Linked Events

• Signing: Phoenix, AZ: April 06, 2008

Author Topic: Signing: Phoenix, AZ, on April 6th  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Signing: Phoenix, AZ, on April 6th
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
PHOENIX, AZ
Sunday, April  6, 2:00 PM  MST
POISONED PEN
4014 N Goldwater Blvd, Ste 101
Scottsdale, AZ  85251-4327

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Signing: Phoenix, AZ, on April 6th
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Jim in the Phoenix area again.  The Poisoned Pen has remodeled since last time and should be able to accomodate a bigger crowd, so don't be shy about coming out to the signing.  Last year, there was also a signing at the book festival, so the crowd was split up some.

Note that there are two other authors scheduled for 1 pm before Jim.  I'm not sure how they will be handling the two sessions, though.

Lee Whiteside

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:20:50 AM »
Durn it! Will be in Phoenix in June...  >:(
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Bosswald

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:31 AM »
Hey, what's the etiquette on this sort of thing?  Can I bring all the books I own, or just the hardcovers, or just one?  Am I obligated to purchase something at the Poisoned Pen (not that that's a problem.)  Last time I was at a signing I was 8, and I just vaguely remember standing in line and Anne McCaffery smiling at me.  (My mom took me.  A very nice lady, and I still have my signed book.)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »
Durn it! Will be in Phoenix in June...  >:(

JUNE??? Nope, Poisoned Pen event calenard still confirms the times already posted..... ??
I spoke with Patrick (patrick@poisonedpen.com) and was in the store and they are happy to help anyone making arrangements.  Parking could be a problem.  Also for long time AZ people--they did move, it's lovely but now at Goldwater and 1st, no longer on Main...  I seem to remember stairs if you came in from the back, so call to check out handicap accessibility.  Patrick clearly remembered Jim Butcher and was looking forward to meeting him again.  he said Jim referred to himself as strickly a sci fi uber! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
I think Murphy's Stunt Double was indicating that she would be in Phoenix in June, not Jim, thus missing the signing.  For MSD, if you are a Laurell K. Hamilton fan, and in Phoenix on June 5th, The Poisoned Pen will be hosting a talk and signing by her at the Scottsdale Public Library.  That one you do have to buy a book.  http://www.poisonedpen.com/event-calendar/laurell-k-hamilton

As for Jim's signing, they will likely be doing it ticketed for the line, and the ticket you get when you buy the book.  Those that don't buy a book there are at the end of the line.  I'll see if I can find out when they will start doing the tickets.  They usually don't limit copies signed, but if you have multiples of old books, they would certainly prefer you buy the new book from them.

The stairs on the back side are for the upper level, not the book store.  Parking is somewhat limited at the store, but you can park along the side streets there.  For those of you who were there last year, they have expanded the size of the store, but it will likely still be packed since last year the fans were split between the Poisoned Pen and the Arizona  Book Festival for the most part.

Lee Whiteside

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »
Thank you for the information, Lee, but unfortunately I won't be arriving in Phoenix until the 7th to speak at a convention the following Tuesday. Would be nice to come in earlier, but I've pretty much already stretched the playtime for this one to its limits.

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
There was a very good crowd at Poisoned Pen, more than they planned for.  They ended up running out to some other stores to buy books from them so they'd have enough.  (They do arrange for signings at B&N occasionally so they do have a corporate account there).  I tried to warn them that last year's crowd wasn't as big as it could have been since Jim did an appearance at the AZ Book Festival the day before.  This time it was the only appearance in town so there was a full house.

He was very funny and relaxed during the Q&A.  Nothing revealed that I can remember that hasn't already been mentioned on reports from the other Q&A's.  I did take a few pictures.  I'll hopefully get them posted on my blog in the new few days (http://sftvblog.blogspot.com)

Lee

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
thanks for the update.  i'll look forward to seeing the photos when I've got some time.  I called early on the 6th to confirm they had the audio book and the hard back on reserve for me.  I was a little worried when they told me they only had a couple of the audio books. So relieved they scrounged up some more copies somewhere!  Cute store, don't you think?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline clichekiller

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »
doh'   :'(  That's what I get for not checking the boards soon enough.  I'm sorry I missed this.