Author Topic: Permission to use the Dresdenverse in a short story I'm writing...  (Read 5238 times)

comprex

Re: Permission to use the Dresdenverse in a short story I'm writing...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
I wonder what a mind like Ben Franklin would do today...

Speak bad french and lust after french chix whilst living in someone else's castle?

Oh, wait, today...

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Speak bad french and lust after french chix whilst living in someone else's castle?

And found a propaganda rag that became the Montreal English-language daily to this day ?

[ 250 years since the Plains of Abraham this past weekend.  Why does nobody do Plains of Anraham as a divergence point for alternate history ? ]
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
And found a propaganda rag that became the Montreal English-language daily to this day ?

[ 250 years since the Plains of Abraham this past weekend.  Why does nobody do Plains of Anraham as a divergence point for alternate history ? ]

I thought it was Franklin's assistant who founded the Gazette. And I have a friend who toyed with precisely that event but never buckled down to write it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
I thought it was Franklin's assistant who founded the Gazette.

It may have been, but it's certainly part of my city's mythic identity to attribute it to Franklin.  (In the same way as the Marquis de Sade starting the French Revolution by sticking his head out the window of his cell in the Bastille and shouting "help, they're killing everyone in here" because he thought it was amusing, if it's not true it should be.)

And I have a friend who toyed with precisely that event but never buckled down to write it.

It's a long way from being a period I know well enough to write, but it seems to me that a French victory there and a solid New France leads pretty directly to no Proclamation of 1763, no Quebec Act of 1774, quite possibly a shorter Seven Years' War so less of the economic tightness that leads to the tax issues that are the proximate cause of the American Revolution, and a strong New France maybe making the idea of breaking free from the British Empire seem less appealing anyway; so if the history of the rest of the Empire goes more or less as it does in our timeline, the next interesting flashpoint is the Empire-wide ban on slavery on the 1830s as a possible point for the slaveholding territories to revolt. And likely not get very far with it if the rest of British North America gets the full weight of Empire behind it. (This all presuming nothing drastically weird happens during the Napoleonic Wars, but well, the War of 1812 ? Kind of a sideshow in world terms.)

You know, on reflection, I may have tighter standards for "not a period I know well" than many people.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
The good thing about alternate-history fiction is that all you have to do is research and build from there.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
Oh, hey, neuro - need your input over here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,13881.0.html

comprex

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »
The good thing about alternate-history fiction is that all you have to do is research and build from there.

Hmm, the War of Jenkins' ear...

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »
The nice thing about alternate history fiction is that all the historical figures are in the public domain, so the author doesn't need to obtain permissions.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »
The nice thing about alternate history fiction is that all the historical figures are in the public domain, so the author doesn't need to obtain permissions.

provided you stay far enough back not to be writing about alternate versions of currently living people.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 04:58:02 AM »
Is there a certain amount of time that must pass before a deceased person becomes "public domain" and it's permissable to write about them in fiction?
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
Is there a certain amount of time that must pass before a deceased person becomes "public domain" and it's permissable to write about them in fiction?
Not that I've ever seen. Harry Turtledove's alternate histories run through World War II, so I'd guess 50 years would be a good rule of thumb.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
Not that I've ever seen. Harry Turtledove's alternate histories run through World War II, so I'd guess 50 years would be a good rule of thumb.

Hmmm...in my current WIP there's one scene where the characters summon the ghost of a deceased rock star to play a few numbers. I know in most books there's a disclaimer about any resemblence to anybody living or dead being strictly coincidental. So I'm wondering if that'll fly.

Oh well. That's assuming the manuscript ever gets published. So I'll roll with it for now and burn that bridge when (if) I come to it.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline lawdawg7051

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
id love to see an alternate history where the industial revolution happened in rome 2000 years ago. it almost did, a steam piston was invented but was looked at as a toy so noone saw the possibilities

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
id love to see an alternate history where the industial revolution happened in rome 2000 years ago. it almost did, a steam piston was invented but was looked at as a toy so noone saw the possibilities

Lest Darkness Fall, L. Sprague de Camp, 1939.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Hmmm...in my current WIP there's one scene where the characters summon the ghost of a deceased rock star to play a few numbers. I know in most books there's a disclaimer about any resemblence to anybody living or dead being strictly coincidental. So I'm wondering if that'll fly.
I sold a short story once featuring Elvis Presley, but it was printed in The International Journal of Elvisology and the Elvisian Era, put out by the local college and The First Coast Writer's Festival, so that probably doesn't count, since ALL of the stories featured Elvis.  :)