Author Topic: Help on procedures for kids of dead parents.  (Read 5550 times)

Offline WyldCard4

• Participant
    • View Profile
Help on procedures for kids of dead parents.
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
In a story I am writing a boy's father commits suicide, I was wondering if there was any online resource for what the police would do with the boy and his younger brother.

I was thinking it happened in a small town in Kansas, the boy is 13 years old with a 7 year old brother, only living relative is 19 year old sister in another state.

Is there anywhere I could find information about what would be done?

Only the first day or so matters for the story as acts of plot make it moot afterward.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Help on procedures for kids of dead parents.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm guessing that the kids would first be taken into police custody and then placed in foster care, but the best thing to do would be to check with a member of the police force or somebody in Social Services  who could give you accurate information.  The procedure might also vary from state to state.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:57:45 AM »
if the sister is their closest living relative, I'd imagine they'd  at least contact her about the custody issue, given that she's legally an adult
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline MaleFide

• Participant
  • Yes, they're real.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
Kansas CPS manual:

http://www.srskansas.org//CFS/cfp_manuals/ppmepmanuals/ppm_manual/ppm_sections/Table_of_contents.htm

Click around, they will have a section somewhere in there on co-ops with Law Enforcement.

Ginley: So, what has she got that makes her so special?
Karen: Emeralds for eyes, liquid paper white face and a Transylvanian drawl to match.