Author Topic: anyone tried....? ideas and other systems to adapt to the Dresdenverse.  (Read 10161 times)

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: anyone tried....? ideas and other systems to adapt to the Dresdenverse.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
And as for alternate systems, if you don't mind highly abstracted magic you could do a fun White Council Wardens game using Dogs in the Vineyard...
- Clark Valentine

Offline The GIT!

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 01:45:10 AM »
Hi

I'm new to the forums and just found this thread. I found the discussion about FATE very interesting but I personally think the system works well. It's fair to say that a lot depends on the GM but, to be fair, that's the same in just about every RPG ever made. Any game, no matter what the rule system, is totally dependent on the relationship between the players and the GM.

As for other game systems I'd have to recommend Savage Worlds. It's a great system and very well supported by the game designers. The forums are very active and friendly (just like here).

That said, I really think the FATE system will do justice to the Dresdenverse - I can't wait for the game to be finished.
Anything easy is more trouble than it's worth!

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »
Re other systems for a DV game: I've been thinking about the possibility of using D20. A month or so ago I posted some stuff on the d20 thread. I really do think it could work quite simply...

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »
Re other systems for a DV game: I've been thinking about the possibility of using D20. A month or so ago I posted some stuff on the d20 thread. I really do think it could work quite simply...
With the way a lot of the spells are free form, and you can do things that would be considered breaking the rules - ie - creating a column of fire to freeze the lake undernieth it - it would be difficult to do with the usual d20 suspects.  ;)
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »
And as for alternate systems, if you don't mind highly abstracted magic you could do a fun White Council Wardens game using Dogs in the Vineyard...

It'd be a pretty focused game, but I think it could be really interesting.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »
And remember that Monte Cook's World of Darkness rules are based on d20 and have a lot of good Dresden-like elements. There is a freeform magic system and rules for demons and vampires. A pretty good game, if you like d20.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline michaellone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
I am currently working on a World of Darkness LARP conversion for my local group.  I am starting with the Minds Eye Theater Core Rule book and working on creating my own magic system loosely base on the old Mage: The Ascension.  Still have a few things to iron out but the card draw system should make the game flow well.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
I've been running a fast and dirty d20 Modern version. I just scrapped their magic system entirely and boiled it down to a couple of base components.

There are spells, there are circles, there are focii and implements, there are shields. Everything has five levels or so that just climbs in output, area, target numbers, buff or whatever number, or what have you. You make a concentration check to see if you can. You make an appropriate attack or skill roll if you need to. You tell the GM EXACTLY (and that's a necessary stress) what you wanna do. The GM says you can or you can't (and that's another necessary mention since it's REAL fast and dirty). A quick discussion isn't bad, in fact since it's just you GM playing by the skin of their teeth, is sometimes necessary, but keep it quick so you don't spend all night on it.

Bear in mind, this is JUST to tide us over until the game comes out. We all know I'm not a game designer, and they're just happy to have a Dresden game of any kind. The rest of the stuff is covered quite well by the d20 system.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:31 AM »
is there a game system/magic system that takes into account at least some of the laws of physics - like when Dresden froze the lake by creating a pillar of fire?
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
is there a game system/magic system that takes into account at least some of the laws of physics - like when Dresden froze the lake by creating a pillar of fire?

I don't know about the laws of physics, but I can tell you something the upcoming system does take into account... the ability of the players to creatively rationalize the use of their powers. You can argue the physics of what Harry did with that stunt until you're blue and end up with good arguments on either side - the more important thing in that moment, to me, is that he thought outside the box and came up with a unique way to apply his powers. In other words, he showed you how awesome he was. In a gaming setting, those kinds of things would be subject to the consensus of the group rather than a hard mechanical limitation - after all, you're the audience, so your suspension of disbelief will be the judge.

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »

This is just me, but I do not want to be doing thermodynamics computations at the gaming table. ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:32:13 PM by ClarkValentine »
- Clark Valentine

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
This is just me, but I do not want to be doing thermodynamics computations at the gaming table. ;)

What, you don't want to argue that it's unrealistic that the enthalpy of river water would be the same as that listed for water in your reference book? Weird.

(;

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 02:42:32 AM »
What, you don't want to argue that it's unrealistic that the enthalpy of river water would be the same as that listed for water in your reference book? Weird.

(;
lol, you are a rules lawyer at heart  ;D
-John Lennon-

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
lol, you are a rules lawyer at heart  ;D

Guilty. (:

Offline pax

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 04:34:04 AM »
I used Hero System for a Dresdenverse RPG at Gen Con last year, and it worked fairly well.  Of course, i've played Hero System for many years and find it to be flexible enough for just about any setting.  I plan to run again this year, hope that I can get the new system with enough lead time to learn it and convert everything.  Of course, I run a very "rules light" style anyway, so I may not be the best example.