Author Topic: Any thoughts on planning out a paranormal mystery?  (Read 6310 times)

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on planning out a paranormal mystery?
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:37:25 AM »
I'm 20 pages into my new script. It's a paranormal detective story..and I've just realized that I'm getting way too much influence from Dresden.

Does anyone have any thoughts on planning out a paranormal mystery? Or hell..any type of mystery for that matter. 'cause I keep hitting wall after wall with this one.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on planning out a paranormal mystery?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »
How paranormal?
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Roaram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
read other mystery novels. or true crime.  but if you find yourself copying dresden, try writing with no humor. like none. might change your tone to something less .... pithy? think punsher, not spiderman. check out tammara silver jones, she has excellnt fantasy mysteries. and I have always thought thata a less tongue and cheak approach to urban fantasy might be cool. (i know, a lot of dresdan kids in here, no offense intended) mr butcher does humor well, but not every book needs to be funny, and not every hero needs to be a smart alec

comprex

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

Change paranormal rulebooks.    Step away from Dresdenverse or Buffyverse or Muggleverse definitions of what a ghost/spirit/magic/vampire is.

Read some folk tales. 

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:09:47 AM »
Is the protagonist a psychic? A wizard/sorceror? Someone who just attracts the paranormal? A vanilla human who found out about how the world really is?
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Hell's Belle

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:38:06 AM »
It's going to be tough. If you look on the shelves at any bookstore, you'll see that everyone is cranking out paranormal mysteries now (likely in an effort to ride JB's coattales- as if!).  If you're sticking with the genre, you're going to have to do something nobody has tried yet...and you're going to have to do it very well.

Good luck!
Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.
-Solomon Short

Offline bookivore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:41 AM »
I'm 20 pages into my new script. It's a paranormal detective story..and I've just realized that I'm getting way too much influence from Dresden.

Does anyone have any thoughts on planning out a paranormal mystery? Or hell..any type of mystery for that matter. 'cause I keep hitting wall after wall with this one.

Your main character (detective or sidekick) needs to be able to observe everything relevant to the mystery, but keep his thinking to himself so he can surprise the reader.  Harry does that by being a pain and sometimes leaving out relevant bits when giving directions to other characters, etc. (Like, 'So I placed a phone call and got things arranged' without actually saying what the heck he's arranging).

Sometimes it's easier to use a sidekick who doesn't actually figure out what's going on until the detective explains it.

Your suspects all need decent, visible reasons to want the dead guy dead (or whatever the mystery is), and access / ability to use the murder weapon, and so on.  In a mystery you're not just plotting for the hero and the antagonist but for the other however many suspects.  If you give them all reasons to mess with the detective aside from wanting to be cleared of suspicion, so they can keep on messing with him.