Linked Events

• Jim at Phauxcon (PA): October 05, 2007 - October 07, 2007

Author Topic: Jim to appear at Phauxcon 2007, October 5-7 (Philadelphia)  (Read 36904 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Jim to appear at Phauxcon 2007, October 5-7 (Philadelphia)
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »
Of course, Meg!  Rest assured, I wouldn't dare impose on them. :D

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Free Tix to one day at the Con see here ...

http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php?board=4.0

-Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 03:14:24 PM »
Well, I'm back from Phauxcon. Despite my plans, I naturally left my digital camera at home. We got a disposable camera and I was almost too embarrassed to use it. ;D But Rob (thanks, Rob!) was kind enough to agree to get e-copies of his REAL-camera shots to me.

Jim was (to use his phrase) awesome. Despite publicity and the like, you never expect a NY Times bestselling author to be down-to-earth, but Jim IS. And Shannon? Ditto. Two very nice people. :) Not to mention Our Fearless Leader, Xionin - *salute* - FANTASTIC job organizing and being just plain cool. Sue and I thank EVERYONE who was there; we had a blast and wish we could've stayed longer and been more coherent (starting out on about 3 hours' sleep is not conducive to being as witty and personable as one would wish, but at least it DOES give OTHERS something to point and laugh at ;D ).

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute - it's always a good time when fen are involved. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
I'm back as well!  Did you go by a different name, Shecky?  I'd hoped to say hi, but I didn't recognize you. 

I had such an amazing time, and I'm already teasing out ideas for a panel next year.  I was lucky enough to meet Jim at NY Comic Con last year and found him to be all the things you'd hope a favourite author would be in real life: affable and funny and down-to-earth.  But getting to hang out with him and Shannon in such a relaxed atmosphere was an entirely different dynamic!  The Butchers are such great people, and they're even more fun when they're not exhausted and stressed out by the grind of a huge convention or a signing tour! 

Friday night, we watched the unaired, 67-minute Dresden pilot, and Jim merrily heckled the entire thing.  It was HILARIOUS.  Heckling bad Sci-Fi channel movies is a tradition in the Butcher household, and the incomplete special effects and temporary voice overs in the pilot made for a lot of easy jokes.  One of Jim's running comments was to repeat the text of the cards on the temporary effects in an excited tone with "Trust Us!" added, like "Bianca's face is burned!  Trust us!"  He also shared a bunch of cool behind-the-scenes facts about the series, such as "This is where the stunt guy broke both his legs."  Poor stunt guy.

Saturday, Jim and Shannon each did a Q&A session, and as many of the attendees are writers, they were able to share their experience dealing with the writing process with us.  Shannon wore my Maeve tiara during hers, as she is Queen of Estonia.  Jim also talked about his experience with the various Dresden media spinoffs--the TV show, the comic, and a few potential projects on the horizon. Coooooool! 

At the three dining events, they joined us in geeking out over various nerdy pursuits and regaled us with stories about their son, J.J., who is quite clearly the coolest kid in the history of the universe (and is also goin' to Utah!).  At the signing, Xionin gave Jim a set of the Serenity Alliance Currency Money Pack that hadn't sold in the silent auction, and he joked about "Gettin' paid in cashy money," quoting Mal, then amended this statement to "Gettin' paid in cash and coke," referring to the seemingly bottomless supply of Coca-Cola Xionin provided for him.  I took home the other money pack and the Tenth Doctor and K9 action figure set.  Now Ten and Illyria and the cast of Mirrormask can have wacky escapades on my desk at work!

The Shindig was all kinds of fun.  I came as Maeve, and I was delighted at how well it turned out!  I got all kinds of praise from both Jim and the other con-goers.  Most of the group didn't dress up, but we did get a wonderful Michael, a Charity, a hybrid book/TV Harry, a vampire, a 70's dude, and a pair of ladies in Ren Fest attire.  Jim joked that was dressed as Dr. Chao, the cameo character he played on the TV show.  He showed us concept art from the upcoming comic (including some images I hadn't seen yet!) and read from one of the Dresden books, doing so in the most energetic, geeky, delighted voice imaginable.  He was having SO MUCH FUN as he read to us, and we laughed and cheered and winced right along with him.  It was like reading it again for the first time!  Crazy fun.   A splendid time was had by all!

I have no hat, so I will say that my wig is off to Xionin for putting together an absolutely extraordinary con experience.  I'm in awe of all the work she does for PhauxCon, and I'm so grateful.  I had such a blast!  Love to all the returning members, and I hope I can hang out with some of you again before PhauxCon 6!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:29:27 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 11:11:13 PM »
Nonono, I was there and partially under my name. My tag read "Richard (Shecky)" - I was the overgrown Gimli behind you the first evening, the talkative one with the talkative wife. And I still say that your Maeve costume ROCKED and rocked hard.

Folks, I can't tell you the last time I had such fun with such great-without-exception people. Everyone was everything that's good about cons. Fen FTW!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline sue-sue

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »
Hey there - Shecky's wife here - I will echo his statement that we had a wonderful time this weekend. 

Oh - I have our Tivo set to find Firefly episodes.  Look forward to talking to you about it next year.

and - - - GREAT MAEVE costume.  You rock!

Sue

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
A splendid time was had by all!

Sounds cool. So where is your new "Maeve" avatar Priscilla ? ;)

-Steve

PS - If anyone gets some video on the web that would be very cool for those of us that planned to attend - and yet could not attend  :'(   Thx!
- Bob the Skull

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »
I actually took very few pictures with my camera, as it's been acting up.  I'm mostly relying on Xio and Rob, who were snapping pictures left and right!  Hopefully they'll post the pictures and the video of Jim's Q&A sometime this week, after they recover from the con and perhaps take a three-day nap. 

In the meantime, here are a few shots from the shindig I got with my lame camera:
Me and Jim
Me, Jim, and Rob
A really blurry picture of our Carpenter couple
And here's the wig alone, as I am so freaking proud of how it turned out!

Note that Jim and Rob are not short, I'm just wearing six inch platforms!  I'm 5'9" in real life. :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Er, here I was assuming that the woman was supposed to be Murphy, with the inevitable fanfic 'shipping to follow. ;D

We're relying on Xio and Rob, too - had our purty little digital all ready to go, and then forgot to pack it. Too embarrassed to use the throwaway camera.  :-[

And yeah, that was a bodacious wig.

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »
the wig alone ... as I am so freaking proud of how it turned out!
Hail to the Queen (queen of summer that is) !!  :)

-Steve
- Bob the Skull

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
Winter, you mean! :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
Not with the weather we had this weekend. ;)

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
- Bob the Skull

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »
I think that if Jim could be talked into doing Phauxcon again next year, we REALLY need to have the dinner at a good pizza joint. Talk 'em into hanging "Pizza 'Spress" over their name. Then make Jim wear a "Pizza Lord" t-shirt.

Y'know, Priscellie, I finally figured out why we were having summer weather there in October: your Maeve-ity ganked all the cool from the air. On account of the costume being so cool. Or... what the hell, I'm really stretching a point here, so gimme a break LOL!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
:D

*gives Shecky a biscuit*