Author Topic: Jim's stand on fic?  (Read 24878 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Re: Jim's stand on fic?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
Or worse....Slash!

I just can't see Harry and Bob making out or Thomas revealing that deep down he really wanted to be in Harry's yellow ducky boxers.

No story ideas!
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
I just can't see Harry and Bob making out

I really didn't need to be set thinking about what Bob does to get around not having a tongue. Really.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »
I really didn't need to be set thinking about what Bob does to get around not having a tongue. Really.

It could be worse...imagine a fanfic with Bob meeting up with Sgt. Foley from Officer & A Gentleman:

"You better stop eyeballing me boy. I'll rip your eyeballs out the sockets and skull-
(click to show/hide)
you to death!"
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
And what's Harry's stand on Fan Fiction?  I wonder if he ever composed a Mary Sue story?   ;D
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 04:57:10 PM »
And what's Harry's stand on Fan Fiction?  I wonder if he ever composed a Mary Sue story?   ;D

I can see him doing a Mary Sue "Spider-Man" story, just to get it out of his system; showing it to anyone, however...I can't see him doing...better to run it through the shredder after writing it.

After all, not even a writer of Jim's talent can keep a Mary Sue from being regurgitatingly awful...
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
No story ideas!

ROFL

I can just see the slash writers furiously at work now...they'd forgotten about those boxers but they are going to now write a story where those suckers are burned into our retinas.
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »

Yes but Jim has already hinted that Bob gets around the fact that he's just a cloud of orange energy as it is, quite nicely.

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
It could be worse...imagine a fanfic with Bob meeting up with Sgt. Foley from Officer & A Gentleman:

"You better stop eyeballing me boy. I'll rip your eyeballs out the sockets and skull-
(click to show/hide)
you to death!"

Way kinky.  Bob would approve I think!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »

No but I can definitely see Bob composing Mary Sue fiction.  Wait where did I read elsewhere on the forum?

"And then Murphy burst in and ripped off her top....."  Isn't that how it starts?  Something about Bob in a menage et toi?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »
Harry did write a bunch of paranormal brochures for his office, didn't he?  :-)

They probably came with a fire-disclosure that author was not responsible for accidents. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
No but I can definitely see Bob composing Mary Sue fiction.  Wait where did I read elsewhere on the forum?

"And then Murphy burst in and ripped off her top....."  Isn't that how it starts?  Something about Bob in a menage et toi?

"And then, Lara Raith strode in, masterfully taking charge of the situation by grabbing Murphy in one hand, Bob in the other..."

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »
Ah ha ha!

I can totally see Bob doing that.  A gift for Harry, since Bob thinks he has an appallingly dismal love life.

Does Bob write pervy Mary Sue Fan-fics?  Someone should really ask Jim that next time on tour.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »
I know a lot of teenagers who've started dabbling in witchcraft/Wicca can get a bit pushy in sharing their new belief system, up to and including writing fanfiction set in fantasy worlds, where they convert all the magically talented characters to Wicca (much as pushy Christians will convert their favorite characters, up to and including villains/antagonists). I've seen it done with Harry Potter and the movie version of John Constantine, and even introducing it to Middle Earth (!). No doubt some teenybopper who's read Silver Ravenwolf's "Teen Witch" a few times too many would do the same to Harry Dresden. Despite his staunch self-identifying as "theological Switzerland" and the bit in Death Masks when Father Forthill asks him if he's ever going to convert from Paganism,  and he replies something to the effect that he isn't Pagan, so he doesn't have to.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Until he knows me better, that would more politely be a menage et vous.

I think Bob pretty much does this in "Something Borrowed", fwiw, with the assumptuions he makes when he wakes up in strange places.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »
Despite his staunch self-identifying as "theological Switzerland"

And though i know exactly what Harry means by that, every time I read it I still think of Calvinists first and neutrality later.

and the bit in Death Masks when Father Forthill asks him if he's ever going to convert from Paganism,  and he replies something to the effect that he isn't Pagan, so he doesn't have to.

There's a kind of mild blurring there between the Catholic tendency to refer to all non-Christians/Jews as pagans, and the way some Wiccans claim "Pagan" as basically meaning Wicca, which I find a bot bothersome because it's disrespectful to Classical pagans, Asatru, and other flavours of contemporary self-identified pagan.