Linked Events

• Jim at Phauxcon (PA): October 05, 2007 - October 07, 2007

Author Topic: Jim to appear at Phauxcon 2007, October 5-7 (Philadelphia)  (Read 35437 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim to appear at Phauxcon 2007, October 5-7 (Philadelphia)
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
I know exactly where it's been.  Which is why I stay away!  Crazy Pennsylvanians.

I've seen it before. Not sure where it's been, but I AM sure where it isn't GOING to be. To Pennsylvanians: Yinz guys is CRAZY an' 'at.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
More pictures should be coming soon from Rob and Xio, but here's what we have so far from Denny.  The rest of her images are here and include shots of the other costumers, including Xionin's awesome vamp outfit and an actual, non-blurry shot of the Carpenter couple.  Click the images to enlarge!

And Mickey, they're not freckles.  They're sequins--some clear, some teal--making me look all glittery.  It looked very cool in reality, but didn't photograph well.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »
Shecky, I was in NC for five years while X got his PhD (before the Research Triangle became the Northern Hub of NC)...  So I was one of THOSE damn Yankees!

However I've got a southern hillbilly accent in my repretaire as my "rearing" dialect was southern IA. Really, really easy to slip into "slow sweet speak" if I'm communicating with a southerner.I usually don't notice it which can get embarrasing.

Love all your exciting comments and the photos all, thank you for sharing!!!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
"And Mickey, they're not freckles.  They're sequins--some clear, some teal--making me look all glittery."

Yeah, once I saw the whole face (now with Forehead!), I started to get the picture ;)

Remind me to never get you pissed at me...at least not anywhere where I can SEE you look down on me.

PS: Love the captions on the original page. "Thoughtful." "Girl with Green Hair" "Dangerous" "Couple." ;) Althought "Thoughtful" made me think Lee Martindale was in attendance, for a moment.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:23:47 PM by Mickey Finn »
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline xionin

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • PhauxCon
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »
hallo every-bodee!

i've uploaded some pics from last weekend. thank you to everyone that made it out.
hope to see you again next year!

~sierra

http://pics.phauxcon.com

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
hallo every-bodee!

i've uploaded some pics from last weekend. thank you to everyone that made it out.
hope to see you again next year!

~sierra

http://pics.phauxcon.com

Nice pix. Thanks.

I have to hand it to all of you that dressed up in such a creative fashion. Cool and hilarious all at the same time.  (OK, I admit it...I was looking through the pix and occassionally thinking that Jim needs to pitch a network on "The Surreal Life: Butcher-verse" asap  ;D).

Kudos to All. Looks like fun although I must acknowledge the fact that had I been able to make it to this event I can't imagine having the nerve to "Dresden up" like some of you did.  :o 

I tend to feel like a mega-huge dork often enough already. Were I in costume on a non-Halloween occasion I am certain that the cool-ness police would arrest me and throw me into the stocks. Now that would be embarrasing.  :-[ Try explaining that to the wife. "I know I am dressed like Lt. Jim Dangle and I know that this may seem odd to you, honey, since this is a Dresden event and all. But it's not as bad as it looks. Really!"  ;)

Glad it was a good time for all.

-Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2007, 05:51:23 PM »
xionin -- thanks for the pics, they were great.  Job well done out in Phillie it sounds like. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline xionin

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • PhauxCon
Re: PhauxCon - Interview with Jim
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2007, 02:51:24 AM »
Paper: Bucks County Courier Times (Levittown, PA)
Title: By LAURIE MASON
Date: September 27, 2007
Section: LIFE LOCAL
Page: E1

COURIER TIMES

Jim Butcher is the New York Times best-selling author of "The Dresden Files," a fantasy-horror-mystery series about a wizard named Harry (No, not that Harry,) that was the basis for the popular, though short-lived SciFi channel TV show. The Courier Times caught up with Butcher last week as he prepared for his upcoming appearance at Phauxcon in Philadelphia.

CT: I know that the SciFi channel has said that "The Dresden Files" isn't coming back, but the Internet is full of rumors that it is. What's the latest?

JB: I am exactly the worst person in the world to ask.

I mean, I'm just the writer. No one tells me anything. I think I've spent all of five minutes talking to anyone at Lion's Gate in the entire process of the show, start to finish. I've talked a little more to folks at SciFi, but only because of the face-to-face meetings at the New York ComicCon.

There are rumors that the show is coming back? Man, I haven't heard that one. See what I mean? I'm just the writer. Not even the fans tell me anything! That said, though, the sets have been struck, the crews let go, the actors' contract options expired. I think it's safe to call it a done deal, at this point.

CT: I'm sure that the television show brought new attention to your "Dresden Files" books. Since there are significant differences between the books and the television show, have fans of the books been able to adjust?

JB: With varying degrees of success (smiles). There has been lively controversy on the subject, with viewpoints ranging from "the show is SO much better" to "someone really ought to burn down the sets and hire ninjas to kill the producers." In general, most of the fans took the changes made to the story world with a grain of salt, and seemed to have a good time watching the show. Some didn't, and that's fine.

The two were never meant to be taken as identical twins, and it would be unfair in the extreme to expect everyone who liked the books to like the show, or vice versa.

CT: Harry Dresden is a chronic wisecracker. How much of that is your personality coming through on the page?

JB: Zero. Zip. None. Nada. In person, I am staid.

