Author Topic: Your Episode Ideas Here  (Read 62238 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Your Episode Ideas Here
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »
I've been curious if Jim wrote plot for whichever LARP he was (is?) involved in, and if so, his views on how it affected his writing.

Far as I know, Jim never "wrote for" the LARP he played in.  He showed up with his boffer weapons and beat some ass. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Fin Aeros

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006, 06:22:28 AM »
In the vein of stuff Butcher fans would like, I'd like a show about novels and authors who tell similar urban fantasy stories.  NOT Laurel Hamilton as, though the first 3 or 4 books in the Anita Blake series are true Urban Fantasy, the latter books in the series have turned into supernatural romance bordering on flat-out erotica.  Stuff like Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, the Nightside series (I forget the author's name or the titles of any of the books, but Jim Butcher actually has a quote on the book recommending it, which is what made me pick it up), and things like that.  That way those of us who devour books at a rate of 2-5 a week can have something to hold us over until White Knight comes out in a few months.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Taking a jump here....

With Authors that fans of Jim might like, I think Kim Harrison would be a good addition to any lineup.

I'm also interested in sources of Jim's inspiration, offbeat stories of his, and Fan Fests for Nerd/Geek points.   >,>.

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »
I think a discussion between Charlaine Harris and Jim about the process of developing a tv show from their books might be interesting. Both would have insights to share.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline Lady Geektastic

• Conversationalist
  • Me. In make-up and sepia.
    • View Profile
    • Random Acts of Cod
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 07:40:30 PM »
Interview ideas....which I'm sure have already occured to you, but just putting them down:

Robert (Wolfe).
Jim's agent, maybe?
Simkin.
Various cast members, if you can get them...especially, of course, Blackthorne and Mann.
James Marsters and the girls at Buzzy, if you can swing it.

Yeah, I'd love to make those happen.  I think the podcast may need a little momentum first, a few episodes under its belt.

Also: I'd actually love to get *you* on the line at some point (maybe other forum members over time) to make for some fun "fan chats" about whatever's on our minds.  Maybe we can work something out, there.

Sign me up! Heehee!
Some people are like slinkies. They're basically useless, yet you still can't help but smile as you shove them down the stairs.

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
I think a discussion between Charlaine Harris and Jim about the process of developing a tv show from their books might be interesting. Both would have insights to share.
Sounds like Tanya Huff might have a thing or two to contribute.
;D ;D ;D
Now to find out how to see the show in the UK... ;)
Phil

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »
Well. I'd definately like to see an interview with C.E. Murphy. Someone once called Anita Blake the female version of Dresden. Although I personally think Joanne is much better suited for that title. :P

That and interviews with the actors and stuff.

What can I say!? I want it all!

~She-Wolf

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:24 AM »
Sorry for the doublepost. But I had another idea.

What about episodes, or portions of episodes that dwelve into a specific character's personality/history/various things that might be of interest. I mean Jim's told us about Dresden time and time again, but what about the supporting characters? Murphy, Thomas, Michael, etc.

~She-Wolf

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 03:43:56 AM »
Would it be possible to have written transcripts?  I understand it's a lot of work, but having a searchable version would be very nice. 
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 03:54:41 AM »
Would it be possible to have written transcripts?  I understand it's a lot of work, but having a searchable version would be very nice. 
The only way that's happening is if some loyal listener volunteers to do it.

I can provide text for the scripted parts, but the interviews aren't part of that, and as I move towards the much-encouraged "less scripted" approach, even that'll fade.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 01:53:33 PM »

I can provide text for the scripted parts, but the interviews aren't part of that, and as I move towards the much-encouraged "less scripted" approach, even that'll fade.
What would be quite nice would be if we had a handy wiki, where we could cooperate in creating the transcripts...
Phil

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »

What would be quite nice would be if we had a handy wiki, where we could cooperate in creating the transcripts...
Good idea.  I'll see about creating one and linking it to the page.
Fred Hicks

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:16 PM »

Good idea.  I'll see about creating one and linking it to the page.
That would be fantastic, but we'll need some fairly solid rules about what can be added, and where.

It's more difficult to compartmentalise a wiki than a bulletin board like this, so things like spoilers and "stuff Jim shouldn't see" would need careful management.

Also, are we wanting to make a wiki which contains all known information about the TV series, or the books, or both, or alternatively are we wanting a very restricted subset of information?

Also, some authors like to keep a close eye on stuff like this (Diane Duane runs hers with an iron hand, Naomi Novik seems to let her very-well-behaved readers run loose) whilst some seem not to want to know. What would Jim's position be on this? and how about Robert in respect of TV-related stuff?

HTH HAND
Phil

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
That would be fantastic, but we'll need some fairly solid rules about what can be added, and where.

It's more difficult to compartmentalise a wiki than a bulletin board like this, so things like spoilers and "stuff Jim shouldn't see" would need careful management.

Also, are we wanting to make a wiki which contains all known information about the TV series, or the books, or both, or alternatively are we wanting a very restricted subset of information?

Well, since this is about the podcast, and about a wiki that's only for the podcast, I'd say we're talking very restricted, neh? :)
Fred Hicks

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »
Why not have a talk with Jim, using fan-submitted questions? The questions are posted in a thread, Fred choses the best and uses them in the interview with Jim.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 02:54:47 AM »
Why not have a talk with Jim, using fan-submitted questions? The questions are posted in a thread, Fred choses the best and uses them in the interview with Jim.

We'll be doing that at some point, yes. :)
Fred Hicks