Author Topic: He Who Walks Behind  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Shali

• Participant
    • View Profile
He Who Walks Behind
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
The latest update is up.  It includes a status report, and a write up of Harry's Favorite outsider

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2009/01/26/january-status-update/#more-463

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: He Who Walks Behind
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:59:58 AM »
Normally, these big nasty stat blocked characters/monsters that are supposed to be unbeatable like the Tarrasque aren't that scary to me. 

But, that's primarily because those monsters are meant for the highest tiers of play where abilities of players begin with, "Once per day, when you die..." or are at a range where players have devolved into a *#$% measuring contest between players.

However,
(click to show/hide)
's stat block scares the crap out of me as a perspective player and I'll tell you why:

TDF isn't about going from lowly Wizard in the Phonebook to the White Council's new age Merlin. TDF so far has been, new powers, new problems, same old crap, different day. No matter how much new stuff Harry gets to make life easier and himself more powerful, the more his normal problems weigh him down.

The stated outsider is not meant to be a big threat you will only be able to beat in epic tier, it's meant to be a threat you cannot beat, ever. As a player, if the GM pulls that character out in the storyline I wil be scared because I know me and my group cannot beat it.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
But, that's primarily because those monsters are meant for the highest tiers of play where abilities of players begin with, "Once per day,
The stated outsider is not meant to be a big threat you will only be able to beat in epic tier, it's meant to be a threat you cannot beat, ever. As a player, if the GM pulls that character out in the storyline I wil be scared because I know me and my group cannot beat it.
I think he's beatable. You just have to think non linearly to beat him.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
Wow, but does it ever look like a huge mistake to let this guy get up close and personal with you. It'd be like having a fist fight with a fast moving truck.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
Wow, but does it ever look like a huge mistake to let this guy get up close and personal with you. It'd be like having a fist fight with a fast moving truck.
Yep. You gotta fight not-fair and clever if you want a chance.

Harry D might have a few tips for you in that regard. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what sort of game effects come out of having the Supernatural Strength Stunt? I can imagine a bunch of things (adding to inflicted physical stress, decreasing difficulties to throw things, etc), but I'm curious what the official version might do. That is, if you're willing to answer such questions.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what sort of game effects come out of having the Supernatural Strength Stunt? I can imagine a bunch of things (adding to inflicted physical stress, decreasing difficulties to throw things, etc), but I'm curious what the official version might do. That is, if you're willing to answer such questions.

The specific implementation on that sort of thing might get tweaked.  But you've got the concepts pretty well surrounded: stress boost, bigger boost when breaking objects, boost for lifting things, etc.

There are a few "building block" powers in the game -- Strength, Speed, Toughness, Recovery -- that can each have one of three prefixes: Inhuman, Supernatural, or Mythic.

In general, Harry hasn't encountered things that have Mythic anything, though he might have tripped across one or two. 
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
The specific implementation on that sort of thing might get tweaked.  But you've got the concepts pretty well surrounded: stress boost, bigger boost when breaking objects, boost for lifting things, etc.

There are a few "building block" powers in the game -- Strength, Speed, Toughness, Recovery -- that can each have one of three prefixes: Inhuman, Supernatural, or Mythic.

In general, Harry hasn't encountered things that have Mythic anything, though he might have tripped across one or two. 

Okay. Cool. Thanks for the info.

If a Mythic rating is beyond what we've seen so far, it's got to be pretty impressive. We've seen stuff that can throw dumpsters, move faster than the eye can track, etc. If that's only Supernatural level, it sounds like we're moving into a kind of superhero area, where you might be throwing buses at one another.

Which is cool, by the way. I intend at some point to run a FATE supers game.

Offline Harlan Quinn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »
What does the term "Outsider" mean?   Are we talking about something along the lines of an Elder God?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »
What does the term "Outsider" mean?   Are we talking about something along the lines of an Elder God?
I would merely point you at the notion of the Outer Gates, and leave it at that.
Fred Hicks

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:04 AM »

(I hope Iago doesn't mind me explaining)

This information can be obtained from TDF RPG website on their articles on the Laws of magic, number 7 I believe: http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2007/10/09/the-laws-of-magic-part-8-of-8/#more-80
Never Seek Knowledge and Power from Beyond the Outer Gates

Harry defines outsiders in Stormfront I believe. It's an idea borrowed from Cthulu mythos.

The basic idea is that long before humans existed, this plane of existence was ruled by a race of very powerful demons that reached god-like status. Eventually, these being were made dormant and banished from our reality behind, The Outer Gates.

Outsiders are those demons and their minions. They are alien to our reality, not entirely bound by the laws of magic, physics or reality. Actually, they can be accurately described as demons or as anything else because they are completely alien to human experience.

Outsiders are hard to hurt with just about anything in addition to magic sliding off of them.

They aren't like Elder Gods, in many ways their not as powerful....but they are also worse.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline TheLibrarian

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:39 AM »
I ran across this thread off a google search, and i saw the question of what an outsider is. Im a big fan of Harry. In actul myth if your interested an outsider is a demon/entity who is outside the jurisdiction of either Good, or Evil. They are mentioned in the bible actuly. They are refered to as entities which fall outside the control of either Heaven, Hell, or the forces which maintain the balance between the two.

Outsiders also take places of power in some older religions, Cthulu myths are an example. As well as Aztec, Myan, Navajo, even Greek and Roman.

He Who Walks Behind is merely one, and one of the more well known ones.

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
Outsiders are those demons and their minions. They are alien to our reality, not entirely bound by the laws of magic, physics or reality.
If they can exist on earth they are probably influenced more by our reality than expected.
It is earth's gravity that keeps them on earth -uninfluenced by earth gravity they disappear into space as the earth rotates away from them and around the sun.
It is their interaction with electronic fields (the molecular bonds of the earth) that allows them to 'stand' on the earth's surface and to move across the earth's surface -uninfluenced by electric fields (earth molecular bonds) they disappear into the earth center if affected by earth's gravity.
It is their interaction with gravity and aerodynamics that might permit flying. Rules about linear and rotational momentum/kinetic energy probably still apply, rules about electrostatics probably still apply, rules about thermodynamics possibly still apply, etc.
If they have email accounts they will be spammed, if they earn income some government will try and tax them, etc.
Stephen