Author Topic: SMF misconfiguration / or mail server misconfiguration  (Read 1443 times)

Offline nixil

• Lurker
    • View Profile
SMF misconfiguration / or mail server misconfiguration
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »
umm though I'd forgotten my password and thus, I clicked the link to reset my password.  Checked my mail logs and found this error:

Sep 16 20:41:53 nixil sm-mta[28628]: n8H2fpr1028628: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<my@address>, relay=[67.213.214.188], reject=553 5.1.8 <my@address>... Domain of sender address nobody@vps.jimbutcheronline
.com does not exist

Luckily after trying a couple of my standard web passwords, I found the one I used.. (ie why I can post this message)
But it does seem that someone didn't configure something right with the SMF software or possibly the mail server.

If the value in Settings.php looks like ->   $webmaster_email = 'nobody@vps.jimbutcheronline.com';
Then this needs to be changed to likely just -> $webmaster_email = 'nobody@jimbutcheronline.com';
but it all depends on the mail server setup.

oh and yes my mail server is very picky but this is just a flat out misconfiguration on this end.

-Phil.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: SMF misconfiguration / or mail server misconfiguration
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »
Could be related to the fact that everything migrated to another server the other day, there were all sorts of minor glitches related to things not being found where they were supposed to be during the process.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH