignored or pooh poohed often enough, they'll leave.
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 01:16:05 AM »

I for one am glad someone more, beloved*, brought that up.  I was thinking it, but I don't want my thoughts on the matter getting twisted...again.

*I truly mean this, I luvs you too!

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 01:43:37 AM »
I dunno about Beloved, but thanks.  Older, more experienced...  a Mod will take actions that the person reporting the offense will never hear about.  Why?  Because it is always best to criticize in private.  You really can't expect a Mid to say to you, "Yeah he stinks, I smote him for you, good!"  Even if they really do think he stinks and they smote him good. 

Moderate.  Moderate.  Not extreme, partisan or radical. 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 04:08:40 AM »

I never could get my head around arguing heatedly about a third party's imaginary friends.  I'll chew to the bone on social or political issues because they can affect my real world life, but the rest of it is sort of like "Can the Death Star beat the Enterprise".  Then again, I usually lurk on the story/book threads, occassionally mumbling "ah, uhm-hmm" to myself.