Author Topic: Ethical Question  (Read 12005 times)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ethical Question
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »
Some books that have inspired murder on a large scale: The Holy Bible, The Koran, The Thoughts of Chairman Mao, Mein Kampf.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
Dude! Way to put God on a guilt trip! Points for Yeratel!  ;) :D
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 05:11:48 PM »
"That said, I can entirely sympathise with deliberately making the recipes for explosives in Fight Club (the movie) wrong so that nobody playing with them would blow anyone up."

The soap recipie works, though.

*looks innocent*
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
"That said, I can entirely sympathise with deliberately making the recipes for explosives in Fight Club (the movie) wrong so that nobody playing with them would blow anyone up."

*looks innocent*
Heh! You are not the only one who's ever read something in a novel and thought, "I wonder if that would really work? Let's see what I've got in the kitchen cabinets. . . "
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »

*looks innocent*

Well, yes, but isn't making soap one of those things most people do in the chemistry part of high-school science classes anyway ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Mister Mxyzptlk

• Participant
  • Tap... Tap... Is this thing on? Hello...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
Well, yes, but isn't making soap one of those things most people do in the chemistry part of high-school science classes anyway ?

Play with sodium lye?  In a classroom?  In the 21st century?  Egad, dont you know that's dangerous? 

Naw, these days chem class is all about being danger free. 
I seem to be trapped somehow...

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »

*looks innocent*

And thus the new found knowledge that Mickey's been out trying all the recipes?  :-)

As to safety in Chem Labs---don't they all still have the little gas spigots?  I mean who hasn't thought about moving the bunsen burner a little to the left....   Nah, my self preservation instincts always stopped me in time.

Edited: as usual I got busy reading the replies and forgot the reason to post.  I'm not into writing terrorist books etc, but I do have one killer idea that someone should write about.  It's up for grabs....

Someone poisons the glue you lick on the back of stamps.  Do it fast, As a matter of fact, do they even make stamps that way anymore????  Probably because someone else thought it an unwise practice..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:20:33 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
Edited: as usual I got busy reading the replies and forgot the reason to post.  I'm not into writing terrorist books etc, but I do have one killer idea that someone should write about.  It's up for grabs....

Someone poisons the glue you lick on the back of stamps.  Do it fast, As a matter of fact, do they even make stamps that way anymore????  Probably because someone else thought it an unwise practice..
I haven't seen any USPS lickable stamps for quite a while. In The Name Of The Rose, the murderer put poison on the upper right corner of book pages, so when the reader absent mindedly licked a fingertip to turn the pages, they'd eventually get a fatal dose.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »
If you know where to look, you can find "how to" books on nearly everything -- including how to commit crimes. So, those people looking for ideas does not need to look to novels to inspire them.......

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Benchleyfan

• Participant
  • Now I have Spidey's theme song stuck in my head...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
I would be weirded out if my plot became a reality, but wouldn't feel responsible.  Or I hope I wouldn't.  The guilt would be on the person who did the actual deed.  Some much stuff gets blamed on any media (including the news) that defense lawyers seem to have an easier time of it.  I hope this made sense and was of some help.
A lot of people say: "I'm no good in the morning until I've had my coffee." I'm no good in the morning even after I've had my coffee.-Robert Benchley

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 11:30:01 PM »
I want to thank you all. You've echoed by basic belief. I'm going to put the idea I had away for now, but I plan to return to it someday. Thanks again. :)
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 03:31:41 AM »
I will give you one warning regarding working on books/stories about terrorists and the like.  It's pretty much for people living in the US...watch your research!

People have pretty much gone over the reasons not to feel guilty if someone uses your ideas, plus mentioned books like the Bible (I was going to make comments pretty much the same), but here's something else to worry about.  As I recall (could be wrong, it was over a year ago) it came from Rachel Caine's blog.

She had a friend who was writing a book involving unexploded landmines.  Said friend did a lot of online research, and also checked a lot of books out of the local library.  Hey, it makes sense...we all do research for our stories, right?

So what happened?  Well, to make a long story short, the person was raided by Homeland Security!  The sort of information they were accessing sent up red flags in someone's database, and they moved in seized all the research and computer equipment involved.  When they eventually got it back, it was apparently full of tracking devices/etc. (they took it to a friend to sweep for this stuff).

I'm pretty sure it was Rachel Caine's blog that led me to this story.  If it wasn't, my apologies to her.

Anyway, the moral of the story...be careful of what you research.  Your government may believe you have a much darker purpose in mind than writing a novel!

Keith

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »
Supposedly, the NSA has it's own little Web bots that go crawling through emails, Web pages and forums, like this one, looking for keywords like C-4, ammonium nitrate, Al Quaida, Bin Laden, assassinate, etc., and flagging them for Homeland Security.  :)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 05:22:30 AM »
Supposedly, the NSA has it's own little Web bots that go crawling through emails, Web pages and forums, like this one, looking for keywords like C-4, ammonium nitrate, Al Quaida, Bin Laden, assassinate, etc., and flagging them for Homeland Security.  :)

So as a gesture of civil disobedience we should all use them as much as possible or put them in our sigs or something.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

The Mrs Geek

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
Play with sodium lye?  In a classroom?  In the 21st century?  Egad, dont you know that's dangerous? 

Naw, these days chem class is all about being danger free. 

Until you get to Organic Chem were you get to play with things that will ignite with atmospheric moisture, like Benzoic Acid.  (Bear in mind I'm in Savannah, GA the must humid place EVER!)  That's right kiddies, the main ingredient in your zit cream when all by itself is highly flamable and explosive.