Author Topic: Do you think they'll do a D20 version of this?  (Read 13950 times)

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
Do you think they'll do a D20 version of this?
« on: December 14, 2006, 11:44:28 PM »
I don't know what system they'll use for the Dresden Files RPG because I don't know much about it but I'm curious whether there will be a D20 version possible. 

?
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Do you think they'll do a D20 version of this?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:54:52 PM »
I don't know what system they'll use for the Dresden Files RPG because I don't know much about it but I'm curious whether there will be a D20 version possible. 

I won't rule it out, but it's not how we're going to be releasing the game at first.  We'll be using Fate 3, the engine behind Spirit of the Century.

You can check Spirit out here:
http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 04:14:47 AM »
It's worth pointing out that while the d20 system is a fine system for doing lots of different types of campaign settings, it is also weak at doing any single setting.

In other words, it's a rules system designed to do certain things and as long as a campaign setting makes use of those things then d20 can handle it just fine. However, some aspects of the game (such as the magic system) are nothing like Dresden magic. The entire concept would have to be reworked in order to make Dresden fit d20.

Just my two cents.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:42:53 PM »
I think that you could do the Dresden-verse in d20.  Preferably with a significant variant, in the way M&M did supers (which, until I looked at that system, I thought d20 couldn't handle).

First, you'd have to create your own magic system.  Off the top of my head, I'd do evocation and thaumaturgy with totally different systems.  Evocation would be relatively simple.  A few relevant feats, and a skill for each element.  Make a skill check and spend vitality (I'd use the wound/vitality system from Star Wars and Spycraft) to cast a spell.  Spells themselves are very roughly defined, in much the same way regular skill checks are.  Alchemy would be its own skill, with a whole subsystem for determining the final potency (and effect) of the potion based on the ingredients added and the skill check.  Thaumaturgy, I'd have to research.  Despite it being Harry's stronger ability, it's described in much less detail in the books.  But, again, I'd probably assign it a suite of skills (e.g., Summoning, Wards, Scrying), and define how each skill works separately.  Thaumaturgy probably wouldn't cost vitality, but, rather, would have some other cost, and would have a large time component.

Second, you'd have to account for different creatures.  This is probably easiest done with level-adjusted races.  So, a fey costs you, say, five levels.  Then, you can become a warrior, or a mage, or a priest, etc.  Maybe actually make racial classes, so that you can represent fey of different inherent strengths, and so that you do things like gain werewolf after a few levels as a human.

For the basic class/skill structure, I'd probably fall back on d20 Modern.  As a devoted Spycraft fanatic, that pains me.  But, the Dresden-verse involves far too many people who are very low-powered and common.  d20 Modern does that scenario well.

I'd want to define a few other subsystems, like Faith.  Things that have a decided effect in the Dresden-verse, but aren't, strictly speaking, magic.

The biggest challenge would be maintaining the feel of the Dresden-verse.  d20 is, by its nature, a very tactical game.  Even when used for intensely socio-political games, it's very tactical.  The Dresden-verse, OTOH, is pretty fast-paced and seat-of-your-pants.  Now, there's no reason you can't play in the same universe with very tactical characters (e.g., playing out the Wizard/Vampire War).  But, it will be a pretty radically different feel.

Offline Set

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »
Personally I hate how the D20 systems have taken over. I like HOW the systems are set up, just don't like the D20 itself. Much rather have a %s based system. If anyone has played the old RollMaster system, that was the best. Just don't like how the lowest you can go on a D20 is at a 5% incriment.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:27:33 PM »
Personally I hate how the D20 systems have taken over. I like HOW the systems are set up, just don't like the D20 itself. Much rather have a %s based system. If anyone has played the old RollMaster system, that was the best. Just don't like how the lowest you can go on a D20 is at a 5% incriment.
You could always do 2d20 to increase precision...
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »
Really? I despised the Rollmaster system. When I was gaming all the time the systems I played were all versions of D&D, Gurps, Hero, Palladium, d6 Star Wars, and occasionally Rollmaster/MERP. I really don't want to roll % on 27 different hit and miss tabels every time I attack an opponent. One round of combat took longer than entire battles in other systems.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Set

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 04:03:49 AM »
I didn't say I preferred the 2 hour long combat chart system. I just like the 1-100% options vs the 1-20 (5% incriments). Much better.

