Author Topic: overlapping story ides  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Roaram

• Participant
    • View Profile
overlapping story ides
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:42:29 PM »
Before I get to the topic, let me first say I am a big believer in world/universe building. I think that any fantasy/sci-fi is better off for it, and that the stories seem more realistic if the world is comprehensive.

so my topic is this- I have multiple story ideas that all share a common element, but can not necessarily coexsist in the same universe. for example two stories about nanotech that create same type characters, set in different times, with entirely uncompatible story arcs.
or a fantasy character that could easliy be made into a sci-fi character,

my question is does this happen to you? and if so, what do you do? write both? pick one?
just wondering how other peoples heads work on this one

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: overlapping story ides
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
so my topic is this- I have multiple story ideas that all share a common element, but can not necessarily coexsist in the same universe. for example two stories about nanotech that create same type characters, set in different times, with entirely uncompatible story arcs.

On what scale of incompatibility ? My first thought is to think of that as a challenge. Maybe there's stuff going on in the background that allows the two stories to fit together.  Maybe the viewpoint characters are wrong in how they think things work. Maybe one of the stories is fiction wiritten by a character in the other universe who wants to imagine what life would be like if something were slightly different.

or a fantasy character that could easliy be made into a sci-fi character,

That, on the other hand, makes very little sense to me, because a character is so much determined by the world and culture and background they live in. Could you expand on that ?

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Roaram

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: overlapping story ides
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »
did you just invite an aspiring author to keep talking about ideas? expand I will!

the ucompatibility problem stems from the introoduction of the nano tech, one by aliens, the other thru tech proliferation falling into the hands of the general populace. theideas could be bridged, its definatly possible. but I think the stories would be better separate. their focus is different. I mean, one is aiming at the star wars genre/market. the other on the superhero  genre.

as for characters being interchangeable, I see your point, but I was thinking of 40's sci fi with flying fortresses and jetpack fighter piolets, and then realized it could go fantasy with flying frigates and magic dragon suits(wings and fire balls) then the stories would change a lot. but still enough similarities to make me pause.

basically I keep coming up with a cool core idea, and start running, come up with a world of ideas, and then toy with the core idea again, and run off in a new direction.
or I insert cool ideas into other storys, and then want to insert same idea into something else later. and I don,t think its a creativity thing. I can juggle my ideas to get them to match up, just sometimes I feel like o have a lot og leggo's, but not enough red or yellow pieces to make the cars all the same color.