Author Topic: Giving books away free - Gaiman online this month  (Read 3241 times)

Offline mountainsoul

• Conversationalist
  • #34. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.
    • View Profile
Giving books away free - Gaiman online this month
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
Evening all,
Wondering if anyone else here is aware of the free online copy of American Gods that is available this month?
It's over at the Harper Collins website at http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780060558123&WT.mc_id=author_AmerGods_FullAccess_022208 for this month only (I think it's just this month anyway).

Couple of things, for one, I'd recommend it! If you haven't tried any Gaiman it's a good way to try him for free; and also, what are people's views on free books. Aside from the not having to pay for things, do people think this could be good or bad for authors and readers. Gaiman says that he believes books have always been given freely and most people will buy other books or another copy of the one they've read for themselves, that's how I got into JB myself.
I can see how it can be a good way for writers to break through into the popular conciousness but does anyone think that for established authors to do this risks a reduction in the potential of people seeing writing as a valid life choice. The prospect of advert carrying free book sites with google-ads between every chapter might be good for the world of un-published authors but what of bookshops?
Admittedly most of these points are covered on Mr Gaiman's Blog, but what people's thoughts here?

I'll stick a link and the same question over on McAnally's as well but I'd like as many people's views as possible (and to get more people aware of it).
Comments please
Great things are done when men and mountains meet, these are not done on the jostling street - Blake.

Tarvek - "You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it."
Agatha - "If that's what you think then you're DOING IT WRONG!"

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Giving books away free - Gaiman online this month
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:34:45 AM »
Baen Books has a whole library of books that can be read online, or downloaded for free: http://www.baen.com/library/
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:56:47 AM »
There is also the Gutenburg project, with a really large FnSF section.
linky

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline mountainsoul

• Conversationalist
  • #34. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »
But what do you think of these sort of sites?

Is there a difference between new and old authors work being put up?

I find these sites very useful at work, especially on quiet shifts, and they've introduced me to some works I might not have read otherwise but do you think this will be beneficial to current authors.
Great things are done when men and mountains meet, these are not done on the jostling street - Blake.

Tarvek - "You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it."
Agatha - "If that's what you think then you're DOING IT WRONG!"

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
I think that it's a good way to draw readers into your books and build loyalty. I also know that Howard V. Hendrix, Science Fiction Writers of America big guy, disagrees what with the whole webscab controversy that happened a while back. The irony that it's a science fiction writer railing against technology should go unsaid, but no one ever called me subtle. I'm sayin' it anyway.  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/sfwa/10039.html

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Blaidd

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »
I love the concept of free books - I practically live at my library. If I had had to buy every book I'd ever read, I'd owe more money than Northern Rock right now.

Sites offering payment-free stories and books are just the current generation's answer to libraries. I don't believe they will ever take away a person's desire to own a physical copy of a book - there is something rather wonderful about packing away in your suitcase that motheaten, dogeared copy you must have read a thousand times, safe in the knowledge when you return it will be a thousand-and-one. It's also a bit uncomfortable taking your laptop to bed for a bit of late night reading.

You may not like every author of every free story, book or excerpt you ever read, but there will be some who read them who would not otherwise have had the opportunity, who fall in love with the characters and become dedicated fans.

I found the Dresden books thanks to my local library, and have gone on to buy the whole series despite having already read most of them for free.

Personally, I find reading short stories on the internet easier than trying to read books but that's probably down to the time I spend doing other things on my computer.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »
But what do you think of these sort of sites?

I don't use them myself, I do enough reading off a screen in my day job.

From what people who have done this a lot, like Charlie Stross and Cory Doctorow, post about what it does for their sales, it's clearly a successful way of getting your book out to more people who will then buy a hard copy and/or your other books, so I'm all for it on those grounds.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
I've found stuff to read on the Baen site that's out of print or unavailable in the local bookstore, particularly early workd by authors I've just now discovered. Project Gutenberg is a great reference source for the classics, and has a bigger selection of stuff than I have room for in my home library.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH