Author Topic: For Christian readers or any interested...  (Read 12995 times)

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
Re: For Christian readers or any interested...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »
Mal--you should probably find and watch a copy of the movie Miracles with Tom Conti and Terri Garr.  Best religious movie ever made.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
well, since I don't feel the fear of idea phishing...lol, here's a small summary, a college kid, who was raised a christian is given the job to be a "squire" for one of the archangels, much like in the dresdenverse, things go south pretty soon. the kid and his roommate have to battle evil in an "unseen" battle of good and evil that the average world is all but oblivious to. Deaths occur, love is found, and a couple of demons a sizzled by bolts of electrity. lol, just a good romp with heroes that are working for a "higher" power, not that they themselves are any better than the rest. In fact, in many instances, their is a battle in one of the main characters about some "sinful" activities...lol. so, I'm trying to keep it,......fun,....i guess i'd have to say. I'm trying my best not to have one big copy of the bible..lol.

I'm not religious either, but this sounds like a really fun idea that I'd definitely pick up at the bookstore. I love epic stuff. :)
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Lady Knight Ignus

• Participant
  • Does anyone else hear ... strings?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:03 AM »
I'm saying like a person (much like Michael) are using their faith instead of magic to do things. ex. throw fire, teleport, yada yada, etc. lol. The story would lean heavily toward the age-old Good vs. Evil storylines. The only thing different would be more angels, demons, biblical references. I kno this might not appeal to all religions, but I promise it would in no way openly make fun of any other religion.

I'd love to read something like that!  Like Wolfshadow, I am a committed Christian and a lover of fantasy and see no conflict between being those two things at the same time.  A fun related story... You know those essays you have to write for college applications?  In 2000, when I was applying to the Christian college that I ended up attending, one of the essay questions on the application was to write about a book (other than the Bible) that had changed your life in a really significant, really good way.  I wrote on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  I bet the day my app came in was an atypical day in the admissions office, especially back then! :) They let me in anyway, obviously.  My alma mater has been pro-Harry Potter from the start, though.  As they should be! :D

About books... I read and liked Shadowmancer by GP Taylor.  I think he pulled off the fantasy/Christian worldview thing reasonably well in Shadowmancer, but it's the only book of his that I've read.  I haven't read much recently published "Christian fiction" in the last couple years, so I can't really give an opinion of what I think of it in general.  Most of the Christian fiction that I see other people reading falls under the category of Christian romance novels, which is a genre that I've never felt a desire to explore.  Same goes for romance novels in general.  They're just not my thing.

Opinions on other notable Christian authors who have written stuff that could potentially be called SF or fantasy... I enjoy Frank Peretti sometimes.  I like some of his YA/kids' books, like Hangman's Curse and the Cooper kids adventure series.  His books for adults, not so much.  Regarding a famous author tandem that shall not be named... to say that I am not a fan of the Left Behind books would be a gross understatement.  I made the mistake of reading the first couple volumes in high school because some friends recommended them.  Didn't like the books.  The writing and character development leave much to be desired.  Plus, the authors go into dangerous territory theologically with their fictional interpretation of Biblical apocalyptic references and are irresponsible about it.  That's my opinion, at any rate. 

Malaki - I hope the writing process is going well and that you're having a lot of fun with it!  Please keep us posted on your progress with the book! ;)
"So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"
"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 01:39:59 AM »
wow, you guys are real great at encouraging somebody! I love the comments posted, thanks lots. Spread the word so I can get some more opinions! You guys are a GREAT help!!! ;D
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Offline Valorclast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 02:15:37 AM »
I am a Christian and have always been disappointed with the scifi/fantasy section in the Christian bookstores. They basically don't exist. You're little blurb up there sounded real interesting. Over on the RPG, Tagnizkur and I have characters  that I may eventually write into a book. Basically, they are imbued with angelic power to battle evil in the world.

Speaking of Tag, please keep him in your prayers. His wife is having pregnancy complications and they might have to deliver their little one early. The baby would be 33weeks and go straight to the NICU. Tag is an incredible man, I hope the Lord strengthens him right now.

But yes, a novel like yours would certainly find an audience.

