Author Topic: Throwing cars...  (Read 16959 times)

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Throwing cars...
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »
I loved the bit in the novel in which MJ reveals how unnerving (ulcer-making, really) it would be to be married to (or otherwise tightly involved with) a superhero that you really cared for.  She'd seen on the news where the enemy had been throwing cars at Peter.

That's the thing, in the Marvel Universe everybody's seen various superpeople in crazy fights, it's part of everyday life like car crashes or scandals or H1N1.  But when MJ watches the news, she doesn't see 'supervillain throwing cars at Spidey', she sees 'supervillain throwing cars at Peter'.  Quite a different thing, and a deep level of personal helplessness, sort of like being married to a cop or a soldier only worse, and and with live video of the dangerous parts usually at hand.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:13:12 AM by LordDresden »

Offline SteaksandNewBoots

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing cars...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
Makes me think super heros should only date other super heros.  A. They live a similar lifestyle.  B.  It is harder to accidentally hurt them.  C. You don't have to worry about super villains using them against you as much.
Seems a bit selfish to date normal people.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
Makes me think super heros should only date other super heros.  A. They live a similar lifestyle.  B.  It is harder to accidentally hurt them.  C. You don't have to worry about super villains using them against you as much.
Seems a bit selfish to date normal people.

Kind of reminds me of a certain Wizard named Harry. Superhero dating someone with powers would be ideal but I guess it depends on how few supers there are and if the vanilla mortal truly knows what they are getting into.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
The heart wants what the heart wants. 

I can't watch my husband and sons in SCA combat.  (Especially the sons, because I want to grab a broom and shoo the bad people trying to hit my Babies!)
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline dornwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Well look at the plus side the blasted the marriage away so no more worries there. (Yes I'm a little pissed at that)
PSN ID = karasthecrow

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »
Well look at the plus side the blasted the marriage away so no more worries there. (Yes I'm a little pissed at that)

You're not the only one.  Quesada made a lot of enemies with that, both for doing it and for how it was done.  It's turned up over on tvtropes.org repeatedly.

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:27:50 AM »

I can't watch my husband and sons in SCA combat.  (Especially the sons, because I want to grab a broom and shoo the bad people trying to hit my Babies!)

A coworker of mine was relieved that her daughter (now about 18) didn't want to be a cheerleader.  She (the daughter) is short and slender so she'd be the one the other girls tossed in the air and caught.  The mother said she was sure it would give her an ulcer to watch them throw her daughter up in the air the way they do the smallest girls.

(In actual fact, cheerleading has one of the highest injury rates of any athletic activity among teens, IIANM it's higher than tackle football.)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »

But you do have to worry about all the extra danger they run in their own title.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
A coworker of mine was relieved that her daughter (now about 18) didn't want to be a cheerleader.  She (the daughter) is short and slender so she'd be the one the other girls tossed in the air and caught.  The mother said she was sure it would give her an ulcer to watch them throw her daughter up in the air the way they do the smallest girls.

(In actual fact, cheerleading has one of the highest injury rates of any athletic activity among teens, IIANM it's higher than tackle football.)

SCA combat is VERY VERY safe.  No one has ever sustained a serious injury doing SCA combat (caused by the combat, at least -- some people get heat stroke, but not for lack of Chirurgeons and Water Carriers shouting at them to stop before they overheat.)
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
SCA combat is VERY VERY safe.  No one has ever sustained a serious injury doing SCA combat (caused by the combat, at least -- some people get heat stroke, but not for lack of Chirurgeons and Water Carriers shouting at them to stop before they overheat.)
While it is true that no one has suffered life-threatening injury in SCA combat, I know several people how have broken arms or ankles in Heavy combat. Duke Gaston broke his arm when a shot hit his vambrace, and I know of another gentle who broke a leg falling off a ramp storming the castle at Gulf War.

I hate to worry a mother more, but there IS risk of injury in heavy combat, which is why you have to have a signed waiver on record before you can be authorized.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
There's risk of serious injury and death just stepping out of your house. Then again, there's that risk INSIDE the house.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »
Life=Pain

I have been in the SCA for over 35 years, and in that time the number and quality of combat caused injures have not equaled one year of high school football injuries sustained on my brothers teams over all four years of high school.  Which is what I use for a yard stick.

Like any other sport there will be yahoos who don't warm up and who act without thinking.  People who get injured that way are not being injured by the sport they are being injured by stupidity. 

People who drive without wearing a seat belt, while texting...   they are also causing injury to themselves and others through stupidity, and the vehicle is just there (unfortunately.)

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »
Your yardstick is a valid one, but combat is well, combat. Accidents can happen. The Duke in question broke his arm while using a new titanium vambrace, since it happened he went back to steel. And the gulf war injuries were possible when anyone is in a press of people with uneven footing. In either situation though, the people involved were not yahoos engaging in combat in an irresponsible manner. They were both authorized fighters using armor that conformed to kingdom and society standards.

It's much less dangerous than other sports, but we are hitting each other with sticks in a forceful manner. I love it, but there is a certain level of danger inherent in the activity.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
And no one is even throwing cars at them!

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
And no one is even throwing cars at them!
Not literally, but my behind feels like I've been hit by a car after I get spanked by a wrap shot.  :D