Author Topic: Cutting with a hatchet!  (Read 2939 times)

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Cutting with a hatchet!
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »
Sigh,
This perhaps should go in the angst corner, but it involves writing.

We have finished an entry in to a short story contest, (near future, space exploration stuff) Story came out about 16K words, contest size limit is 8K words.....
Cutting every other word sounds funny.... We are down to about 12K but are still swinging the hatchet. We have already scrutinized every word for it's ability to advance the story, trimmed interesting but nonessential plot lines, and are in the process of sweating down each paragraph to it' optimum size. Our biggest worry is squeezing the life out of the story, that is trying to keep a poblano chili from tasting like tofu. any ideas?

For those interested, the contest is here;
http://www.ralan.com/contests/listings/baenmem08.htm

Note; If we cant get a story that fits the first contest our backup is this one,
http://www.heinleinsociety.org/contest.html

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting with a hatchet!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:21 AM »
Now down to 8300 words....
does any one know what is standard for a word counter?
Kevin and Karen
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
Holy Jiminy!  :o I wouldn't have thought you could chop a story practically in half and still have it make sense.

If I remember from my typing class days, a "word" is standard 5 characters. Not sure if that helps you or not.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »
Manuscript, a word is five letters plus a space.  Courier new, right unjustified, double spaced, gives you I think about two hundred fifty words a page (with adjustments for any breaks/lines you skip).  But don't hold me to that.  Word probably counts every group of letters, so "a" is a word, but so is "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:55:02 AM by AverageGuy »
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »
I was told that editors, agents etc used the official microsoft word count as standard. 

Good for you for the axe, but I'd probably have said----no way and found another contest!  So more power to both of your for your determination!  I hope you win!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »
I was told that editors, agents etc used the official microsoft word count as standard. 
Some accept it.  But I don't know that it's standard at this point.  Check the submissions guidelines.

ETA: Looking at the link, it asks for an "approximate word count."  Normally that refers to the 250 words/page estimate with standard manuscript format.  If you use MSWord or another word counter, you might want to indicate that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:00:52 AM by AverageGuy »
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »
Well,
we got down to 7955 (Word processing program counter) or 7610 (Character count divided by 6) We did a lot of "he had" to he'd and sub plots died like flies. The real method was to impose a draconian does this word ,phrase, subplot advance the story? the revised story runs cleaner and faster, but we lost stuff we really liked along the way. the first contest is over in May, and the deadline for the second is in June. We will try to find a way to put the stories where you can see them after the results are in.
Regards,
Kevin and Karen

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Congrats, I will look forward to reading it!  Out of curiosity, did you feel the final result was better at the shorter amount? 

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 03:03:30 AM »
It is crisper and moves faster, but we had to lose some compelling description in the process. If we bounce at the 8,000 contest we can fallback to the 15,000 word contest that has a deadline a month after the first contest results are announced. Then we can add some things back in.
In related news I sent in my PM for the writing group, and there We will be able to post some of our works in process.
Regards,
Kevin

Happiness is having the spell checker say "No errors found"

Congrats, I will look forward to reading it!  Out of curiosity, did you feel the final result was better at the shorter amount? 

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
Be sure to double check for homophones. Spell checkers are notorious for missing those. If you spelled the wrong word write, it doesn't care.

(heh, yes, I did that on purpose.)
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D