Author Topic: For-Certain Character Types  (Read 29826 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: For-Certain Character Types
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56:20 AM »
Here's another idea I had a question about:

You can be a True Believer like Father Foothill and stuff, but what if I want to play the exact opposite of that?
Let's say Bob the Mortal (Hypothetical) is the world's biggest Skeptic and doesn't believe in all this magic crap. One reason he doesn't believe (or because of his disbelief) Bob the Mortal has a natural resistance to the Magic, the ability to see through Glamours and other natural defenses against powers of the things that go bump.

I know that the FATE system is easily customizable and it can be as easy as choosing certain stunts, but what options do I have? Is their like a "Magical Resistance" Stunt or "I see Strange People" or something?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
If Bob the skeptic could see through glamours, and other magical disguises, then he probably wouldn't be a skeptic for long :P

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »
I can imagine a stunt which gave you a bonus to any sort of resistance roll you'd get against magic. We've seen several beasties with a great deal of resistance to magical effects. It really depends on the particulars of the magic system, but I can imagine a series of stunts which granted you a degree of magic resistance. Of course, with powerful resistance comes a lowered refresh and thus more compels you need to go along with.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
Are Panweres possible in the RPG? Panwere meaning a Were-from with multiple animal forms.

Also, I know Were-forms are dedicated casters, only able to do the one spell and back, but are there full-blown wizard equivalents?
Are Wizards capable of Were-form magic without breaking the Laws? I think you'd be able to without breaking the Laws of Magic because it is yourself and not someone else.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
I would guess that a full blown wizard who also has the advantages of a were-creature would have a negative refresh and would therefore be unplayable. Depending on the way they structure the were-creature stunts, you might be able to be a focussed caster with multiple were-forms and stay in the refresh positive column.

Offline Will

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 07:22:06 AM »
Are Wizards capable of Were-form magic without breaking the Laws? I think you'd be able to without breaking the Laws of Magic because it is yourself and not someone else.

According to http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/news/archives/2007/06/post.php (bottom of the page), you're right.  Though I would imagine that from a fluff/RP point of view, it would be awkward(but very fun) to play a shapeshifter.  Depending on the variety(i.e. just shifting forms vs. using the mental aspect as well), it could go from someone who constantly needs to make an active effort to remember how to do physical motions in a certain form, such as their natural human form just because they have to keep some many ways of 'piloting' in their heads to some advanced and entertaining case of multiple-personality disorder where, having the hunter-spirit or mentality of animals that typically hunt each other, all sorts of internal struggle ensue that goes to destroy one's psyche. (Which, as an aside, would make for some pretty nifty story-plots.  Especially if some of them were imbued by the shapeshifter in order to keep other hunter-spirits in check...)

Then again, I suppose one can play a perfectly mentally stable and well-disciplined shapeshifter(i.e. the immortal shapeshifting guru mentioned in the books), though I would imagine that to represent the mental discipline and training required, other aspects of the character would suffer. (Though this is from someone who knows nothing about the FATE system at all).