Author Topic: Copyrights  (Read 5824 times)

Offline GnosisRoads

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Copyrights
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
How long should copyrights last? In the US it last author's life plus 70 years. That seems fairly excessive to me. Why do authors need such a high incentive to write? A period between 20-40 years would seem sufficient to give author's the incentive to write yet increase the public domain rapidly, which is why we have intellectual property rights in the first place.

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Copyrights
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »
How long should copyrights last? In the US it last author's life plus 70 years. That seems fairly excessive to me. Why do authors need such a high incentive to write? A period between 20-40 years would seem sufficient to give author's the incentive to write yet increase the public domain rapidly, which is why we have intellectual property rights in the first place.

I think the interested party would be more the publisher than the author, for whom 30 years might indeed be OK (unless he has lazy heirs).
hm, according to wiki, my country also has the life +70 years rule.
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline GnosisRoads

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »
In the US it seems like copyrights get extended whenever Mickey Mouse is about to enter the public domain. That given how much profits it has pulled from public domain material like Cinderella, Sleeping Beuty, and other fairy tails.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »

Author's life plus long enough to support any kids left behind when an author dies through to the point where they can support themselves, IMO; I'd call that twenty years.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
In the US it seems like copyrights get extended whenever Mickey Mouse is about to enter the public domain.

Too true.  I'd say author's life +30-40, but I don't really care as long as they just pick something and stick to it.

comprex

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
In the US it seems like copyrights get extended whenever Mickey Mouse is about to enter the public domain. That given how much profits it has pulled from public domain material like Cinderella, Sleeping Beuty, and other fairy tails.

http://www.culturaleconomics.atfreeweb.com/Myth.htm

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
The web site Techdirt, has an ongoing series of posts about Intelectual Property and has lots of suggestions on how thigs should change, and where things have gone wrong. It really pretty interesting.

http://www.techdirt.com/
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]