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing.
Holding on to what I'm feeling,
Savoring this heart that's healing.

~~~
Valorclast of the Blackthorne's

Offline Sorryman105

• Posty McPostington
  • Come into the dungeon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 02:20:25 AM »
Malakai you might wanna try the writer forums, they seem to be a big help to a lot of folks.
Forevermore we shall giggle and snicker in our rightful place, this place, OUR BAR!

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 02:39:41 AM »
Lol, didn't even think about that...haha thanks
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 03:10:09 AM »
First and foremost, it would have to be a good story, and well written. Fantasy and scifi books with themes related to Christianity that I've read and enjoyed are C.S. Lewis' Perelandra Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia.
I've also read some horrible dreck, whose sole purpose seemed to be to preach Bible Fundamentalism to the reader in the guise of a fictional character. The worst I can think of offhand is Sherlock Holmes In Dallas, where not only is the fictional Victorian era detective called in to solve the conspiracy behind the Kennedy assassination (!!!), but also spends long paragraphs preaching to Dr. Watson on the nature of sin and the teachings of Jesus.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Want me to move this thread to the Author Craft forum, Malakai?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »
To be honest, there's a lot about TDF that's fairly heavily Judeo-Christian, not to mention that Harry himself seems to be getting set up as a Messianic figure (especially if we consider that Jesus wasn't perfect and had his "moments").

Still, while I'm pretty securely in a Harryesque "theological Switzerland", I think the idea of the holy wizard is interesting - with faith magic linked to arcane magic, that opens up a lot of doors. Mystic theurge, anyone? :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
First and foremost, it would have to be a good story, and well written. Fantasy and scifi books with themes related to Christianity that I've read and enjoyed are C.S. Lewis' Perelandra Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia.

My first thought was also of CS Lewis' Perelandra Trilogy.  (I wasn't a fan of Narnia, even as a child) I haven't read it for years (and literally I mean YEARS) but I thought it was brilliant. I suspect they have held up well, although for some reason I still remember the bit where they land and realize there was a hard surface road that might very well allow vehicles to go 100 MILES/HR! Still I bet it does hold up really well. Lewis really was/is incredible.

The problem is, we can't all be CS Lewis' and that's where it becomes a fine line between "religious overtones or religious themes" to religious dogma.  Since you aren't interested in marketing it, go for it.  If you really would like to use sci fi as a background to further a religious attitude--you might try accessing the 2008 Writer's Market.  As I read through listings there did seem to be several publishers that were seeking religious themed novels.  You could get the names and then access their websites for submission details. 

Bottom line though is having a good story.  Truthfully, all the sci fi books I read, carry forward the religious themes that I believe in.  Good is good--whether a demon or a human, if they act that way.  Struggles against temptation are always interesting.  Besides once you really get rolling you might find that the characters and plot take you other directions, just as interesting to pursue.  If you are thinking about riding the age curve as Narnia movie fans grow up, you might find some special nitch that is perfect for you.

Good luck!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Want me to move this thread to the Author Craft forum, Malakai?

Yes plz Priscellie, thanks! Didn't realize I'd get as this many replies!

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
1. small advice to the Malakai: the frequency you say "lol" is a bit annoying to me, especially becasue what you write is interesting otherwise.

2. I am not a christian, and I would never read a novel if it comes across as dogma, regardless of religious background. now, if the setting is solely based on christian background and powers come from the christian god, I'd have no problem reading it, just as other fantasy explain powers otherwise. In fact, as christian religion is a real world belief, a well executed take on someone with religiously motivated powers could be rather interesting.

Actually, I think Dresden Files is a pro-christian series as well. Michael and Father Forthill are covered not only in a respectful and positive way, but Dresden's struggle with fatih comes across like someone searching for (the christian) god.
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »
1. small advice to the Malakai: the frequency you say "lol" is a bit annoying to me, especially becasue what you write is interesting otherwise.

What does that have to do with anything?

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
What does that have to do with anything?

I find it very irritating and I like to point people out when they do stuff that detracts from otherwise OK things. just like people with a huge amount of spelling mistakes that make posts unreadable. If someone puts smileys or lols everywhere, the real smiles don't come across anymore, IMO. It was just a small advice which noone has to follow.
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.