Author Topic: what playable stuff are you hoping for?  (Read 58581 times)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
What playable stuff -- other than wizards -- are you hoping gets mechanical support in the DFRPG? That is, what sorts of things would you like to see get robust selections of Stunts and such?

I'd like to see stuff to support non-wizard level magic practitioners. I like those one trick ponies who, none the less, possess potentially useful abilities. We've seen an ectomancer, a precog, and of course the Alphas.

How about you?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
We'll provide support non-wizard practitioners, werewolves, white court vampires and virgins, red court infecteds (like
(click to show/hide)
), lesser faeries, soldiers of God, plain jane mortals, and probably some other stuff I haven't thought of.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
We'll provide ... virgins,

Well, if this isn't a full service game, then I don't know what is.  :P

I'm really interested in more beings like Kincaid or Glau.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
We'll provide support non-wizard practitioners, werewolves, white court vampires and virgins, red court infecteds (like
(click to show/hide)
), lesser faeries, soldiers of God, plain jane mortals, and probably some other stuff I haven't thought of.

When you say lesser faeries, I assume you're talking about ones like those hanging around the Queens and Ladies?

Presumably,  you left out full members of the Red Court and Black Court vampires because their refresh would be at or below 0. Are you planning on having appropriate Stunts and such to fully deck out NPCs?

Well, if this isn't a full service game, then I don't know what is.  :P

No kidding, man. That's customer service I can get behind!

I'm really interested in more beings like Kincaid or Glau.

That would be very good. Even if I might not want to have them as PCs, it'd be nice to be able to stat them out with appropriate Stunts.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »
Kincaid and Glau are classed under "Scions of Power", essentially halfbreeds (of which Changelings are a type), and will be playable as well, yes.

And yes, ability blocks for NPC type monsters will be part of the mix.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
I think I'm most interested in the seeing the Knights of the Cross.  I have to wonder how "Guided by God" works, you know?  And how 'powerful' is that considered? :)

I'd be curious to see the gruffs statted out too.

So on that topic... any chance of seeing a table of contents before release? :) Although... I feel somehow like we've seen/heard something like that before.  I'm just curious about layout and such... we know there will be running a game and character creation, as well as location related stuff... will there be a section on organizations, and/or one on "Monsters", perhaps?  Maybe this is a question for a different post, but it's kind of on topic... right? ;)
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:13:44 PM »
So on that topic... any chance of seeing a table of contents before release? :) Although... I feel somehow like we've seen/heard something like that before.  I'm just curious about layout and such... we know there will be running a game and character creation, as well as location related stuff... will there be a section on organizations, and/or one on "Monsters", perhaps?  Maybe this is a question for a different post, but it's kind of on topic... right? ;)

Things are too much in flux right now to provide that, but when we're much closer to release, I can probably be convinced.  I think our outline has something like 17 chapters in it, all of which are in varying states of written-ness.
Fred Hicks

Offline anthro7

• Participant
  • thrives on praise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »
Kincaid and Glau are classed under "Scions of Power", essentially halfbreeds (of which Changelings are a type), and will be playable as well, yes.

Beg pardon, who is Glau and what book is he/she/it from? I can't seem to bring that name to mind...

Separate note:

Will there be subsequently released material concerning things like location and spells? Obviously there's probably going to be a fair handful in an initial release, but... Advanced D & D style, I guess is what I mean. (I'm rather interested in potential settings, since I'm nowhere near Chicago and know only what I've read in Dresden about it.)
I have a signature, it looks like a star... but you can't see it. Harharhar.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »
Glau was Madrigal's lawyer in Proen Guilty. Half human, half djinn.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:25 AM »
On the note of locations, they have said that there will be a write-up on Chicago, but that the main thrust (if I understand correctly) will be Baltimore.  That's because Baltimore is an old city with lots of history, including some very strange things in the area.  It helps that the Evil Hat crew are from here too.

The Chicago/Baltimore balance may shift as they lean the book more towards a fan guide as well, but we'll see.

All of that said, there will also be a section devoted to using your own favorite locale.  There are also many books out there already that help (look up "Weird <State Name>") on Amazon.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
So, are you saying that the RPG is already designed so I can gleefully play a rip off of Silent Bob from Dogma as a character with an aspect called, "Instrument of God"?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline anthro7

• Participant
  • thrives on praise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »
Glau was Madrigal's lawyer in Proen Guilty. Half human, half djinn.

Ah, thank you. Proven Guilty was the first Dresden book I ever read, so it's been a while since I'd looked at it. ~_~ On that note, I didn't put two and two together and realize Madrigal was in Proven Guilty as well as stirring up trouble within the white court iiiiiin... White Night? Perhaps I shall have to find a summary of PG somewhere to refresh myself... (I'd just reread it, but, I've got a pile of hardbacks from my birthday sitting here, waiting to be read.)

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I have a signature, it looks like a star... but you can't see it. Harharhar.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:32 AM »

And yes, ability blocks for NPC type monsters will be part of the mix.

That, good sir, is awesome. Totally awesome.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
On the note of locations, they have said that there will be a write-up on Chicago, but that the main thrust (if I understand correctly) will be Baltimore.

If by "main thrust" you mean we'll have a single chapter on Baltimore that includes some adventures and campaign starters, yes.

That said, I expect the Chicago material -- especially in terms of the extensive "who's who" that we're planning for it -- will dwarf the Baltimore stuff.

All of that said, there will also be a section devoted to using your own favorite locale.  There are also many books out there already that help (look up "Weird <State Name>") on Amazon.

Yep.  We have a city creation chapter an' everything.
Fred Hicks

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »

Ooh, I like the sound of that: WoD's Mage: The Awakening devotes a whole book to the Boston, MA area (including the better part of a chapter for Salem), and I'm looking forward to seeing something like this done for the Dresden-verse. I can see myself planning a lot of campaigns that have something to do with Salem: you can't swing a wand in that town without hitting something with a spooky story attached to it