Author Topic: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG  (Read 20337 times)

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
Re: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
It's not just about the GM's side of things though, Scott -- but something's getting missed in the conversation here.  It's the victim that describes the consequence, not the attacker.  So bleeding out is only going to happen if the recipient is interested in that as an expression of a consequence or a concession...  The attacker's only ever going to get to stipulate something like that if the attacker inflicts a taken out result.

So really, you'll see "bleeding out" when a GM does it to an NPC because that's what a PC is gunning for and the GM's all too happy to provide it. But I don't think you'll see a lot of PCs experiencing the same thing, unless they think it's an interesting way to concede or what-have-you.

You know, in practice I negotiate with the player over the best description on a Consequence.  Didn't think about the implications of that 'house rule'.  My players like me to describe injuries anyway since I'm pretty graphic.  Hmmmm.  I've liked having things like that happen and the players seem to like it too.  Ever thought giving some options to Consequences like I mentioned above. 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
It's not just about the GM's side of things though, Scott -- but something's getting missed in the conversation here.  It's the victim that describes the consequence, not the attacker.  So bleeding out is only going to happen if the recipient is interested in that as an expression of a consequence or a concession...  The attacker's only ever going to get to stipulate something like that if the attacker inflicts a taken out result.

So really, you'll see "bleeding out" when a GM does it to an NPC because that's what a PC is gunning for and the GM's all too happy to provide it. But I don't think you'll see a lot of PCs experiencing the same thing, unless they think it's an interesting way to concede or what-have-you.

So, as a GM, if you wanted to encourage players to take this unique Conciquence, you'd have to let it slip before hand that fate points could be on the way. Still cool, in my opinion, but I can see now why this wouldn't have been to strictly laid out in the books.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
Yeah. Honestly I think each group will gravitate towards certain comfort zones in play. If someone's not that interested or hates being on the spot to come up with consequence descriptions, the GM's gonna dive in there and give a quick suggestion in all likelihood. There's nothing wrong with that really -- it's just that in terms of the *authority* going on in the system as written, the player's the final approver of that stuff... until taken out comes along.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
Oh! There's also a thing in DF that isn't in SOTC -- now there's a fate point payout for conceding. So some of what we're talking about here is baked in, because that payout exists as an incentive for the player to say "Okay, I'm going to concede at this point and take my payout. Cool?"
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »
Oh! There's also a thing in DF that isn't in SOTC -- now there's a fate point payout for conceding. So some of what we're talking about here is baked in, because that payout exists as an incentive for the player to say "Okay, I'm going to concede at this point and take my payout. Cool?"

And that's what I was looking for. Suggesting to the players that the payout is bigger if they concede by losing conciousness versus a smaller payout for simply surrendering, cool stuff you've got going there. Sadly, I've never paid SOTC, but I'm familiar with the rules.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »

Yeah I like this part.  Nice pretty levers, so shiny...

Do you have a 'BS' table rule?  Like someone's describing a hang nail for a Severe consequence for example.  Or do you just let it slide (since mechanically there's no difference).   
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
A hangnail that takes as long as a broken arm to recover from? Good lord. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
A hangnail that takes as long as a broken arm to recover from? Good lord. :)

I've run this at conventions... a lot.  Some people are just crazy.  The table rules advice in Diaspora and Mouse Guard are pretty good for this.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
I've run this at conventions... a lot.  Some people are just crazy.  The table rules advice in Diaspora and Mouse Guard are pretty good for this.
Yeah, I hear you. A general-service "sniff test" rule is not a bad one to have in your arsenal. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:02 PM »
Actually, it looks like we may have tweaked the language to make the GM the "sniffer" -- I wonder if that was in response to some playtester feedback. :)

Normally, the player taking the consequence gets to describe what it is, so long as it’s compatible with the nature of the attack that inflicted the harm. The GM arbitrates the appropriateness of a consequence and there may be some back and forth conversation before settling on one. The GM is the final authority on whether a player’s suggested consequence is reasonable for the circumstances and severity.
Fred Hicks

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »
Actually, it looks like we may have tweaked the language to make the GM the "sniffer" -- I wonder if that was in response to some playtester feedback. :)

Maybe.  Sounds like something I would have advocated...