Author Topic: Publisher vs Vanity Press vs e Publish  (Read 2876 times)

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
Publisher vs Vanity Press vs e Publish
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
Would love to hear anybody's comments / experience with any / all of the above publishng routes.

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
Re: Publisher vs Vanity Press vs e Publish
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
Serious writers vs Failed writers vs Poor Failed writers

Should be interesting... discuss.

Actually ePublish is pretty broad, are you indicating that the person posts it themselves on their own website, like a vanity thing - or do you mean someone who submits to an online journal of some type who publishes it online in return.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
Publishing is about making money for publishers and authors.

Vanity publishing is about making money from authors.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
Personally I know equally gifted writers in all three. But yes their may be a greater proportion of less crafted writers in the last two. As for myself, I am shooting for a Publisher. Plan B would be through a "vanity press or print shop, where I simpley hire someone to print and bind my book. Their profit stops there. The authors profit is whatever mark up they want to put on it. Problem is its $5,000 - $10,000 up front out of pocket. I am not personally a big fan of e-publishing but I am just a sucker for hardcopy.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »
Personally I know equally gifted writers in all three. But yes their may be a greater proportion of less crafted writers in the last two. As for myself, I am shooting for a Publisher. Plan B would be through a "vanity press or print shop, where I simpley hire someone to print and bind my book. Their profit stops there. The authors profit is whatever mark up they want to put on it. Problem is its $5,000 - $10,000 up front out of pocket. I am not personally a big fan of e-publishing but I am just a sucker for hardcopy.

If you fancy the notion of paying ten grand to see your work in print, far be it from me to stop you; I'd advise looking back trhough a reliable source of information about vanity publishing scams such as Making Light to check out any notable examples.

I'm still holding out to sell some of my fiction professionally.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »
There are a lot of unethical publishers out there. The media (Paper vs. Pixels) doesn’t make much of a difference.  Start with reading these:
http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/
http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/
http://misssnark.blogspot.com/ (Yes, I know it isn’t being updated any more – read it anyway)

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.
P.N. Elrod is a writer who is known for being very helpful to new authors starting out. She has a lot of that information in the FAQ section of her Website: http://vampwriter.com/FAQ-WRITING.htm
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »
I have extensive E published work, but I won't publish or submit work, unless they pay SFWA rates....

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:04:38 AM »
A vanity press won't even edit your work, much less help you market it or get it put on any bookstore shelves.  Unless you're going to sell the book yourself, I wouldn't go that direction.  Something I was told by a very successful author is "the author should only sign the check on the back."  If you gotta pay for it, it's probably a scam.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »
A vanity press won't even edit your work, much less help you market it or get it put on any bookstore shelves.  Unless you're going to sell the book yourself, I wouldn't go that direction.  Something I was told by a very successful author is "the author should only sign the check on the back."  If you gotta pay for it, it's probably a scam.

Words to live by. I like it!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D