Author Topic: is this idea worth a try?  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
is this idea worth a try?
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
After re-watching Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, I was again thinking of doing some urban fantasy story in my hometown. Now, our subway system neither has the history nor the cool names of the London one and I don't want to copy Gaiman's work, so I thought about a tourism trail through the inner city that we have.

So... there are something like 30 stops there - 30 fantasy enriched short stories about the places (note that some are rather weird in the first place) that are somewhat interconnected into a bigger story?

Funny thing is that I have recently applied for a part time job as a tourist guide  ;D 
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: is this idea worth a try?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
That seems like a really cool idea to me.
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
Sounds like something I am interested in reading.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:02:51 PM »
Hum, stories from a web of worlds.  I would read that.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
Go for it. All you could lose is some sleep and a little paper.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
Go for it. All you could lose is some sleep and a little paper.

and I'd have to buy that tourism guide about that trail.  ;)
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 04:46:03 AM »
The wrap around story could be about a new tour guide who, during training, finds out what is really going on.  ;D
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »
The wrap around story could be about a new tour guide who, during training, finds out what is really going on.  ;D

I was thinking more along the lines of someone new to the city who buys the normal guide to check out the sites and then finds out that there's more to it.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:52:50 AM »
love it myself, but I'm hooked on ghost tours (Plymouth's was outstanding) and the Harry Potter tour in London.  Anything like that and I'd go for it. 

I like the flexibility it would give you as well to tie in unrelated stories into a single book.  Plus one that tends to tie them all together maybe. 

Let us know how it goes?  Where do you live anyway?  Good history you can pull in as well?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
Good history you can pull in as well?

The city is 1200 years old, used to be its own kingdom, and has some famous people who were born there or lieved there. Also,
cannibals, bombed out churches, tunnels, and this:

muhahaha.
(if you don't see it - take a closer look at the steeple)

Offline blackwolf

• Posty McPostington
  • Wolf Guard to the GREAT SHE Priscellie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »
Is that an X in a circle or a pentagram
EVER RUNNING THROUGH THE NIGHT , HUNTING THOSE WHO DO BETRAY, I HUNT ALONE WITH DEATHS MIGHT , BLOOD LUST IS THE ONLY WAY, FOR THIS IS MY FATE

Every Warrior's dream is that he is Never Needed.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »
ahh, I see.  I thought it was my age and couldn't see anything on the spire.

The pentagram has a great deal of traditional positive christian history.  In fact, the church I attend when visiting Phoenix area is a Lutheran Church that was BUILT as a pentagram, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, himsef.  :-)   Ill try to find some photos of it for you.

Darn, it won't attach.  here is at photobucket.com  If you look closely you'll find three pentagrams within the one..

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/meg_evonne/public%20access/Dove_window1.jpg

okay, last try.  You need to click on below and then look at the calendar months of Feb and Oct.  Oct has the great photo of the Cross (Sword) of Light described below..

http://share.escrip.shutterfly.com/action/project/0AbN2blq2cN2Lt4/landing

Still working on the website...
If you look closely at the Cross of Light (continues as the spire out the top of the church)  It has the appearance of a Light Sword made up of a repeating pattern of pentagrams.  The sanctuary is pentagram, as is the front of the church. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:06:33 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »
The city is 1200 years old, used to be its own kingdom, and has some famous people who were born there or lieved there. Also,
cannibals, bombed out churches, tunnels, and this:

muhahaha.
(if you don't see it - take a closer look at the steeple)

Why can't the US have anything 1200 years old?  Besides the landscape.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Oh, the idea sounds cool, btw. 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »
Why can't the US have anything 1200 years old?  Besides the landscape.

Don't you have oldish pueblos? Besides, it ain't that special once you lived your whole life around old stuff. E.g. some Americans say that 100 year old houses are old. I live in a 100 year old appartment and it's a shoddy working class building which is impossible to heat, has no AC and has incredibly thin walls.