Author Topic: Character resentment  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
Character resentment
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Question - when reading a book with a large cast of POV characters, do you, as a reader, ever resent the second and third POV characters for taking time away from the first POV character you meet as a reader?

I'm just wondering if I'm unique in this.  I always consider the first POV character I meet in a series to be more..."alpha", or "better", or "THE main character".

If you do feel this as a reader, does it affect the way you write?
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Character resentment
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:17:33 AM »
i read Robert Jordans wheel of time series.

I liked rand the most at first.   
  By the end of the series, i was skipping to the scenes with Matt, because Rand turned into a whiner.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:28:38 AM »
Yup, I cringe when Isana is center stage in the Alera books, becuase I think she's boring.
Likewise, I can't stand the Nyneave focused parts of WOT and I really, really can't stand the Richard focus in LKH.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:37:55 AM »
Lightsabre--LKH = Laurell K. Hamilton?  Because she's a one-point-of-view author.  We never get Richard's Point of View.  It's all Anita.  Unless you mean someone else when you say LKH.

Does anyone find them self resenting the screen time of the secondary POV characters, not because they dislike the character themselves, or think they're boring, but just because they're "stealing" time from the main POV character?  Even if the secondary POV character is written just as well?

It eventually wears off for me, I just notice it whenever I start books with a large cast of Point-of-View characters.  I really noticed it in Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series...I wanted to stay with Liath (sp?), and didn't really care about anyone else.  I also noticed it with Robin Hobb's Ship series.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:42:26 AM »
Lightsabre--LKH = Laurell K. Hamilton?  Because she's a one-point-of-view author.  We never get Richard's Point of View.  It's all Anita.  Unless you mean someone else when you say LKH.
When the focus of the story is about richard,not when the narrator changes.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »
I'm just wondering if I'm unique in this.  I always consider the first POV character I meet in a series to be more..."alpha", or "better", or "THE main character".

How do you react to something with a prologue or opening chapter from one POV that sets that character up and then goes into other POVs for the main story ?

Me, it depends on how much space they are getting in the story and how important their stuff is to the overall plot.  Lots of twiddling around on side issues can get annoying, but lots of shapes of stories do not have a single main character; the In Conquest Born shape where you have a major war between two very different civilisations and one major POV character on each side, for example.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »

Depends entirely on how interesting/engaging I find the other characters.

But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale