Author Topic: Published Author On Board  (Read 149188 times)

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
Re: Published Author On Board
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
From the writing team of Pharoah and yours truly ... the online magazine Another Realm is publishing one of our short stories in March.  Our first publication.  Woohoo!

*does a SqueakyTiki dance for joy*
SqueakyTiki, goddess of rodents and other small furries

Offline AnthonyHJ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
I'm a videogame writer and lecturer on videogame narrative.  I have been called a transmedia artist, but my current skillset is more 'narrative designer' in all honesty.

My published works are a little eclectic - I'm a contributing writer on a few text-books for distance-learning courses and used by UK universities, technical writer on a few others, narrative designer on one published videogame (I was a writer, games designer and external writer liaison on that one), narrative designer on one more still waiting to be released, writer on two other unreleased games... 

Oh...  and my first novel (mercifully written under a pseudonym) was romance...  I was a teenage goth, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and then a small publisher got hold of it.

I am currently working on a short story for a steampunk compilation getting released in September while the studios are taking a break and there's little or no freelance writing work to be had, but I also have a novel that keeps stalling.  I keep meaning to get an agent, but I want to get a 'real' novel ready to do the rounds before I start bothering agencies.

I originally trained in the theatre, learning everything from lighting and carpentry to iambic pentameter and stage-combat.  I was a playwright, an actor, a director and stage-manager.  I have been an artistic director and I have been the guy sweeping the stage at the end of the show.  I was also stabbed in the nuts once when a sword-fight went wrong, but since I was the fight-director, that was probably my fault...

The greatest impediment to my writing is probably Harry Dresden; I keep reading when I should be writing, but I am about 80% of the way through Turn Coat and so I will soon be able to get some work done.

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
AnthonyHJ, you sound like my male counterpart. Which is kind of scary. Good luck on the novel.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
I've had a varied range of publishing experiences: scientist and researcher since 1986 and have published many original scientific articles reporting on my research, edited scientific books and authored chapters in scientific books; edited and authored articles in a newsletter for a volunteer organization I co-founded in 1988; published in the County newspaper in high school.

I really love writing and reading....but what I've never done, and would love to do, is write fiction...not sure I have the capacity for it...am thinking of writing about one of my special rescue dogs, Micro, rescued from a puppy mill (?Marley been there done that crosses my mind) and a fictionalized story based on some of the interesting people and experiences I've encountered (a la "House of God" by Samuel Shem, the novel upon which St. Elsewhere TV show is loosely based), or, perhaps, medical-science fiction (as they say, write what you know about...).  Anhoooo, maybe when I retire....
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:04 AM »
Pharaoh and I just had our first publication, a short story up at AnotherRealm.  I keep going back to the site and staring in disbelief ... it doesn't seem real!

Offline SuperflyMD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »
Pharaoh and I just had our first publication, a short story up at AnotherRealm.  I keep going back to the site and staring in disbelief ... it doesn't seem real!

Good work.  I enjoyed the read. 

How long was it between submission and acceptance?

SF
I've got two words for you: no.

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
They apparently gather a year's worth of submissions, then dole them out one at a time over the course of a year.  We were notified in December that we'd been accepted, and they put out a line up for the entire year at about the same time, so we could see our names and the title listed for March.  Then the anticipation began...

Didn't help that they didn't update the site until almost 7pm yesterday.  But, the story's there and CGL and I are pleased with our first publishing credit. 

As I've said before: Today the Internet, tomorrow the WORLD!!! (of print publishing)...
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Fun story. I liked it. Congratulations on getting it published.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
Completely agree!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
Bravi!  Bravi!  Congratulations on your publication!  (Although, I say:  What!  No illustration to go with it?  LOL)
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
LOL!  It's my fault, I've kept him too busy writing ;)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
Congrats CGL and Pharoah, way to go, - fun story - I hopped over and read it and enjoyed it.
Heartsonycgr - the dean of medical SciFi might be James White - his Sector General stories about a enormous
multi-species hospital in space.

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »
Many thanks for the compliments ya'll.  :)

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Heartsonycgr - the dean of medical SciFi might be James White - his Sector General stories about a enormous
multi-species hospital in space.

Thanks for the tip, SnowL!  I will search him out!  I knew a dog show judge by that name...naaaah...probably just a coincidence...

H
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »
Allo all :)

I'm actually in both threads for different categories, Author in Progress for the novels (curses upon thee, 72 hour work week and dodgy power/internet!) and here for a table-top RPG, of all things. Not sure if that counts, per se, but I am the writer and lead game developer (the latter against my will) for Dark Nova Games. The Dark Nova RPG comes out in May (debuting at Comicpalooza in Houston, where I'll be chained to a table next to our lead artist for the amusement of the rotten-vegetable-hurling public... kinda like the stocks for artists and authors), for which I wrote the entire setting, designed the races, most of the ships and vehicles, and wrote the four starter missions included in the main manual. Since I JUST got back CONUS and completed my last contract for a while, I have subsequently been chained to a laptop and ordered to work on the second book in the RPG series by my whip-cracking masters ..errr, bosses :D . There is no end to the torment, however, for upon completion of my work my family and friends take up their whips and demand that I finish the novels and submit them. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? :D
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "