Author Topic: Can't sleep, and I've been playing with this story in my head.  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Can't sleep, and I've been playing with this story in my head.
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
Couldn't sleep, so I've been working on some of my children s stories.  Have been playing with this particular little story for a while now.  Inspired by you know who, and it was always one of my childhood favorites anywho.

(forgive the typo's)

The three Billy Goats Gruff. Revisited.

Once upon a time there were three Billy Goats Gruff.  These three brothers, being very busy, had little time to spend together.

One find day, they agreed to meet for lunch in a lovely meadow on the other side of the river.  Unknown to the brothers a terrible and nasty troll had moved in under the bridge that ran across the river, claiming it as his very own.

The first of the Billy Goats Gruff to arrive was the youngest.  He started across the bridge, trip trap, trip trap.  The troll heard this as the promise of a tasty mean.   He cleverly waited until his prey was in the middle of the bridge, then sprang up, ready to pounce.

“Who dares cross my bridge” he cried, in a fearsome voice.

“Why, it is I, the youngest of the Billy Goats Gruff. I am going to yon meadow to meet my brothers”. He answered.

“Well, no one crosses my bridge” growled the troll “I am going to gobble you up”.  The troll began to grab for the poor Billy Goat.

“But wait sir” the clever little Billy interrupted “ my older brother will be following me soon, and he would be a much meatier meal for you than I would”.

The troll considered this for a moment, and being a stupid creature agreed.  “You may cross, and I will feast on your brother instead”.  With this, he slipped back down under the bridge, and the Youngest Billy Goat Gruff crossed to the meadow.

Now, not soon after the Bigger Billy Goat Gruff came to the bridge.  He spied his brother on the other side, and gleefully began to cross, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp.  Again, just as he was at the halfway point, the troll sprang up, intent on gobbling down the Billy Goat.

“Who is this trespassing on my bridge” the troll demanded.

“It is I,” The bigger Billy Goat Gruff answered “On my way to join my brethren in yon meadow.”

“Well, NOBODY crosses my bridge.” Screamed the troll “I am going to make a feast of you..” and he began to lunge at the Bigger Billy Goat Gruff.

But the clever Billy Goat had other ideas. He put out his hoof to stop the troll “But wait good troll” he spoke in his booming voice “soon my eldest brother will come to join us.  He would make a much tastier meal for you.”

The troll considered this.  The second Billy Goat was much larger than the first. The third ought to be even greater in size.  Unwisely, he agreed, and slithered under the bridge once again.

Not much time past, when the troll heard a strange noise on his bridge.  Tip, tip, tap, tip tip, tap.  The troll was expecting the Eldest Billy Goat Gruff and did not want anything frightening him away.  He quickly jumped out from under the bridge to dispose of the interloper.  To his great surprise, he saw a third Billy Goat Gruff. But instead of being larger than the second, he was smaller than the first.  This Billy Goat worn an old robe, and the tap sound was caused by a walking stick the old Goat leaned on. 

This angered the troll greatly, he had been expecting a huge and juicy meal, and instead was confronted with a stringy bony nothing.  He roared in frustration.

“Why, you’re nothing but string and bone” he bellowed.  “I have been fooled, and will use your bones to pick my teeth.”  He reached out for the Eldest of the Billy Goats.

“Good Sir” said the Goat” I have no quarrel with thee.  Stand aside so that I might join my brothers in yon meadow.”

The troll grew even angrier and bellowed again.  He reached out with his greasy clawed hands and made to grab the Billy and swallow him whole.

The Eldest Billy Goat had other plans.  He simply tapped his staff on the bridge, causing a blinding flash of light and peel of thunder.  When the light faded to normal, all that was standing on the Bridge was the frail Billy Goat Gruff and a small round donut.

The clever Billy Goat bent down and picked up the donut, then continued across the bridge to join his brothers.  Together the three spend the afternoon catching up with each other, and enjoying the lovely fresh donut the Eldest brought from the bridge.