Author Topic: Designing Dresden #5  (Read 8749 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Designing Dresden #5
« on: December 06, 2006, 06:25:38 AM »
I've posted a lengthy delving into the ideas of lethality and toughness in the Dresden Files RPG, from a "look at the design process" perspective.  Interested?  Check it out here:

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/news/archives/2006/12/designing_dresd_4.php
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
Re: Designing Dresden #5
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 02:23:29 AM »
It seems like it would be interesting to allow players to voluntarily *increase* how severe something is.  Why?

Let's say you are an ogre-blooded changeling fighting off a bunch of monkey demons.  You have to defend someone, and as such can't afford to take a penalty.

Your current stats are

mild
  • []

moderate
  • [][][]

severe
  • [][]

In this case, you'd rather have a moderate hit than a mild one, since if you have a mild consequence you've effectively lost.  Sure, you'll go down fast once you run out of higher level damage to substitute, but you'll be at full capacity for longer.  There's some precedent for similar stuff in the books (Dresden loves to burn his candle at both ends)
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:02:10 AM »
Good thought, Silfe!  I'll have to chew on that one.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:06:57 AM »
Seems like this would be very condusive to the dramatic style of FATE gameplay, especially if the person has to get into the gritty details of exactly how they make the damage worse. Heck, you could even use something like that to your advantage.

"rather than dodging, I jump straight into the knife, wedging it between my ribs, and grab hold of the guy's arm." Now you've got a higher damage tier involved, AND at the DM's discretion the enemy might take a penaty to dodging whatever you do next, or be unable to move away.

Offline Lord Nedd

• Posty McPostington
  • JB says "Beware the Mind Control Lasers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:42:57 AM »
Seems like this would be very condusive to the dramatic style of FATE gameplay, especially if the person has to get into the gritty details of exactly how they make the damage worse. Heck, you could even use something like that to your advantage.

"rather than dodging, I jump straight into the knife, wedging it between my ribs, and grab hold of the guy's arm." Now you've got a higher damage tier involved, AND at the DM's discretion the enemy might take a penaty to dodging whatever you do next, or be unable to move away.

"Do you know what your sin is, Mal?"

"Hell, I am kinda parcial to all them, but right now I am gonna have to go for WRATH!"

-LN
Cerebrum! Ceterus niveus caro!
-words to live by for the Erudite Zombie.

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:46:58 AM »
Heh, funny you mention Firefly. I actually just recently ran a FATE-based Firefly game. Was loads of fun. Only took about half an hour to do the conversion too.

Gotta say, FATE is the best game for new roleplayers I've ever come across. So long as there's nothing weird like magic to worry about, only need about 4 pages of insructions for character creation and play (plus DM to fill in details) and with a group of 5 newbies (2 new to roleplaying, period) only 45 minutes for character creation AND quick lesson in how to play. (which is almost the same thing, after all). I can definitely see why they went with this system for Dresden.