Author Topic: Yay! I got my first rejection letter.  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Yay! I got my first rejection letter.
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
I know, it sounds odd that I'm being cheerful about getting rejected, but hear me out: I sent out about 7 in the past month and only one of the 7 came back, which means that at least SOMEONE is paying attention to me. That wasn't even the oldest query letter I sent out, either.

Offline Wizwad

• Seriously?
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
Re: Yay! I got my first rejection letter.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
Well done, Sameth!  Keep up the good work.  :)
Life  isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain. ~  Unknown

Offline konstantine23

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
Congrats! :)
~*...Make Awkward Sexual Advances....Not War...*~
~*...This is the correlation of salvation and love. Don’t drop your arms, I’ll guard your heart. With quiet words I'll lead you in...*~

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
I know, it sounds odd that I'm being cheerful about getting rejected,

Great attitude!  Love it. I sent three out last December to my top favorite agents so I could claim that the best had turned me down!   
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline tagnizkur

• Conversationalist
  • 1 IN 88 The numbers grow!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
Makes me want to start sending out so I can get rejected at to... 
My Sons Page, click to support us in the walk.
http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
Autism Speaks, Its Time to Listen.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
man, I had a thought, Male writers must get laid, they are used to rejection, perhaps not.
Good for you Samath!
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:23:23 PM »
Congratulations!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
man, I had a thought, Male writers must get laid, they are used to rejection, perhaps not.
Good for you Samath!

The odds of a male writer getting laid are about the same as the odds of getting an acception letter.

Offline konstantine23

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »
Not with the writers I knew....lol.
~*...Make Awkward Sexual Advances....Not War...*~
~*...This is the correlation of salvation and love. Don’t drop your arms, I’ll guard your heart. With quiet words I'll lead you in...*~

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »
Makes me want to start sending out so I can get rejected at to... 

caution :-)  On a website I found out that one agent was looking for a large historic novel.  As a whim, I sent it off with my three sci fi queries I was sending to agents.  I got bounced back quickly on the sci fi.  The rejection on the monster historic novel took forever!  I sweated it daily ,as the work is a huge chaotic mess that is so far from sending out.  The longer it got, the shorter I chewed my nails.

Thankfully a great deal later, I got the rejection letter I expected all along.  It was lovely and they told me that they had decided to go with a published author wanting to break into a new field.  The sweat and worry wasn't worth it.  Plus I felt that I was misrepresenting myself and my work to the agent.  I vowed to never, ever send a query on a whim for something that I'd be embarrased to send in if requested..

So send in, but beware they might actually want to SEE it!  It would be horrid to get a request and then look unprofessional by explaining it wasn't ready.  :-) 

Offline tagnizkur

• Conversationalist
  • 1 IN 88 The numbers grow!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
caution :-)  On a website I found out that one agent was looking for a large historic novel.  As a whim, I sent it off with my three sci fi queries I was sending to agents.  I got bounced back quickly on the sci fi.  The rejection on the monster historic novel took forever!  I sweated it daily ,as the work is a huge chaotic mess that is so far from sending out.  The longer it got, the shorter I chewed my nails.

Thankfully a great deal later, I got the rejection letter I expected all along.  It was lovely and they told me that they had decided to go with a published author wanting to break into a new field.  The sweat and worry wasn't worth it.  Plus I felt that I was misrepresenting myself and my work to the agent.  I vowed to never, ever send a query on a whim for something that I'd be embarrased to send in if requested..

So send in, but beware they might actually want to SEE it!  It would be horrid to get a request and then look unprofessional by explaining it wasn't ready.  :-) 

Truthfully, i wouldn't even know were to begin.  The publishers I have worked with are small time magazines and friends of friends... 
My Sons Page, click to support us in the walk.
http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
Autism Speaks, Its Time to Listen.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
I got a second one. Surprisingly it's from the same date as the other one I sent. Why are the more recent ones sending the rejections first? Is the silence of the previous ones rejections or just busy agents?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
One agent implied that the agents tend to drop to nothing and don't work through Aug, starting fresh in Sept.  Maybe they are on vacation? Or getting kids into schools, etc?