Author Topic: Must... make... Dresden Files... MMORPG...  (Read 13501 times)

Offline Djoru

• Participant
    • View Profile
Must... make... Dresden Files... MMORPG...
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:09:51 AM »
I love tabletop gaming, but since the group I gamed with for years all moved in different directions I've gone to the well of not so fresh water that is the MMORPG gaming scene.

I think that the Dresdenverse would make an absolutely awesome backdrop for an online game.

Currently, there's not a single MMO with an urban and modern, vampire, werewolf, and magic theme.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that most of the crowd who posts on MMORPG boards is looking for something different, and a modern/urban/gothic <--(for lack of a better word) themed MMO would shine like the sun in the sea of medieval time and space sci fi themed games.

Granted, MMOs are expensive to get off the ground and maintain, but they also bring in monthly subscription money, and if the game is done right, with polish, feeling, and pride... people will pay and play, and play, and... yeah, you get it.

So is there any chance that we will see a MMORPG set in the Dresdenverse?

Offline bentleyml

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Must... make... Dresden Files... MMORPG...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:12:43 AM »
I would honestly have to say it's unlikely.  I just don't think the Dresden Files are popular enough for it.  It would be interesting, but I think it would be very difficult for a MMORPG to capture the feel of the books. 

Offline Djoru

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:19:51 AM »
I know an MMORPG couldn't come close to capturing the feel of the books. I'm not sure that a table top game could either, unless it was run by Jim himself. I could be wrong.

On the other hand, the races and the inherent turmoil and politcal unrest between everyone would make for some awesome faction vs. faction wars and RPing. Not to mention the fact that the genra desperately needs something fresh, and as far as I know there's never been an MMORPG based in modern times with vampires, pixies, wizards, werewolves, swordsman, ect.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
If anything in that genra were to be produced, by bet is on a WoD setting mixing Vamps, Wolves, Hunters, Mages, Spirits, and Changelings.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
Dear god, that'd be horrible if it was like WoW. Need more Roleplay, less Rollplay for WoD.

There is a Dresden MUSH in the works ;) Theoretically.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Djoru

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:37:48 AM »
I hate WoW and what it has done to the genra. I played SWG (Star Wars Galaxies for the uninitiated) before it got dumbed down and ruined. I loved the freedom and RPing in that game. Back then the game truely was a sandbox rife with a plethora of RPing experiences to be had. It was fun and engrossing and the players made the the stories happen with what the developers laid out.

What's a MUSH?

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
Honest to gawd internet roleplaying. Purely text-based. People, objects, and rooms have descriptions.

You walk into a room, and it gives you a description of the room and its contents. You can look at the contents of the room (including players). Then you pose what you say or do, and they pose back.

Jim & Iago both MUSHed on AmberMUSH (based off the popular Roger Zelazny series). So did I, both before and after them, apparently. I have also been quite heavy on several of the older White Wolf-themed games.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline HornedToad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
Honestly I think the Dresden files style world would actually work quite well for a MMORPG.  Seems full of complexity, conflict and possible storylines.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 06:59:17 AM »
But how many MMORPG players play for the storylines? I've played Ultima Online, City of Heroes/Villians, and D&D Online, and all three were lite on story. COH and DDO at least made attempts at story, but most people play through barely reading the stuff just to acrew XP. Too many munchkins out there just wanting to crunch out levels and be l33t.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »
I tried to play some of the old white-wolf MUSH's but never really found time for it. A Dresden Mush would be interesting, thats for sure.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline CBeilby

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 03:24:15 AM »
Actually, since Mick's post on the 10th of January, there are now theoretically two MUSHes in development.  Semiautomagic, which is run by Minion, and set in Baltimore, is currently on hold, as Minion has said in her development blog, that she's going to wait until the DF RPG comes out.

On the other hand, my game, City of the Mists, is in active development, albeit the early stages, with us working from Spirit of the Century for FATE 3.0.  Our magic system won't be the same as in the RPG, as we are in development prior to it's release.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 04:05:46 AM by CBeilby »

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 04:21:33 PM »
But how many MMORPG players play for the storylines?

It is true there are not many that play for the story. However WOW has several servers devoted to Role palying and PvP role playing. But they are still in the minority.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline CBeilby

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »
As someone who used to get paid to play WoW (I used to be a Game Master for Blizzard,) I can assure you that the amount of actual RP that takes place on the RP servers is next to nil.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »
Story is wasted on MMORPGs. In order to appeal to a broad enough audience to be "massive" most of the game play gets dumbed down to the point that you don't have to figure too much out. They just tell you who to go kill or rescue or what to steal from the dungeon or whatever and you go do it. Rarely is there any form of riddle involved. And even if there is, a quick google search or a check on the game's forum will give you all the answers you need. Do we really want a dumbed down version of the Dresden Files?

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »
No ,but I would love to see a story-heavy single-player RPG like SW:KoTOR or an adventure game like Still Life based in Harry's Chicagoland.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.