Author Topic: Learning to play RPGs / Where to Find Players  (Read 9713 times)

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to play RPGs / Where to Find Players
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
I'd definitely be willing to play -- especially if it's done via some sort of chat or MUSH medium, which is what I prefer. :)  But will do PbP too.
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Mr Suspenders

• Conversationalist
  • wee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
Would anybody be interested in starting a Dresden Files RPG group over the internet?  Maybe Play by Post, Skype, or something like that?

From my post above since moving up to Chicago, the group I play Fantasy Warhammer with, we've got a voice comm server (Ventrilo) and we're looking into a few online programs that will allow you to communicate and draw maps and whatnot to play.  We haven't tested it yet but I'd definately be interested in maybe joining an online group if one forms up.

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »
If folks are interested, let's try to get one set up then. You two know anybody else who'd like to play?

What time of day is good for you all?  What day of the week?

I'm not sure that my schedule will to allow me to GM, I just wouldn't have as much time to put in the effort I wanted, But I'll definitely play at least.

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »
Would anybody be interested in starting a Dresden Files RPG group over the internet?  Maybe Play by Post, Skype, or something like that?

I'd be willing as well.

Offline IIIMarconeIII

• Conversationalist
  • The Answer is ...42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I never rpg'd before but im interested
I sometimes wonder if the manufactures of foolproof items keep a fool on their payroll to test things.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

Ever type with no "a" key on a keyboard...it sucks trust me

[URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.h

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 04:15:19 PM »
Dropped a PM to you folks who expressed interest, so we don't crowd up this thread.

Offline Rock Me Asmodeus

• Participant
  • Hell's Belle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »
I'm interested, too.  I'm normally a play-by-post junkie, but I've been letting my boards slide a bit lately obsessing over my shiny new DFRPG pdfs.  XD

I've none traditional RPGs before, (Star Wars, D&D, OWoD, etc) but this Fate stuff seems really alien to me.  I can't wait to try it out.  Anyone here have any experience with Spirit of the Century or FATE?

Aine

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 02:35:03 AM »
Okay.  I ordered the pre-order.  Have no idea what to do next...

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
Okay.  I ordered the pre-order.  Have no idea what to do next...

1. Await/Claim your pdf (depending on who you pre-ordered from you either recieved a download link for it or it will be mailed to you)
2. Read the PDF
3. Tell everyone how cool it is
4. Find other people interested in playing by:-
  • Telling all your friends and Family how cool it is. If it helps show them the pdf. Persuade them they want to play
  • Going online. Try sites like http://nearbygamers.com/, http://forum.rpg.net/ and of course this very forum to find people who would like to play. If you are in the UK http://www.ukroleplayers.com/ is a great resource. I'm sure other countries have similar sites
  • Check out noticeboards in local gaming shops. Check to see if there are any existing groups which sound like they might be a good way to meet gamers interested in the Dresden files. If not place notices of your own and tell people you are looking to start a Dresden Files Game.

5. Once you've found people arrange a date to start playing.
6. The rest is detailed in the game. Have fun.

Aine

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
1. Await/Claim your pdf (depending on who you pre-ordered from you either recieved a download link for it or it will be mailed to you)
2. Read the PDF
3. Tell everyone how cool it is
4. Find other people interested in playing by:-
  • Telling all your friends and Family how cool it is. If it helps show them the pdf. Persuade them they want to play
  • Going online. Try sites like http://nearbygamers.com/, http://forum.rpg.net/ and of course this very forum to find people who would like to play. If you are in the UK http://www.ukroleplayers.com/ is a great resource. I'm sure other countries have similar sites
  • Check out noticeboards in local gaming shops. Check to see if there are any existing groups which sound like they might be a good way to meet gamers interested in the Dresden files. If not place notices of your own and tell people you are looking to start a Dresden Files Game.

5. Once you've found people arrange a date to start playing.
6. The rest is detailed in the game. Have fun.

*awaits*

Thank you!  After reading the pdf, it definitely seems like something that is easier to learn if you have a group of people around you who've, you know, played an RPG before. :D

Next stop: local gaming shop.

Offline AnInnocentBystander2049

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
I'd be down to try a play by post but I'm as green as can be. Is there a way to learn without ordering the guide? I know the basics but I'm hearing some rumblings that this is different. Any advice from my elders?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
I'd be down to try a play by post but I'm as green as can be. Is there a way to learn without ordering the guide? I know the basics but I'm hearing some rumblings that this is different. Any advice from my elders?

Sure. Look at the Spirit of the Century SRD, then find a GM and/or other players willing to help you with the stuff not covered (such as starting point totals, and the actual way stunts work in he DFRPG, both of which are different from Spirit of the Century). The differences, while significant, are nothing a good GM and fellow players han't help you through. You are gonna pretty much be restricted to non-Magic users, though (or at least non-Thaumaturgy users), those rules are too complicated to do without the book.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
Im down with playing a Play by Post game, in fact I've been looking for one for a coupla days now.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
I'm down for a Play-By-Post as well, and have been keeping an eye out - and I've got a friend who'd come in with me as well. We have some semi-solid character ideas (well, he has one and I am the man of a thousand characters, so I have a few on the top of my head), but neither of us has actually played any Fate based anything. I've owned Spirit of the Century for a while though.

The trouble seems to be more finding a willing game master than finding players...

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the collaborative city-building and the collaborative character creation. I've left my character's final three aspects open for that because that is seriously one of my favorite parts of the system.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline IIIMarconeIII

• Conversationalist
  • The Answer is ...42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
i know we don't have a gm, but it looks like we have some players. Does anyone want to set a time to all be online together, and chat about how to play bc i have never rpg'ed before and i have no idea how to start.

I'm in new jersey and almost any night during the week, 6pm-11pm eastern is good with me.

we could either post here or chat on facebook or something

I sometimes wonder if the manufactures of foolproof items keep a fool on their payroll to test things.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

Ever type with no "a" key on a keyboard...it sucks trust me

[URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.h