Author Topic: Language question  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Language question
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
Okay, I'm writing a book based on one of my comics and a couple of characters are aliens (space, not illegal.) So my question is: how do I mention they are talking in another language? Due to how the story is told, the other language will be "translated" to English. So they're talking in their language, but you read it as English. When I do it in my comics, I put the words in "<", but I didn't know if I could do that for a book.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Language question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
Okay, I'm writing a book based on one of my comics and a couple of characters are aliens (space, not illegal.) So my question is: how do I mention they are talking in another language? Due to how the story is told, the other language will be "translated" to English. So they're talking in their language, but you read it as English. When I do it in my comics, I put the words in "<", but I didn't know if I could do that for a book.

Italicise it ?  I've seen that used to indicate "character speaking in non-English language".
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
Italicize it, and make mention somewhere the first time it happens that they're speaking their native tongue.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
Leaving off the quotation marks can also be effective, indicating as it does that the sounds are produced by some means other than standard vocal cords.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
Leaving off the quotation marks can also be effective, indicating as it does that the sounds are produced by some means other than standard vocal cords.

Spooooooooooky.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

comprex

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »

How do you know they're not illegal?

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »

They are actually using vocal cords, though.

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
italicize. I think. Depending on what person you're writing in, it could be very hard to sneak in a way to overtly say they're speaking another language. Perhaps have another character react to it. Or have one ask the other how they should put something in english (or whatever).
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »
So sometimes italicized is used for personal internal dialog to offset from spoken dialog in 1st POV, what do you do then?

To be honest, I don't see why you don't continue the way you do them in the comics as long as it makes sense to the reader what you are doing.  If you wish to publish it eventually--they'll probably tell you how it should be done and you might need to negotiate that you don't want to change it!  Language and grammar (oh listen to the groans from absolutism grammar rules advocates) are there for communication.  As long as you and the reader understand, then the mission is accomplished.   

Can you tell I was a communication major, not a language major?  LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:06:10 AM »
You know, it probably doesn't matter what you use, so long as you're consistent.

#For example, I've seen something like this to denote an alien language.#

You could equally :put things in colons:

Whatever you want...again, I think the trick is to just be consistent!

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »
In some comics, they use different fonts. Might not work in novels though.
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »
You don't necessarily have to offset it.  I've seen authors who use other characters, fonts, bold or italicize or capitalize to make it clear, and I've seen other authors who just write one throwaway line, continue writing as usual, and imply they're speaking in another language in future appearances.
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]