Author Topic: Bloody Research  (Read 4309 times)

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
Bloody Research
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »
I am running into a few road blocks with my research on my current writing project (I would say novel but I only got two chapters so far). 

Where do you go to get information on "taboo" subjects?  I'm not really talking about alterntive sex lifestyles, but more of "What is the best way to crack open the skull to get to the brain?" and stuff like that.  It's sort of hard to find information on that on the internet. 

Also, fighting and stuff.  Where do you go for inspiration for writing such scenes?  I'm planning on taking a trip soon to the local university library to do research about it.  Is this a good idea or should I look at current works already written?

Offline waywardclam

• Conversationalist
  • Dangerous Submersive
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Research
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
Do martial arts, or fencing, or join the SCA, for info on fighting.

For the weird stuff... I usually drop into a writers' chat room.  You wouldn't BELIEVE the questions that get asked at Forward Motion's Think Tanks.  ;D
But MAYBE Lasciel will try to tempt Harry with the prospect of redeeming HER.
Wouldn't *that* be a powerful scene?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:33 PM »
Where do you go to get information on "taboo" subjects?  I'm not really talking about alternative sex lifestyles, but more of "What is the best way to crack open the skull to get to the brain?"

If I were looking for that, I'd start from cookery; people do fry calves' brains, for example. Or alternatively from surgery.

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »
You could potentially ask a doctor or medical examiner sort of person about the weird stuff.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Sara Dennis

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Sara Dennis Lives Here
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:08:53 PM »
There's a fantastic group on Yahoo called crimescenewriter that was started as a resource for people to ask medical and/or crime scene questions for use in their fiction books. All free, and there are a number of professionals or former professionals there. I believe that Wally, the owner, is a retired CSI.

You can join it here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/crimescenewriter/

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »
If you happen to know anyone in law enforcement, they could probably give you some information on weapons and how bodies react to various types of violence, and also point you in the direction of a local forensics lab.  Also, I found this link to the (in)famous Body Farm:

www.deathsacre.com/

-Liz
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline waywardclam

• Conversationalist
  • Dangerous Submersive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:15 PM »
On the subject of books, there are several available in my store (and presumably in others) with titles like "The Science of CSI", etc., and another one called "Stiff" which explores forensics on bodies.  Drop by your local store and look in the True Crime section to see if they have anything like that.
But MAYBE Lasciel will try to tempt Harry with the prospect of redeeming HER.
Wouldn't *that* be a powerful scene?

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 11:26:09 PM »
Can't really give anything helpful but your question about cracking skulls to get to brains reminded me of the scene in Hannibal where he's frying the agent or whatever's brains and casually pulls the top of his skull off, having sawed through it earlier.

I usually take fight scene inspiration from movies and books with nice good one's.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 03:23:23 AM »
Can't really give anything helpful but your question about cracking skulls to get to brains reminded me of the scene in Hannibal where he's frying the agent or whatever's brains and casually pulls the top of his skull off, having sawed through it earlier.

I usually take fight scene inspiration from movies and books with nice good one's.

For that particular question, I am working on a zombie project.  One of the ideas I had to get to the brain was to poke two fingers into the eye sockets and rip the top of the skull off. You would use the face as leverage for this, but I don't think the facial structure is strong enough for this.  It might just collapse. 

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
For that particular question, I am working on a zombie project.  One of the ideas I had to get to the brain was to poke two fingers into the eye sockets and rip the top of the skull off. You would use the face as leverage for this, but I don't think the facial structure is strong enough for this.  It might just collapse. 

Neat!  And an interesting way to get to the brain.  I dunno, isn't facial structure usually pretty strong?  Maybe the area just under the eyes down to the mouth wouldn't be able to take it but I'd think the rest would.  Then again, I could be entirely wrong.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 08:30:34 PM »

Yeah, I think if you don't saw through the skull first, hooking fingers through the eye sockets will more likely rip the whole head from the neck. Now, what might work is if the zombie rips the head off then flips it over and rips the jaw off (simple hinge would break easy) then kind of scoop the brain out from the bottom. I dunno, I'd have to look at a skull to make sure.  ;D
Anyway, here's a good sight for bizarre anatomy type questions. Specifically for writers.
http://www.dplylemd.com/

Good luck!!

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 09:47:36 PM »
For police stuff, I'm subscribed to the ask_a_cop community on livejournal.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.