Author Topic: For-Certain Character Types  (Read 29809 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: For-Certain Character Types
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »
From the books, a wizard is a magic practitioner with both power and talent. Sorcerers just have raw destructive power, but with no skill to do other things.

I am guessing that a minor talent is someone with little magic but some flexibility.

My guess is that a focused practitioner is like Mort, a one trick pony.

True believers are probably like Father Forthill. Their faith doesn't give them huge powers, but they always seem to be protected and they might have other things going for them.

How close am I?  (:

Pretty close.  Minor Talent? Lydia, from Grave Peril, is one example.  As might be slightly-precognitive lass from White Night.

Sorcerers are sort of like Wizards without the bloodline or the training. Think Victor Sells.

Otherwise you pretty much have it.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
First, thank you Iago for what appears to be (almost at least) an excerpt.  That was a much-desired peek into things.

I do find it interesting that the Knights of the Cross come under "Champions of God", as this indicates that there are other types of champions out there.  I like.

I also find it interesting that there is as much differentiation as there is... 'Minor Talent', 'Wizard', 'Focused Practitioner', 'Sorcerer'.  I kind of thought that the differences would be built with skills, aspects, and stunts (SAS), but that the builds would use the same SASs in different fashions.  As I understand it, these (Wizard, Sorcerer, etc) are Stunts, yes?

On Ghouls: One of the playtest groups (Rick Neal) actually tweaked things a bit and had a ghoul PC.  I'm not saying it's a great idea, but hey, who am I to judge? :)
http://www.rickneal.ca/?page_id=53

Just an amusing (to me at least) note regarding God and gods: even in the Old Testament, God talks quite regularly about gods.  He doesn't generally say that they don't exist, just that they aren't the Almighty, and to not pay attention to them.  Hmmm...
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »
That's why you play a ghoul who's a vegan. :D

Ohhh, you want to play a starved-to-death ghoul! Now I get it! :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
I also find it interesting that there is as much differentiation as there is... 'Minor Talent', 'Wizard', 'Focused Practitioner', 'Sorcerer'.  I kind of thought that the differences would be built with skills, aspects, and stunts (SAS), but that the builds would use the same SASs in different fashions.  As I understand it, these (Wizard, Sorcerer, etc) are Stunts, yes?

Minor Talents don't participate in the spellcasting game. This is for one-off non-spellcaster types.

So really it's just the Focused Practitioner (narrowly defined, small set of stunts, ala ectomancer), Sorcerer (no bloodline and mostly self-trained, but could go toe to toe with a wizard on a good day), and Wizard (full bloodline, training, white council membership and oversight, etc).  They're sort of weight classes, though they're weight classes that could kick each other's asses under the right set of circumstances, with plenty of overlap.

Templates (such as the one seen above) aren't stunts, they're stunt-sets.  So think of these three templates as "character recipes".

On Ghouls: One of the playtest groups (Rick Neal) actually tweaked things a bit and had a ghoul PC.  I'm not saying it's a great idea, but hey, who am I to judge? :)

Oh, I'm well aware of Rick's wonderful playtest blogging. :)

I warned him that the Ghoul type of character was probably not an official option.

Just an amusing (to me at least) note regarding God and gods: even in the Old Testament, God talks quite regularly about gods.  He doesn't generally say that they don't exist, just that they aren't the Almighty, and to not pay attention to them.  Hmmm...

Yes, quite interesting, isn't it?
Fred Hicks

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »
So it looks like my idea of a cop with a talent for finding people (lost folks, murderers, kidnapees) would be a Minor Talent then.  A bit like Angela Dodson in the Constantine movie.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »
So it looks like my idea of a cop with a talent for finding people (lost folks, murderers, kidnapees) would be a Minor Talent then.  A bit like Angela Dodson in the Constantine movie.

Or could be a Focused Practitioner -- a divinator or somesuch.
Fred Hicks

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
I guess so.  I think of the concept as more "I just know where to go and look" rather than "I perform my locator ritual using the murder weapon" though... but with a bit of focus the Minor Talent's instinct could be honed into the Focused Practitioner's directed ability.  Perhaps that is a character goal right there? ;)
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
Warden Swords, would those be Items of power or are those too uber for PCs?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »

It depends on the game you run.  If I let a character have a Warden's Sword, they'd also get cool accessories like a Warden's Cloak, a Warden's responsibilities, and a Warden's enemies.  Congratulations, you are now a primary target of the Red Court!  Enjoy the sword...
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »
Haven't plumbed those particular depths yet. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »
Home brew:

Personal Artifact Stunt required:
--Warden swords pitch conviction and/or discipline against the foes to unravel the spell, can be done as part of an attack.

Obviously aspects can be tagged to boost the chance.

I don't remember but if it is said that any warden's sword can unravel any magic then it might very well be a bit of propaganda.  Give a seed of doubt to foes and what not ;) .

Offline tonpa

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »
That sounds really good, maybe would reguire "Warden Sword" -type aspect, maybe named that would modify the specified affect. If the effect would be one player is defending against, it could be a turn based check to keep the enchanment going (basically going against a static block number from the enemy npc), maybe with Conviction or Lore being the skill used. 

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
Nah, it'd be part and parcel of the "White Council Warden" aspect, they're just required to also pay for the stunt of having their sword (unless they're like harry)

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
Remember that Warden swords are custom to each Warden. I don't think that they'll work for just anyone. That's why Harry doesn't have one yet.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
Remember that Warden swords are custom to each Warden. I don't think that they'll work for just anyone. That's why Harry doesn't have one yet.

And might not ever, due to the way the end of Dead Beat shook out.
Fred Hicks