Linked Events

• TC signing in Omaha, NE: April 09, 2009

Author Topic: April 9: TC signing in Omaha, NE  (Read 11848 times)

Offline BethyB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: April 9: TC signing in Omaha, NE
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:39 AM »
So, there's enough interest that maybe only the first 50 people who can get there in the morning will get stuff signed??  And it's probably going to be worse now that the OWH ran an article on him today ...

I hope they have enough copies of Turn Coat.

Deflatedly,
Bethy

Offline Winter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
No, sorry I may have miss represented how they say its going to work.. first 50 will be one color next 50 will be another and so on.. they will call up the color groups at intervals.  Everything that I have heard says that Mr Butcher will stay and sign it all for everyone.  As for copies I saw a bunch there. I picked up mine already and will bring the reciept with me so I dont get double charged. 
Off to hang out for an early ticket.

Meg, I will try... but no promises.

Winter

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
I' m so excited. ;D
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Winter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »
T minus one hour and the dusters have started to arrive.  I have been looking forward to this and obviously not alone.
It looks to be a good turnout wish you were here.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »
ahhh, no number for texting.  Assume you are using a blackberry to keep us posted?  I'll leave my system up for your news reports!  Enjoy, party hardy Winter!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Winter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
Yes the crackberry was in use.  We , the wife and I, are back home now.  Jim was awesome.  30 minutes of Q&A.  The guy has a grin like a demented leprechaun.  He was alone and there were over 200 people waiting for autographs.  I was #6 in the numbered line the first 5 spots were given to the people that went to pick him up at the airport.  Sorry Meg, I didn't get you an autograph.  I had him sign the latest two hardbacks and then felt self conscious  about the people behind me.  We have several pictures and of course the obligatory while signing photo, one of which is priceless. 

I will say this, Barnes and Nobles did a great job, Jim was great.  The whole event was well worth the time i spent there.  I was the guy in the fire department sweat shirt.  The downside of this event is the shear number of people, I would love to sit over dinner and bs with Jim, there with all the people it was nice but his personality is the type that makes you want to call him up when you have a cook out. 

Well I am tired 5 am comes early.  Off to bed.

Winter

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »
He is great, isn't he?  No worry.  Shandra called me.  She got him to sign a TC for me, personalized!  We're going to swap out. 

Shandra never met him before.  She was incredibly impressed as I expected.  Sorry Shannon didn't make it.

And I love your grin like a demented leprechaun line.  cool! 

Is your wife an addict as well?  LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Shandra

• Conversationalist
  • Dark Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
Winter,

I was the girl in the red dress shirt (#37, entirely by coincidence, I arrived at 5pm) standing right behind the center row of seats.  I really wanted to shout out "anyone from the butcher boards here", but ended up being too chicken/talked out of it by my non-boardie friends. 

More details about the Q/A to come later.
Some people are brave; others just don't know any better.

Offline Winter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »
yes this is one of two series the wife and I both read, Kim Harrison is the other.

Butcher commented about 3 authors during his Q&A and I forgot to write them down.  It sounded as if they might be worth looking into.  Shandra if you remember em please let me know.

Offline BethyB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »
I was there too - pink top, brown pony tail, early in the second set of armbands - had a GREAT time, Jim is SO much fun.  Darn it, I can't remember the other authors now either.  Piffle.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 03:15:46 AM »
yes this is one of two series the wife and I both read, Kim Harrison is the other.

Butcher commented about 3 authors during his Q&A and I forgot to write them down.  It sounded as if they might be worth looking into.  Shandra if you remember em please let me know.

He frequently mentions authors like Lois McMaster Bujold (the Vorkosigan saga), Pat Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind), and Naomi Novik (Temeraire) at his signings.  Intro books for their various series are available in the "Stuff Jim Likes" section of the Jim-Butcher.com store.  I understand he also mentioned his friend and fellow author Cam Banks at that event!  His book, The Sellsword, is also available through our store.

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:55 AM »
... Pat Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind), and Naomi Novik (Temeraire)

Name of the Wind is outstanding, and the Temeraire books are pretty interesting. If you haven't read them, give them a try!
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline T.G. Swenson

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:08 AM »
I was number 36 and my gf was number 35. I think I met you then Shandra. I'm new to the boards but yeah.
It's nice knowing there are this many people into his books and the gaming and everything. I really had no clue. I'm originally from the Des Moines, IA area and haven't heard of much going on around here that interested me. Guess I've just missed it. Going to have to get out more and meet more people. I'll be moving to Omaha from Council Bluffs in June.

Offline Winter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »
He frequently mentions authors like Lois McMaster Bujold (the Vorkosigan saga), Pat Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind), and Naomi Novik (Temeraire) at his signings.  Intro books for their various series are available in the "Stuff Jim Likes" section of the Jim-Butcher.com store.  I understand he also mentioned his friend and fellow author Cam Banks at that event!  His book, The Sellsword, is also available through our store.

woot thats why your white council.. thanks P
Winter

Offline CHAR2056

• Conversationalist
  • I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »
This might be a little late to post here but I have been busy of the past week.  I was there also, I'm not hard to miss I was the one legged guy.  I am also with the OSFESt group and we took Mr. Butcher supper at Charlies's on the Lake and it was a good chance to talk casually with him.  We were trying to get him to come to out 2010 convention but he has a prior commentment, but were are not given up on him for a latter con.

Jason
I've heard the promises I've seen the mistakes I've had my fair share of tough breaks.
I need a new voice, a new law, a new way.
Take the time, reevaluate it's time to pick up the pieces, go back to square one.
I think it's time for a change.
*Take the Time* - Dream Theater