Author Topic: Burn out?  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Burn out?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
For what it's worth, Salvatore would disagree with me. He claims he doesn't really read anymore, as it tends to affect his style. Whoa.
At this point, he can kinda say that.  He's been writing and publishing for something like 20 years.  If I'm not confusing him with a different author.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
At this point, he can kinda say that.  He's been writing and publishing for something like 20 years.  If I'm not confusing him with a different author.

No, that's him. But I think his issue is also that other writers might point and say "Ooooo! That's my style! He's ripping me off!"

So, as you put it, not having 20 years of successful publishing under my belt, I keep readin'. :)

In particular, if you're a fantasty writer, I can't recommend Paul S Kemp's Erevis Cale Trilogy enough. Reading his stuff gave my characters their literary balls back.
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 01:07:23 AM »
When I get stuck, I go to the bookstore and just look at titles....often words, phrases or pictures will spark me off, and I get inspired again...can make it a little tricky when I get a NEW idea I just wanna explore, but it really helps to recharge the batteries.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
So far when I'm feeling blocked or burnt out I tell myself to first and foremost stay positive.  Don't go getting all bummed out and thinking you're not talented or anything.  We aren't writing machines...well I'm not...and I'm will to be there are very few writers out there that aren't affected by irritating coworkers, etc.

For inspiration I ask myself if I still like the story I'm writing and the answer is almost always yes, but when it's no then I go back and find the spot that changed it for me.

But honestly I think feeling burnt out is your imagination's way of telling you it's still brewing but nothing is ready at the moment.  You've used all of the ideas its come up with so far, but there will be more.  Just relax and wait for something to float to the surface.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 10:29:49 PM »
Yup.  Most people can't be creative when they have to force it.  I can draw and paint quite well, pieces that are photorealistic in style, morbid, creepifying and bleak for reasons nobody can really point out.  But I can't draw a stick figure if I don't have "inspiration."  I can't just sit down and say "I'm going to paint a '5'." and have anything happen.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:50 AM »
Whoah whoah whoah whoah!
Hold up!
Never send me a 1st. i haven't even gotten past that before my world went concave. thats ridiculous. i write in first. i hope editors don't really mind 1st...I'll continue reading what you wrote.

Actually, I should have been more explicit.  This particular editor, that others learn from and respect is a 'literary' editor.  She never wanted to see 1st as it bespoke the 'lower classes' of commercial writers.  She also would never want a romance or a sci fi to sully her desk.  Since I'm not interested in ending up on her desk, and if I did, I would hope that my manuscript who fart loud and smelly all over it.  :-)   

Yup.  Most people can't be creative when they have to force it.  I can draw and paint quite well, pieces that are photorealistic in style, morbid, creepifying and bleak for reasons nobody can really point out.  But I can't draw a stick figure if I don't have "inspiration."  I can't just sit down and say "I'm going to paint a '5'." and have anything happen.

But if you really needed to get something done, I would imagine that you would doodle and fiddle until inspiration opened up again, right?  That's what writing exercises are for.  They can open your creativity that got jammed somewhere in the process.  One easy exercise that a workshop instructor used was to take a letter and five minutes.  Write as many words that start with that letter as you can in those five minutes--if you're still writing extend your time line.  The sheer act of concentrating on words in any form, frees the writing cells in the brain.  It seems to work.  It has the added feature that instead of writing four or five paragraphs to get where I'm flowing right, I can start right away and have less editing. 

Hugsies paynesgray.  to each their own, has always been a great saying to me. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:01 AM »
Nope, just doesn't work for me unless there's a picture that wants out of my head.  Which is why I couldn't be a professional artist or illustrator... that pesky deadline thing.  My creative process is, unfortunately, rather like the monkeys from Kipling's Jungle Book.  Gathering sticks and rocks intending to do great things with them, then forgetting what those things were.  Still, while I couldnt' make a living at it, I can still have fun.