Author Topic: Writing under a different name  (Read 7150 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Writing under a different name
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 05:01:26 PM »
I hate my name.

Mainly because there is at least one other Brandon within fifty feet of me, no matter where I go.  Growin up, in a town of 325 people, with a high school of 70 students total...there were at least three other Brandons I can remember off the top of my head.  And there were several more in grade school.

So, I write under B.L. Garver.  And otherwise, I insist on being called by my last name.  I'd prefer to stand aside from the usual rif-raf if at all possible. 

Probably a little arrogant of me, but what aspiring writer wants to blend in witht he crowd?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:41:07 PM »
If anything of mine were to see print, I'll almost certainly use a pen-name, because in my day-job I run two reasonably sized online bioinformatics databases, I've been in this line of work for several years, and anyone googling on my real name will be able to find out quite a bit more about me than I'm entirely happy making available to complete strangers.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:26 PM »
If anything of mine were to see print, I'll almost certainly use a pen-name, because in my day-job I run two reasonably sized online bioinformatics databases, I've been in this line of work for several years, and anyone googling on my real name will be able to find out quite a bit more about me than I'm entirely happy making available to complete strangers.

I have similar issues...  a google of my full name brings up a great deal of information about me, largely because I'm a research biologist.  I'm not sure I'd ever want the general public to be able to pull up my science publication history, linked to my work history and previous phone numbers, through google.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie