Author Topic: what playable stuff are you hoping for?  (Read 58942 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2009, 05:56:21 AM »
With all spellcasting, there's a skills component -- focusing on boosting those skills really high and then marrying them to a very narrow, focused spell talent, would get you the end result you're talking about.

Mortimer Lindquist is actually a great example of this -- as a ectomancer, he's a bit narrow in what he can do, but he can do that stuff *really* well (once he gets his belief in his magic back).  Narrower powers, spiked skills -- that's how you get it.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
I was thinking about Fred's last post as I was falling asleep last night, and I got what I think might be a pretty cool character idea. The idea is the child of the angel of storms (which Google reveals to be Zakkiel). The character would have some intense but very focused magic which dealt only with the components of storms -- so gale force winds, lightning, rain, etc. Then perhaps toss on a minor power or two related to being the child of an angel.

I'm thinking something between an emissary of power and a focused practitioner.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
I was thinking about Fred's last post as I was falling asleep last night, and I got what I think might be a pretty cool character idea. The idea is the child of the angel of storms (which Google reveals to be Zakkiel). The character would have some intense but very focused magic which dealt only with the components of storms -- so gale force winds, lightning, rain, etc. Then perhaps toss on a minor power or two related to being the child of an angel.

I'm thinking something between an emissary of power and a focused practitioner.
Sounds good to me, there might be something of the Changeling template in there as well (such as supernatural resilience or physical immunity to electricity). Could you please post your Nephilim template when you're done.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Sounds good to me, there might be something of the Changeling template in there as well (such as supernatural resilience or physical immunity to electricity). Could you please post your Nephilim template when you're done.

Once the game comes out, if there's nothing like a Nephilim template, I'd gladly write up an unofficial template for them. I found a huge list of different angels to use as inspiration for examples.

I imagine that most of the powers would be things like highly focused magic and -- as you mention -- things like resistance to effects within their parent's purview. The baseline would likely be pretty low on the Refresh cost ladder, but it could potentially get up pretty high depending on how many generations the angelic blood had to be thinned out and the power of the parent. The direct child of an archangel, for example, would likely be potentially quite powerful and high in Refresh cost.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »
The Asgardian types could be interesting as well, such as Gard in the books. All sorts of old gods and half-gods could be lying around. The devas are another possibility for supernatural types, and djinn.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »

Hmm, I've had a 'scion of an angel' idea myself for a while.  Changeling would definitely be the starting point for that; the more power they accept the further from human they go till they fully "wing up" and go NPC.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »
I was on your site today looking for the scion of power you mentioned and couldn't find it. Is this going to be posted any time soon? Also can one player have multiple templates, for example could you play a minor talent who becomes a emissary of power.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2009, 12:48:36 AM »
I was on your site today looking for the scion of power you mentioned and couldn't find it. Is this going to be posted any time soon? Also can one player have multiple templates, for example could you play a minor talent who becomes a emissary of power.

Already posted (back in January 2009).

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2009/01/19/emissary/

And, yes.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:04 AM »
No I was looking for the scion of power you mentioned in a earlier post, someone like Kincaid or that half jinn guy.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2009, 01:29:59 AM »
No I was looking for the scion of power you mentioned in a earlier post, someone like Kincaid or that half jinn guy.

Ah, yes. We don't have that online; what I (should have) said before was that we're thinking about adding a template for it, though it's not functionally much different from an Emissary of Power. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2009, 02:04:44 AM »
Will there be ritual magic in the rpg, by this I'm not referencing thaumaturgy  but rather the rituals referenced in blood rites.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:11 AM »
Will there be ritual magic in the rpg, by this I'm not referencing thaumaturgy  but rather the rituals referenced in blood rites.

They'll be handled by the same system, essentially; we do cover it (the magic chapter in its current form is HUGE).
Fred Hicks

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
In the books if you touch a denarian coin but choose not to take it up  there is still a mystical effect on you. How will this be covered in the game? Could you play an emmisary of power that is empowered by the shadow of the denarian like Harry with his access to hellfire? How would such a shadow effect a mortal or lesser spellcaster?

Also what are the descendants of a changeling like? Could I for example make a minor talent with glamour or another fae power? Could I play the grandchild of one of the siddhe who has the sight and seelie magic using the focussed practitioner template?

In the books wizards live for a long time, is this covered in the rpg? If it is covered is it limited to wizards or can the lesser spellcasters gain a longer than human life span as well?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
In the books if you touch a denarian coin but choose not to take it up  there is still a mystical effect on you. How will this be covered in the game? Could you play an emmisary of power that is empowered by the shadow of the denarian like Harry with his access to hellfire? How would such a shadow effect a mortal or lesser spellcaster?

We at least touch on it. Fallen Angels don't come with an operator's manual, so it's sort of hard to say what might come of it.  We give the GM plenty of tools as a way in which she COULD implement the effects.

Also what are the descendants of a changeling like? Could I for example make a minor talent with glamour or another fae power? Could I play the grandchild of one of the siddhe who has the sight and seelie magic using the focussed practitioner template?

Sure, why not!

In the books wizards live for a long time, is this covered in the rpg? If it is covered is it limited to wizards or can the lesser spellcasters gain a longer than human life span as well?

In the RPG we offer a (zero point) power for wizards to represent this, but really, it's the sort of thing that could be added to any template where long life is an expectation. But long life doesn't really play out in a conflict-relevant way in an RPG -- it's sort of a boring power, right? -- so we don't make a big deal of it.
Fred Hicks

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
In the minor talent template it says that you can take one refresh 1 or 2 supernatural power. What kind of things are possible with refresh 1 or 2 powers?