Author Topic: I've never played a table-top, pencil and paper RPG...  (Read 18971 times)

Offline otacon 01

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: I've never played a table-top, pencil and paper RPG...
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
 :D

Offline Funfetus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:08 AM »
I wanted to drop in and post a link here.  Like some people have said, the Dresden Files RPG will be based on the FATE system.  However, it's a substantially retooled version of the system that's a LOT different from the version of FATE that's available now.  What we're hearing is that the system will basically be the same as that used in Evil Hat's Spirit of the Century RPG, but with a new magic system, and modified damage rules.  SotC is a great pulp game, and I'd recommend buying it if you like pulp.  However, if you're only interested in getting a preview of the rules, you can check out the "system reference document" for SotC here:

http://www.crackmonkey.org/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html

(SotC is an "Open Gaming License" product, which means that while setting information and the like is protected, all the system elements may be freely distributed.)

You might also check out the Evil Hat wiki:

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 12:55:43 AM »

1) NEVER under any circumstances offer to be the one to call the pizza place.  You will ALWAYS get shortchanged by someone, even though you counted it out five times.  RPGers spend most of their time crunching numbers for their hobby and they will burn you and not even know they're doing it.

You might be on to something there.

Also, always bring cash.  The last thing you want to do is be the one who only has plastic.  That is a major gamer faux pas.

If possible, bring all the money you plan to spend in two dollar bills, dollar coins and half dollar coins. 
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline The Doctor

• Conversationalist
  • Back off, man. I'm a system administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Antarctica Starts Here
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 03:32:51 AM »
If possible, bring all the money you plan to spend in two dollar bills, dollar coins and half dollar coins.
I will second the two dollar bills schtick.. but only if you are the last one to arrive and not the one who placed the order.  It makes life amusingly difficult for the money-counter.
"Do not injustice to another / Defend the weak and innocent / Let truth and honor always guide you / Let courage find a life within."

--The Cruxshadows, _Sophia_

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 01:28:16 AM »
Okay, I'm looking for a serious answer, please. I've never played table-top, pencil/paper RPG either, but they're having a game day at my college in two weeks, and I was planning to go. I really want to learn how to pencil/paper RPG. Is there anything I should learn beforehand so I don't make an utter fool out of myself? Any terms, unspoken protocols, etc I should get familiar with, etc? Thanks!
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline The Doctor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Antarctica Starts Here
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »
Okay, I'm looking for a serious answer, please. I've never played table-top, pencil/paper RPG either, but they're having a game day at my college in two weeks, and I was planning to go. I really want to learn how to pencil/paper RPG. Is there anything I should learn beforehand so I don't make an utter fool out of myself? Any terms, unspoken protocols, etc I should get familiar with, etc? Thanks!
In short, treat everyone the way you want to be treated.  Etiquette is the same at the gaming table as it is anywhere else.

Do not drink all of $libation or eat all of $munchies.  Save some for the other players.

Bring something to contribute, like soda or munchies.  It always goes over well.

If ordering out, always bring cash in small bills.  It is considered rude when ordering pizza to be the only one with a credit or debit card because it becomes difficult to pay.

Dropping out of character too much disrupts the flow of the action.  Do so when appropriate, but not all of the time.

Do not powergame.  It annoys the players and Dungeon Master/Storyteller/Game master.

Take it seriously.  Pulling a light sabre in a mediaeval-themed game will probably get you thrown out of the game.
"Do not injustice to another / Defend the weak and innocent / Let truth and honor always guide you / Let courage find a life within."

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
Thanks Doc! Quick question, "powergame"?

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 06:53:22 PM »
To powergame is to emphasize the strength of the character, in terms of stats, number of powers, special effects, etc., over all other considerations. To overutilize the crunchy bits in such a way as to unbalance gameplay.
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline The Doctor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Antarctica Starts Here
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 06:56:23 PM »
Constructing characters with the intent to make them as overpowered as possible, thus unbalancing the game.  It makes the game a nightmare to run, and the other characters tend to grow tired of it in short order.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »
Constructing characters with the intent to make them as overpowered as possible, thus unbalancing the game.  It makes the game a nightmare to run, and the other characters tend to grow tired of it in short order.
That's not powergaming, that's munchkining.

Powergaming is, in essence, choosing to make your character good at something.  This is done by everyone to some extent, but can be problematic when taking to extremes.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 10:29:03 PM »

Powergaming is, in essence, choosing to make your character good at something.  This is done by everyone to some extent, but can be problematic when taking to extremes.
I always heard it was powergaming.
IE, I an THorin Oakstaff, I can do 10th level magic and I'm a lvl 10 fighter. Fear the size of my wang!!!
Ie completely  cheesing out the character so it's good at damn near everything.
You do that in my game and a meteor hits you.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »

IE, I an THorin Oakstaff, I can do 10th level magic and I'm a lvl 10 fighter. Fear the size of my wang!!!
Well, obviously your players aren't any good at it.  A true munchkin can, and will, be able to survive the destruction of the universe.  And then create a new one. 

[http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=376014]This[/url] is powergaming.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 12:21:35 AM »

Well, obviously your players aren't any good at it.  A true munchkin can, and will, be able to survive the destruction of the universe.  And then create a new one. 

[http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=376014]This[/url] is powergaming.
ST is god! :)
If I want a meteor to hit you, by god it will hit you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 12:43:54 AM »

This is powergaming.
ST is god! :)
If I want a meteor to hit you, by god it will hit you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

If you read the thread I linked, you'd notice that Pun-Pun is god.  The biggest god. 

For example A meteor hits, no save (if there was a save, Pun-Pun would have made it).  It either
A)Does no damage (as the only creature capable of harming him is himself.
B) Does no damage (as he is immune to all forms of physical harm, as well as heat)
C) Does damage, which is instantly healed by his regeneration
D)Does damage, which doesn't matter, since his health is quite literally infinite
E) Does damage, which doesn't matter, since he has a permanent Delay Death effect
You get the point.  The best way to counter this tactic is by making the person who uses it into the new ST/GM/DM.  Or club them over the head with a book.  Either is good.

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 12:52:20 AM »
Cool. Thanks y'all for the tips. I looked up the events calendar for the game con and it looks like they're playing Mage and World of Darkness LARP. I've already started reading up on them at the World of Darkness site and am getting psyched to play. I just hope I don't screw up, embarrass myself or get myself thrown out of the game. Perhaps I should announce I'm a noobie first before I sit down...