Author Topic: Tools of the trade?  (Read 8014 times)

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
Tools of the trade?
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:12 PM »
Are there any good, and by that I mean cheap and functional, software packages for writers?

How about voice recognition software?

Any other ideas for tools of the trade (other than drugs legal or otherwise) that can be of help for the struggling author.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Tools of the trade?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
Are there any good, and by that I mean cheap and functional, software packages for writers?

How about voice recognition software?

Any other ideas for tools of the trade (other than drugs legal or otherwise) that can be of help for the struggling author.

Depends on if you have a Mac or PC.  I'm going to guess PC, since most people have that.  I've heard a lot of people use yWriter, and as far as I'm aware, it's shareware, so you don't have to pay for it.  If you do happen to have a Mac, look for Jer's Novel Writer program.  Or you could always stick with Word.  Really, it mostly depends on how you write.

From the little I've read about voice recognition software, I'd stay away from it.  You have to basically teach it to understand you, which I would think would take quite a bit of time.  Especially if you have an accent.  But I could be wrong, since I've never actually used any.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »
I use Word. It works for me and I don't see any reason to change.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »
I don't have a current copy of Writer's Market, but from what I recall, those markets that did accept submissions in electronic format wanted them in MS Word, or Word compatible files.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
someone in my novel group recommended a book, "Self Editing for Fiction Writers"  http://www.amazon.com/Self-Editing-Fiction-Writers-Second-Yourself/dp/0060545690/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212078140&sr=1-1

It's great.  It is set up in workshop style with lots of examples.  Keeps your mind focused as you work through that 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th (does it ever stop) drafts of your work.  I really would recommend it as a helpful tool.  Best part--after you've 'worked' your way through it, mark the question/hint area of each chapter to review as you edit and KEEP you focused. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
For writing text in, emacs is your friend.

wrt voice-recognition software; what I have seen of it is not yet good enough at unambigously making sense of words that it would be productive rather than just frustrating to  use.  Also, if you do want to play around with them, it makes a huge difference to get one that's been trained on accents fairly similar to your own; certainly, I've seen European-based voice recognition software fail drastically on some US accents, and heard of the same happening the other way around.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
I mumble too much for voice recognicion.

As I speak (and write in) two languages and mix them up a lot, my friend is an offline electronic dictionary (Langenscheidts Handwörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch Version 2.1 is the particular program).
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 05:53:30 AM »
I can't see voice recognizing software being useful for fantasy or Sci-fi writers. I can just see Patrick Rothfuss using it and getting pissed every time it wrote "Quote" instead of "Kvothe."

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
Open Office does everything I need.
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »
I played with Naturally Speaking for this very reason, and despite being a very good voice recognistion software, it just didn't gain anything for my writing.  The training of the thing wasn't that bad, i was up and running in 5-10 minutes.  But the problem was that I had to retrain it practically from scratch every time I booted the thing up.  turns out my speaking voice just isnt monotone enough for it. 

The other problem with the voice software is that it is hopeless for punctuation.  So you end up either having to go back through and figure out where teh sentences end, or else enunciate every punctuation mark you want to use, which breaks my writing rhythm even more than typing would.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Naturally Speaking is the one used at my university.
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »

Have you used it?  Was it successful? satisfying?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »
Have you used it?  Was it successful? satisfying?
I didn't use it, sorry.  They get it on a multi-user permit for people who can't see, can't write, et cetera.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:55:42 AM »
I use it,

The biggest advantage is that it takes me from 15 WPM (hunt and peck method) to 125+ WPM. Also the software is selective enough to "Not" type when my wife is speaking, allowing comments from her as I "write".

The biggest disadvantage is that The software is not self aware, and will put in what the algorithm "Thinks" you said. Our most famous is where I was writing an article on Steam Engine design, and I said "Springs and levers" The software wrote "Friends and lovers" (secret railroader in-speak?)

The software allows me to get the story down "on paper" and edits are absolutely needed. For me the hardest part is getting the first draft completed, and the software helps tremendously. Also of note is that manual inputs are still recorded while you are speaking, so line breaks and punctuation can be inserted as you record.

I know that both David Weber and John Ringo use voice recognition software, and that it allows them to greatly increase their production.

Regards,
Kevin

Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?