Author Topic: Submitting a series as a first.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Submitting a series as a first.
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
I wrote the first book of my Felicity Stone series (a YA Urban Fantasy series) and I've started on my second, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to submit this? I mean, essentially the book COULD stand alone, but is meant to be the first of a series, so I was wondering if I submit it and my plans for the next books, or should I just do the book, or should I submit the book plus the outline of the series and the first couple of chapters of the second?  I'm excited that I finished a book, and of the ones I've done, this is by far the longest, only at 250 pages, though. (50 more pages than my last attempted finished book.) It's weighing in at 50k works.

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Submitting a series as a first.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
I'd look up the submission guidelines of the publisher, but generally, you shouldn't send pages from the next book.  In your cover letter, mention that the book is the first in a series and that you are working on the second.  Good luck :)
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
I wrote the first book of my Felicity Stone series (a YA Urban Fantasy series) and I've started on my second, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to submit this? I mean, essentially the book COULD stand alone, but is meant to be the first of a series, so I was wondering if I submit it and my plans for the next books, or should I just do the book, or should I submit the book plus the outline of the series and the first couple of chapters of the second?  I'm excited that I finished a book, and of the ones I've done, this is by far the longest, only at 250 pages, though. (50 more pages than my last attempted finished book.) It's weighing in at 50k works.

My understanding is that what you do in this case is submission letter and however much of the manuscript the publisher wants, as per a standalone novel, plus mentioning in the letter that you have however many more stories in that setting you do actually have, and if you have written any of them to mention that; I get the impression that many publishers are interested in series, and many publishers are more likely to believe you are capable of reliably producing a series if you have already written more than one of them, and that pretty much all publishers care about knowing you can and will finish what you start.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:46:59 AM »
This advice is right on.  Focus your efforts on selling the first book, but do mention that you have plans for a series.  If an agent's interested, he or she will ask you for more details about subsequent books later--so definitely don't submit in-depth stuff for a bunch of books right away.  Just make that first sound as awesome as possible.  Good luck!
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com