Author Topic: Aelioua-Name Syndrome  (Read 6794 times)

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
Re: Aelioua-Name Syndrome
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 03:40:37 AM »
Thinking up names a chore I like to do. I don't have problems in making them sound elvish as I don't follow the today's general version. Names have meaning, an identity to the soul and I like all my characters' names to have meaning. The baby names book was a laugh as I had the exact same experience (buying one for my sister's firstborn).

I've created a system that making up names and languages easier, which also helps in being bilingual  :D. The kind of names I use for had a lot of 'a's and 'i's, cos to me, it sounds nicer.
Aneqes (Instinct)
Areaqain (Flowers in bloom)
Iqeas (Purity)
Aqera (Tangible purity)
Isane (Radiance)
Qionit (Most exemplarily)
Suayunu (Faith)

My main character has to learn all the new language by scratch so the readers can follow along. She can get confused with areanai, asaanai and areasaanai (and not asaareanai, which doesn't mean anything)  :)

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline Negolith

• Participant
  • Mush-a rain dah ma dood de ma dah!
    • View Profile
    • Negolith Ta'al Mesathra
Re: Aelioua-Name Syndrome
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »
I work for a third party insurance administrator, and for the last 10 years I've been jotting down names I find interesting.  Let me tell you - some of them have been just incredible and fit perfectly into a fantasy setting.  Just recently I came across Teal & Maya Darkenwald and thought cool.  Some other names I've run across and used:  Iseri, Kenje, Dantiniuk, Argenal, Syrjanen, Talvi.

I have all kinds of them written down for future reference.  I very seldom have to make a name up, but when I do it's mainly to fit the race I have the character.  Or I play with the existing real name - add a letter, drop one, that sort of thing.   
Be the kind of woman who, when her feet hit the ground in the morning, makes the Devil sit up and say, "Oh, crap!  She's awake!"

In the karmic bathroom of the universe, I swear I am the toilet paper.