Author Topic: Boingy boingy boingy  (Read 6352 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Boingy boingy boingy
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
Click here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.callahans/msg/647f523abd7581ee?dmode=source&hl=en&pli=1
for some hilarious ruminations on how to write a successful erotic scene.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

comprex

Re: Boingy boingy boingy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »

At least he's successfully crossed the dreaded Sock Gap.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
OMG, I have got to wait until I'm home before i open that!  I'm sure it's a blast.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline desylverwyrm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »
*falls out of her chair laughing*

The Mrs Geek

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
Oh that's hilarious! And it's aptly timed.  I'm currently writing a scene and trying to decided how to word all of it because it's an urban fantasy not smut.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
So what I want to know is what MDS or MSL is doing posting that on another forum!  LOL  Classic.  Great laugh!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
:: Snerk-snerk-snerk:: I'm minded of Neil Gaiman once confessing that it took him four years to write one bit of erotic fiction, because it was so embarrassing to write.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:30:57 AM »
four years!  Good heavens, new image of Gaiman.  Why did he write it then, I wonder?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »
four years!  Good heavens, new image of Gaiman.  Why did he write it then, I wonder?

It was supposed to be for an anthology of erotic fantasy, but he missed the deadline....

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
me thinks his agent got him drunk or he lost a poker bet or something.  obvious not in his chemical/genetic makeup.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
me thinks his agent got him drunk or he lost a poker bet or something.  obvious not in his chemical/genetic makeup.

The whole story about the incident is in the introduction to his short story collection "Smoke and Mirrors".

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
Got to admit it's a classic, but it's also a great commentary.  If you want to do something that goes into the same amount of detail as a Dresden book or a Blake book (I'm using those as contrasts, not suggesting they're the same), it becomes almost easy.  It's trying to be inbetween/your-own comfort level that sucks.  If you're actually writing a 'real-time' erotic scene and trying to set the mood, your choice of adjectives [and choice of where to use them all] can really set you apart.

To expand upon the given article: 'Pulsing' and 'Throbbing' are used.  Thing is, word connotation and synonyms are you friends, so maybe consider gentler things like 'trembling' or a more time-distinct thing like 'tremor'.  But, no mattr what main adjective you use, throw in a 'gently' in front of it and you have a, er, better image.  I can't say I've seen such in the real world, and must admit I hope never to, but take it for what it is.  The idea is that the occasional addition of an extra flavor adjective, or concious choice not to use it, can help set the mood without ruining it with strictly accurate scientific descriptions :P

A conscious style choice actively uses the referred to 'cop out' but doesn't make that the end of it.  Without actually describing the erotic [or smut ::)] scene there are many fun ways to tell what happens through character interaction that can be erotic in a different way.  A specific example I'm thinking of comes from the "Wheel of Time" series.  Without spoiling things in case you haven't read them and are into epic fantasy like me, one of the male characters references how he'd enjoy staying to have his back clawed again with a pointed heat in his eyes.  This brings a profound blush and fidget from his partner who quickly changes the subject.  Without once having an actual bedroom scene between them, a moment of definite heat (and possible humor, depending on the reader) has been introduced.  You'll notice this is also a Hamilton writing trick, and doesn't have to even hold a hint of humor.  The erotic mood is set simply by Anita imagining/remembering sensations that don't require a full explanation of the nasty.

In case you can't tell, work is WAY boring right now.  So there's my $2 : ;)
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline NothingWicked

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »
Gotta love Mat... anyways. I have to say I just can't really anything really explicit. It just gets annoying and kinda ooky for me. I guess I'm just old fashioned by I like the vague references and fill in you're own blacks scenes in my reading. Although smut does make for some laughs. 
"per me si va nella citta dolente, per me si va nell' etterno dolore, per me si va tra la perduta gente"

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 04:58:40 AM »
Gotta love Mat... anyways. I have to say I just can't really anything really explicit. It just gets annoying and kinda ooky for me. I guess I'm just old fashioned by I like the vague references and fill in you're own blacks scenes in my reading.

Gaiman wrote a preface for a recent reprint of "The Stars My Destination" pointing out that, had that venerable book been written in the past decade, there are several scenes that would have been written out completely, rather than allowing the reader to, as you say, "fill in their own blanks". I, too, subscribe to the theory that readers' own imagination can hook themselves rather effectively when the writer uses the technique properly. Unfortunately, if the story is in an anthology of erotic fiction, there isn't much room to use that dodge.

Although smut does make for some laughs. 

To quote Mike Pondsmith: "By itself, sex just isn't funny enough, even if you are wearing a clown suit at the time. Frustration, on the other hand, can be hilarious." I'm probably missing a few details. Would anyone with a copy of the "Teenagers From Outer Space" RPG care to post the exact phrase?
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 03:25:37 AM »
To quote Mike Pondsmith: "By itself, sex just isn't funny enough, even if you are wearing a clown suit at the time. Frustration, on the other hand, can be hilarious."

This is great and so true!