Author Topic: For-Certain Character Types  (Read 29785 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: For-Certain Character Types
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
Indeed.

There are lots of things that live in the Nevernever. Old gods might be an interesting start.

Emissary of Power
Emissaries are mortals who’ve been saddled with a burden of great power—and great responsibility—by one of the big dogs in the supernatural community: they might be vast powers from Faerie or the outer reaches of the Nevernever, one of the true dragons, or something stranger.  Emissaries of power are often the bearers of items of great potency, able to tap into the power of their patron and bring it to bear on their patron’s behalf.  Such champions are usually more victim than anything, though—powers such as theirs come at the price of dark bargains, be it a lifetime of thankless servitude and sacrifice, their eternal soul, or other such “petty” things.

Knights of the Faerie Courts are an example of this, as are—by certain lights—champions of God such as the Knights of the Cross.  Both have their own templates found elsewhere in this chapter.  This template, then, is for the outliers, the cases that aren’t covered by the more common, more easily identified emissary templates.  Perhaps there was once the Autumn Court of Faerie that got crushed by Winter and Summer—and some hapless mortal is its champion.  Perhaps the dragon Ferrovax has need of a functionary that can handle all of that insignificant mortal nonsense on his behalf.  Perhaps something else is afoot.

[MARGINALIA]
HARRY: Billy, do me a favor and stop inventing problems I don’t already have.
BOB: Actually, there’s some merit—
HARRY: That goes DOUBLE for you, Bob!
[MARGINALIA]

For the player looking to play something supernatural, but unsure what, this template offers plenty of build-your-own options.  GMs are, however, encouraged to make the demands of the emissary’s patron a regular (if not constant) pain in the ass.

Musts: An emissary of power must have a high concept aspect that speaks to the bargain or pact they have made with a patron of great power (e.g., LAST CHAMPION OF AUTUMN or FERROVAX’S TOADIE).  This aspect brings with it all of the strictures and responsibilities the patron places on the character—which can sometimes be a moving target.  It may also mean that the patron can occasionally exercise near-total power over the PC (think of Harry’s predicament when Mab decides to force him to do something—like stab himself in the hand).  Player and GM should discuss the terms of this agreement, to the extent they’re known by the PC.

[MARGINALIA]
HARRY: Thanks for that reminder.
[/MARGINALIA]

In addition, the emissary must take Marked by Power [-1].

Options: Many of the abilities in the supernatural abilities chapter (page XX) are negotiably available, assuming you can afford the refresh cost, matching the theme and nature of the emissary’s supernatural patron (if the patron is in some way a mystery to the character, the powers taken may offer a hint).  Often some of these powers are essentially contained within an Item of Power (page XX).

Total Refresh Cost: Varies, but starts at -1 due to the Marked by Power ability.  No two emissaries are alike.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
Even more intriguing. Bery, bery interestink.  ;D Some really neat ideas in there.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
Very nice. I especially like the notion of nearly obliterated Faerie courts sending out their champions to do, well, weird Faerie things.

And I was going to guess dragons with emissaries.

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
Will you be able to play a semi-refined and repentant ghoul? Or will ghouls only be NPCs?   
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »
Will you be able to play a semi-refined and repentant ghoul? Or will ghouls only be NPCs?   
Ghouls aren't going to be "supported" PCs, but I imagine some playgroups will decide to support them, and that's fine.  The system doesn't do a lot to stand in the way of any character concept so long as the PC can afford the abilities without going over the refresh limit.

Still, eating its own body-weight in raw flesh every day, or something?  Yiiigh, not a PC I want to spend time around!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »
What is a Refresh rate?

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
What is a Refresh rate?

It is the rate at which characters recover fate points.

See, fate points are a resource in the FATE RPG system. You spend them to get to do certain things. Every session or so, you fill  your fate point pool up to a certain point, which is your refresh rate. If your refresh is 10 and you ended last session with only 5, you start the session with 10. However, if you ended last session with 12, you keep the 12 and refresh doesn't affect you.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »
Gotcha, thanks!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »
It is the rate at which characters recover fate points.

See, fate points are a resource in the FATE RPG system. You spend them to get to do certain things. Every session or so, you fill  your fate point pool up to a certain point, which is your refresh rate. If your refresh is 10 and you ended last session with only 5, you start the session with 10. However, if you ended last session with 12, you keep the 12 and refresh doesn't affect you.

It'll function a little differently from the SOTC model in DFRPG, but that's a good approximation. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
It'll function a little differently from the SOTC model in DFRPG, but that's a good approximation. :)

Are you doing the, "It's what you get per session, period," version? That's how they seem to be using it in Starblazers.

Offline Douglas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »
What's the line between True Believer and Champion of God?

And in a universe where powers other than capital G God exist, will small g gods and godesses be able to field Champions, or do they get Emissaries of Power?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:52:30 PM »
What's the line between True Believer and Champion of God?

Champs get a few extra powers & responsibilities.  It's an intentionally fuzzy line.

And in a universe where powers other than capital G God exist, will small g gods and godesses be able to field Champions, or do they get Emissaries of Power?

That's the role the EoP template fills.
Fred Hicks

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 12:28:01 AM »
Iago, this list is pure awesome sauce...  ;D

Question: What is the difference between
Focused Practitioner
Minor Talent
Sorcerer
True Believer &
Wizard
???

Also, with the flexibility you illustrated for Emissary of Power, I Wonder about how else you can deal with outlier character types.
Important to note: I would never actually play a character like this, I'm just using it as an exaple to find out how flexible the DFRPG will be.

Let's say I want to play a character like Silent Bob. Let's just say. I'd like his concept to be that through sheer obsession he developed his own powers (No pacts, no spellbooks, no nothing). How would I build this character?

The answer to question 2 is probably the answer to question 1.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »
From the books, a wizard is a magic practitioner with both power and talent. Sorcerers just have raw destructive power, but with no skill to do other things.

I am guessing that a minor talent is someone with little magic but some flexibility.

My guess is that a focused practitioner is like Mort, a one trick pony.

True believers are probably like Father Forthill. Their faith doesn't give them huge powers, but they always seem to be protected and they might have other things going for them.

How close am I?  (:

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »
Still, eating its own body-weight in raw flesh every day, or something?  Yiiigh, not a PC I want to spend time around!
That's why you play a ghoul who's a vegan. :D
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.