Linked Events

• Signing: Chicago, IL: April 08, 2008

Author Topic: Signing: Chicago, IL, on April 8th  (Read 17149 times)

Offline maieo

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Reality and you don't get along, do you?
Re: Signing: Chicago, IL, on April 8th
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
I'm not an expert on these things, but I called the store and this is a paraphrased account of our conversation.

The store doesn't have rules about how much is signed, the authors do. And I'm pretty sure that Borders doesn't mind if you haven't bought the book there, but they'd probably prefer it.
"Have you met my conscience? It's bigger than my personality!"

Offline Grim

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »
What are the 'rules' for these?  I already have "Small Favor" so can I bring my copy for him to sign, or do they not let you do that?  Will he sign my "Storm Front" paperback if I bring it?

Jim's cool. He won't go, "you no buy here, me no sign now, Ugh." I bought mine in Sacramento on the release date and got it signed out in Frisco three days later.

I've seen him sign peoples' whole collections so I'm sure he'll sign Storm Front. I think as long as you don't haul in a truck load trying to turn a profit on signed memorabilia, it'll be cool.

Edit:Store policy and crowd size may play a factor.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:46:58 PM by Grim »
I have returned.

Offline corran horn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
Thanks much for the responses.  Looking forward to tonight.

Offline tagnizkur

• Conversationalist
  • 1 IN 88 The numbers grow!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 10:03:51 PM »
CHICAGO, IL
Tuesday, April  8, 7:30 PM  CST
BORDERS BOOKS & MUSIC #020
1500 16th St, Ste D
Oak Brook, IL  60523

Well Mr Butcher, I fear I shall miss this after all.  I have my sons baseball game, which i am going to now, and then I am off to his swim lessons.  :( 

Jim, perhaps if you ever come through Chicago again, you can stop by my place of employment. 
My Sons Page, click to support us in the walk.
http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
Autism Speaks, Its Time to Listen.

Offline Drefanie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
This was a blast!!  Such a good time.  Even if was really, really, really late when I left.   ;)

Offline corran horn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:23 PM »
This was a blast!!  Such a good time.  Even if was really, really, really late when I left.   ;)

Agreed!  For those who were not there, Jim gave a Q&A from 7:30p-8:30p and then signed until shortly before the store closed, signing for everyone who was in line.  I was the second to last person he signed for.  I was actually last in line (I had to leave around 9p and then returned) but the girl in front of me had already had something signed so the 'handler' had me go ahead of her.

Jim was great.  He signed my copy of "Small Favor" as well as my paperbacks of "Storm Front" and the first Alera book.  (which I have not read...yet!)

Jim's Q&A was great, stories about how he started, how he picked Chicago for Dresden, the story about his dog protecting his son from a bear...good times.

Was glad to hear about Jim's next series, a "Men in Black"-ish series set on the Moon.  Also learned Alera will apparently hit it's planned ending at book 6, and that there will be probably 20 +/- 1 or 2 and then the apocalyptic trilogy to end it.

It was a great time.  I guess about 200 showed up...I heard many store employees saying this was a lot more than they had expected.  They sold out of "Small Favor" in fact!

I want to thank Jim for staying and signing so late.  I had family obligations so I had to leave around 9p, as I said, but when things settled down at home I noticed online the store closed at 11pm and since signing was going slowly when I left I thought I might have some luck if I returned to the store, and I did.  It was great to see so many of Jim's fans out on a very stormy night.

Offline Kirra

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 09:43:23 PM »
It was a dark and stormy night....

Couldn't resist the bad line.  I brought my middle school age son w me and finally left before getting my book signed as I began to feel ever more guilty about keeping him out on a school night, but karma got me for leaving.  It really was raining and yucky out.    After we jumped in the car, I tossed my purse down, put the book and the back seat  and twisted around to turn on the car except my car keys had disappeared.  My son thought he saw me put them in my purse.  After dumping and digging through the contents of my really huge bag-no keys-, we kept looking.  We looked in the rain around the car, under the car, in the back seat...no keys.  Finally found them between my seat and the middle console (after having already looked there once).  Sigh, I really did enjoy Jim's Q&A session though.
Kirra

Offline soltari_mage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
My friends and I had a great time at the signing last night.  The Q and A session was hilarious and it's a shame it was only an hour long.  I could have listened to that for hours.  It was definitely worth the drive from Grand Rapids, MI, even with the requisite hour and a half delay because of Chicago drivers and rain.  I started the Dresden series only a month ago but I've become a big fan and the series is quickly becoming a top favorite of mine.  Meeting Jim just made that even better.  Keep on writing. 

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 03:47:56 AM »
Hey Mage - Nother Michiganian here! And Semper Fi is from your side of the hand. Welcome!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline robyn_bski

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
It was a dark and stormy night....

Yes, yes it was. The signing and the Q&A session was made of awesome, but driving back to Champaign in the storm was the most terrifying driving experience of my life. Thankfully my copilot and I made it home in one piece, despite the fact that the rain kept eating the road in front of us. "Where'd the road go?" "Who knows, just keep driving."  :o

Offline Cold Revenge

• Posty McPostington
  • The Dude abides, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 05:18:09 AM »
My friends and I had a great time at the signing last night.  The Q and A session was hilarious and it's a shame it was only an hour long.  I could have listened to that for hours.  It was definitely worth the drive from Grand Rapids, MI, even with the requisite hour and a half delay because of Chicago drivers and rain.  I started the Dresden series only a month ago but I've become a big fan and the series is quickly becoming a top favorite of mine.  Meeting Jim just made that even better.  Keep on writing. 

What part of GR you reside in, if you don't mind my asking? If you do, disreguard my last. I'm in Comstock Park.

Offline switt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 08:17:59 PM »
I was also at the book signing on the 8th with my 12 year old son.  We both had a great time.  We were towards the end of the line getting our books signed.  Jim is really a great guy.  Hell's Bells, he was there past 11pm.  I don't know how many authors would be there that long.  He signed everything.  It was nice to meet him.  Hey, Jim, if you read this, a Big Thanks for being so patient and gracious.  I'm sure you had writer's cramps when it was over.  You are a great guy!  My son is still talking about meeting you!!  It was nice getting a chance to say hello and let you know how much we love your books!

Offline soltari_mage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
What part of GR you reside in, if you don't mind my asking? If you do, disreguard my last. I'm in Comstock Park.

Wyoming. 

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »
*Cry* i missed this........how?
i am sad, i hope he makes another trip here and i find out about it.
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.