Stolid. Square. Upright. Boring, even. I look like that guy with the pitchfork in that "American Gothic" painting, only less cheerful, and I only laugh twice a week: once when I'm reading the Sunday funnies, and once during a sitcom. Oh, and sometimes on official holidays, I'll indulge. I try to avoid overt laughter, though, or too much smiling, which could lead to laughter. I don't want to expose my teeth to UV.

CT: You're writing at a time when, thanks to the Web, authors are able to interact with their fans like never before. Is that a good or bad thing?

JB: It is a good and a bad thing. Good because I get to hear what the fans have to say, respond to them, swap jokes and stories, answer questions, and in general treat my readers as if they were, you know, real people. That's a majorly good thing! Bad because it also means that I have historically unparalleled access to all the negative feedback, too, and thanks to the magic of the Internet, people feel far more comfortable with being, frankly, acidic, snotty, vile-spewing jerks, safe behind their anonymous Yahoo account. That kind of thing can really suck. I'm still building up my immune system against that sort of response, but I've got this condition where I care, and it makes it an ongoing problem.

CT: Authors are always asked to give some good advice to new writers just starting out. Instead, tell me about some really bad advice you got when you first began writing.

JB: I would, but if I told you all the bad advice I got, it would take me four years and you'd have a bachelor's degree in English lit, just like me.

CT: I've read that you're a video game addict. How does a busy writer find time to play with toys?

JB: Easy. You just skip sleep (smiles).

CT: Tell me a little about your "Codex Alera" series.

JB: It's sort of a negative mirror image of the "Dresden Files." Instead of being set in our world, it's in a totally different fantasy universe. Magic is everywhere, and in fact it has more or less replaced technology. The protagonist of the story, a young man named Tavi, is in fact the only person in his society who has absolutely no skill with their form of magic, which is known as furycrafting, and uses a bond with various elemental spirits of the land to accomplish various cool supernatural feats. Tavi's had to survive in a really rough part of the world purely on his wits, speed, and toughness, and as a result he's become ideally suited, in many ways, to deal with a lot of the problems which are about to beset the realm of Alera, the land he lives in. There are legions and spies and treachery and barbarians and monsters and slavers and duels and plots and treason and giant bugs and zombies and horses and swords and fortresses and battles and werewolves and everything.

Alera is an enormously entertaining place for me to go, after I've spent several months in Harry's Chicago.

CT: Any other Jim Butcher projects that new fans should check out?

JB: I've done a Spider-Man novel for Marvel! It's titled "The Darkest Hours," and is available from Pocket Books. There are also Dresden short stories in two anthologies: "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding," and "Many Bloody Returns," with a third Dresden story coming up in the anthology entitled, "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon."

CT: What can fans who come out to Phauxcon next week to hear you speak expect?

JB: Pop culture references, most likely. And for me to put my foot in my mouth at least once. If I get desperate, I can drag out the story about the witch doctor and the poisonous spider, or maybe the one about how my Bichon Frise saved my kid from a bear.

Those are both good ones - though they aren't even fiction, so it always feels a little like I'm cheating. I will likely do a reading from one of my upcoming books, either "Captain's Fury" or "Small Favor"- not sure which yet, we'll have to see.

Copyright 2007 Bucks County Courier Times

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »
Witch doctor and poisonous spider? I feel cheated. Dammit, Jim!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
Witch doctor and poisonous spider? I feel cheated. Dammit, Jim!

Me too!  I've heard the story about Frost vs. the bear, which would put Lassie to shame, but this is my first time hearing mention of witch doctors and spiders...

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: PhauxCon - Interview with Jim
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
COURIER TIMES

CT: Harry Dresden is a chronic wisecracker. How much of that is your personality coming through on the page?

JB: Zero. Zip. None. Nada. In person, I am staid.

Stolid. Square. Upright. Boring, even. I look like that guy with the pitchfork in that "American Gothic" painting, only less cheerful, and I only laugh twice a week: once when I'm reading the Sunday funnies, and once during a sitcom. Oh, and sometimes on official holidays, I'll indulge. I try to avoid overt laughter, though, or too much smiling, which could lead to laughter. I don't want to expose my teeth to UV.

Jim-tastic.

Xi - I hope to enjoy the Con next year. It was clearly a cool event.
After reading a bit about the upcoming Dresden RPG that Fred is working on...well who knows...maybe I'll even get the chance to roll the hit die for the first time in 20 years as well  :). Looking forward to it.

-Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline Purpura

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2007, 05:35:39 AM »
Mmmm, biscuits and sausage gravy...  Never did care for grits, though.

And yes, Terrijo, I saw the jewelry when you posted it in my blog comments!  It's so cool!

Nice Jewelry... I like biscuits with butter and jelly... But I MISS GRITS! I'm out in SoCal... Virginia born and raised....
(click to show/hide)

Offline Polkawillneverdie

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »
Frell frell frell!
I`m a native Philadelphian and didn`t know about this.  Will definitely be on the watch for it next year.  Sounds like a blast.  Thanks for the reports and pics.   :)

Xionin, thanks for posting the quotes from the Bucks Courier Times.  I`m just over the border here, get the Philly Inquirer, so would never have seen that.  Very enjoyable read.

Nice outfit, Priscellie!

While I feel a need to defend my home and its culinary greatness, I have to agree that scrapple is indefensible.  It has been said that whatever is deemed too nasty to put into a hot dog is reserved for the scrapple.  However we more than make up for its vileness with our soft pretzels and CHEESESTEAKS.  And Tastykakes.  ;D