Author Topic: Bartlett Loring's Works  (Read 2053 times)

Offline CSDylan

• Conversationalist
  • It was a bright and stormy day...
    • View Profile
Bartlett Loring's Works
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
Hi all! I'm not exactly published yet, but I've been working on a few projects under the name 'Bartlett Loring' (Technically my legal name). Among them is an as yet unnamed series about a (female) bartender living in Tampa Bay, Florida who becomes the keeper of The Grail (yes, that one), the first book being titled 'On the Rocks'. Long story short it's like if Buffy worked at Coyote Ugly, only minus the super strength and plus a werewolf accountant.

I'm also working on a trilogy tentatively titled 'Alterra', which is about an alternate Earth that's a lot like our own only magic is commonplace and the countries are different. Oh, and they get invaded by aliens.

Then there are my baby projects, which are mostly just ideas. One is inspired by 'Life After People' on History, basically everyone disappears one day, then 100 years later they show up again, I'm still working on the why though. Then there's 'Sarah: The bravest little girl in the world.' which has a little girl find her self in a magical world with her imaginary friend, but things get progressively darker as she follows her friend. Finally there's an as yet unnamed adventure/romance set 20 minutes in the future.

I don't really have time to go into more detail cause I'm late for class, so I'll post more when I get home. I'd love feedback and any questions anyone has, they help me flesh out my ideas.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:17:43 PM by CSDylan »

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The musings of a wannabe (Who loves peoples opinions)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »
Speaking as one wannabe to another, welcome aboard!  :)

Your ideas all seem pretty cool. How far along have they come? Have you got any rough drafts yet?
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline CSDylan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The musings of a wannabe (Who loves peoples opinions)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:33:31 PM »
I've got drafts for a few chapters of 'On the Rocks' with a load of notes, outlines, and even some scenes for at least 6 more in the bar series. I've even got a title in mind for the last book: 'You Don't Have to go Home...' Because I'm a geek like that.
As for the book's verse, I've got a consistant setup for how weres work as well as a sort of council for the supernatural world in the form of Vulcan-esqe elves. I've got a couple different kinds of magic, like Wicca, witchcraft, and some magitech as well as Holy things like crosses, holy water, and of course the Grail itself.
I also have worked out, in detail, gnome mating, marrige, and divorce practices. They are all very disturbing and are not suitible for print. Or even thinking about.

I'm still working on the magic system and alien biology for 'Alterra', but I do have a solid setting that is basically the 1950's America, only, you know, not. I've also got a wide range of characters, though I'm trying to weed it down to a managble amount.

I have bits and pieces of story for the Life after people idea, but I've yet to come up with the why and how for where everyone went, let alone why some show up again. As for the rest, well that's basically all I've got.

Offline CSDylan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
When Pigs Fly: A Twisted Tale of the Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »
Yesterday I started writing a quirky little story about the consequences of a scientist genetically engineering a pig with wings. The plot is still a little rough but it centers around a confused high school junior being dragged around his wacky adventure hungry girlfriend best friend while the world falls into insanity. Here's a small sample:

When the video of Steve the Pig first hit youtube everyone called it a hoax. After all a piglet with bat wings was absolutly absurd, let alone one that could actually use those wings. But then more videos showed up from the small town of Stillwater, Kansas with a pink shape flying through the sky. Before long people started coming from all over the the country in hope of proving or disproving the creature's existance. More out of focus video and photos and eyewitness accounts came out, and before long everyone in America wanted to know the truth about Steve.
That is except for Billy McGee, who was too busy trying to work up the nerve to ask out Stacy Ling, a senior the editor of the Stillwater High Tribune and most beautiful girl in school. He watched as she handed out assignments to everyone on the staff. He loved how her black hair shone under the otherwise harsh fluorescent lights. How her brow knitted when she really got serious about her job. How her voice was like-
"Billy! Pay attention when I'm talking or I'll stick undercover in the middle school so fast you'll think the Flash put you there." Stacy said sharply. Billy sat bolt up in his chair.
"Sorry." He said as he tried to pay attention to her without focusing too much on how beautiful her ocean-blue eyes were.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Dylan's Works
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
I'm sorry, but when I see the thread title my first thought is "I loved 'And Death Shall Have No Dominion', but the stuff he sings on the radio these days is just noise."
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline CSDylan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Bartlett Loring's Works
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
It's a coincidence. Honest. Just because I have the same birthday means nothing! :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:26:57 PM by CSDylan »