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 06:12:23 AM »
Personally my biggest problem with the straight-probability systems (d20) is that they tend to add way too much variability to a person's actions. The bell curve of probablity you'd expect from, say, shots by a trained gunman are negated, and even the best shot will drop his gun every 20 statistical bullets. That's why I've come to favor the dice-pool/success systems, and up/down systems (like FATE or Fung Shui). It takes away that somewhat ridiculous element of regular critical failures in skills that a character is a theoretical master of.

Honestly, I'm not sure why d20 is so popular. It's far more complex and confusing than a lot of other systems, and the sheer volume of computation and chart-consultation required to play really stifles roleplay. It's great for vey crunchy, combat heavy, hack-and-slash, min-maxy gameplay, but I'm just surprised that that's the only real market for role play games.

/rant

To the point, I'm sure that with a skill-based, relatively loose magic system, a d20 version of Dresden could be made. But the strengths of a d20 system do not lie in the direction of flexibility and cinematic drama, so doing so would be counterproductive. You'd end up fighting your chosen system the whole way, rather than having it enhance the important aspects of the game.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 04:27:54 PM »
d20 has a few real strengths, apart from hack and slash.

If you keep the supplements, especially the wacky third-party supplements, to a minimum, it is very well-balanced.  Even to the point of, in certain variant rules-sets, allowing for an antagonistic GM (i.e., one who wants to "beat" the players) to take part, without arbitrarily winning (assuming, of course, he follows the rules, and isn't simply a killer GM who gets off on ruining other peoples' fun).

It is extremely extensible and flexible.  You can cover just about any genre, and most settings, with a d20 variant.  And, at this point, most of the genres are covered by at least one d20 product in print, so your work doesn't have to be huge.

The rules, while arguably complicated, are very black and white.  Everything is spelled out as to exactly how it works.  The extensive use of standardized terms throughout the rules (e.g., "sickened," "aberration") helps tremendously.  And, about 75% of the system is just calculating the modifiers to a straightforward d20 roll.

Social interactions and non-combat skill use can be handled with the same level of abstraction and exactitude as combat.  It is possible to build Sherlock Holmes, and have him both accurately reflect the concept, and have that concept have the appropriate mechanical benefits.

As for the bell curve issues, that is a very common and very valid complaint about the system.  The most common workaround I've seen is to use 2d10 or 3d6 instead of d20, which recreates the bell curve.  (Naturally, you have to redefine where critical successes and failures are encountered.)

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »
I don't like level-based character advancement.  One moment these Orcs are driving me nuts and I'm having problems in a one-on-one fight with them, then the next night I can start bashing them three at a time.  Big jumps feel really unrealistic, and advanced characters leave less advanced characters in the dust.  A 5th level character and a 15th level character can't run around together on adventures without the 15th level getting bored or the 5th level getting in maybe on or two good hits before having to run and hide.  It also makes it impossible to set up circumstances in which a peon can kill a great warrior.  A first level anything can figure out a way to completely tie down and immobilize a 20th level fighter, have a knife, and plunge it directly into a critical area after taking several minutes to make sure it's the right spot, and the 20th level character will NOT die 19 times out of 20.

Maybe I'm just jaded because my first experiences roleplaying were with systems like Shadowrun and BattleTech's d6 systems and with Vampire: The Masquerade's d10 system...

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Set

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 08:40:58 PM »
The other down side to a lot of D20s is that the characters look the same, just about.
Certain classes always have a certain high stat. Certain skills. Etc...
I just hope you guys get some reasonable variety in the world.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 11:41:13 PM »
I don't like level-based character advancement.  One moment these Orcs are driving me nuts and I'm having problems in a one-on-one fight with them, then the next night I can start bashing them three at a time.  Big jumps feel really unrealistic, and advanced characters leave less advanced characters in the dust.  A 5th level character and a 15th level character can't run around together on adventures without the 15th level getting bored or the 5th level getting in maybe on or two good hits before having to run and hide.  It also makes it impossible to set up circumstances in which a peon can kill a great warrior.  A first level anything can figure out a way to completely tie down and immobilize a 20th level fighter, have a knife, and plunge it directly into a critical area after taking several minutes to make sure it's the right spot, and the 20th level character will NOT die 19 times out of 20.
By the time you're level 20, you're a demigod in all but name.  A level 20 wizard, for example, has control over time and space, and is able to bend angels and demons to his will with a mere flick of a hand.  Why would you expect Joe Blow the farmhand to be able to kill him?

A coup de grace takes only six seconds to deliver.  And a knife really isn't the best tool for executions.

The other down side to a lot of D20s is that the characters look the same, just about.
Certain classes always have a certain high stat. Certain skills. Etc...
Honestly, that hasn't been my experience.  But YMMV and all that jazz.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 01:41:24 AM »
Level 20 fighter...this would be an Arthur or Launcelot or someone like that.  Tie him up bare-ass naked in ropes that he cannot move, then give a 12 year old with little experience any weapon you choose -- knife, sword, ax, whatever.  He has a 1 in 20 chance of killing this person.  In combat?  No chance in hell.  It's horribly unrealistic.  Something like Shadowrun is much better IMO because a 10 year old with a derringer has a chance of killing even the strongest cybertank character with a lucky shot.  I just think it works better, especially for something with a more real-world feel like the Dresden series.  A d20 Butters could never be able to sneak up behind someone and bash them over the skull to knock them out, for example.  The d20 system only works for unrealistic "board game" style adventure games where realism is thrown out the window and the game plays more like a board game...kick in the door, kill the baddies, loot the bodies.  If you try to get anything realistic into the game, it falls apart.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 01:05:08 PM »
RE:  level advancement.  I find this to be a peculiar argument, personally, but maybe it's because I grew up with D&D and other level-based games.  I do understand that some people find the discrete jumps in power "unrealistic."  Personally, I'm a fan of the way Rolemaster did it, in that you spent your points for the next level when you levelled up.  This allowed you to see what your character was working on learning, so that you could really work it into your roleplay.  But, I actually find the level-based advancement more satisfying as a player, much easier for bookkeeping, easier to balance, and not significantly more jarring than any other artifact of abstraction in a game system (such as, in WoD, being able to break all of human capability down into six levels, ranging from the complete inability of 0 dots to the Olympic quality of 5 dots).

However, I find the power gap argument to be rather specious.  Every game has a power gap.  Vampire, Shadowrun, Amber, whatever.  If the game allows advancement then, pretty much by definition, experienced characters are better than non-experienced characters.  And, most games deliberately allow characters to have a wide range of power levels, to allow the same game to be played several different ways.

The argument about the relative invulnerability of high-level characters is a solid one, especially in core D&D.  Unfortunately, it's very difficult to craft a system in which a knight can eventually go toe-to-toe with a dragon or survive a fireball, but a peasant with a dagger is still a credible threat.  The vitality/wounds system does that pretty well (the basic idea being that you have a number of wounds equal to your Con score that represent real body damage, and critical hits go directly to those, but vitality soaks up standard hits with luck, minor bruises and scratches, etc.).  M&M's damage save concept is interesting, in that there's pretty much always at least a 1-in-20 chance that the hero will go down from any appreciable damage.

I actually find that d20 adds a huge amount of variety to characters.  Especially once you open up a few supplements.  2nd Ed AD&D did have a serious problem with characters being mechanically identical.  But, with a variety of well-balanced base classes, a solid skill system, the infinite customization of feats, and the wackiness of prestige classes, I could easily make a hundred fighters that were all dramatically different, both mechanically and in personality.

Now, I will definitely admit that one of the weaknesses of d20 is that it assumes that everyone in the party is of the same relative power level.  It doesn't deal well with the kind of mixed bag of "experienced operatives" herding "normal people drawn into extraordinary circumstances" that you see in most literature.  So, putting Susan (especially Storm Front Susan) and Butters in a party with Harry and Michael wouldn't really work.  There are a couple d20 flavors that handle this reasonably well, but they do so by giving journalists and scientists their own mechanical advantages, which isn't really an ideal solution.